Apple adds 23 new U.S. banks to list of Apple Pay providers

Posted:
in iPhone
As part of the continued gradual rollout of the Apple Pay payments service, Apple on Wednesday announced support for 23 new banks and credit unions supplementing Tuesday's Canadian deployments.

Like every other month's Apple Pay additions, Wednesday's inclusions includes a number of smaller financial institutions. The additions were announced through Apple's updated list of Apple Pay providers.

U.S. banks added Wednesday:

• 1st Mariner Bank
  • 1st Summit Bank
  • Athens State Bank
  • Bronco Federal Credit Union
  • Consolidated Federal Credit Union
  • Elevations Credit Union
  • First Federal Yamhill County
  • First National Bank & Trust
  • First National Bank of Clarksdale
  • Grand Bank of Texas
  • Metairie Bank
  • Northmark Bank
  • Novation Credit Union
  • Security Bank of Kansas City
  • Tech Credit Union
  • The Tennessee Credit Union
  • Thrivent Federal Credit Union
  • Trustco Bank
  • Unify Financial Credit Union.
  • Visions Federal Credit Union
  • Vons Credit Union
  • West Virginia Central Credit Union
  • Wildfire Credit Union

The US banks were revealed after Tuesday's additions of Scotiabank subsidiary Tangerine and President's Choice Financial MasterCard support.

Apple Pay launched in the U.S in October 2014 as a service for both point-of-sale transactions, as well as in-app purchases. It relies on a tokenization system that helps to prevent credit card fraud. Apple Pay adoption is estimated to be at 12 million active users per month, and rising.

The payment service is now available in Australia, Canada, China, France, Hong Kong, Singapore, Switzerland, and the U.K.

Apple announced improvements to the Apple Pay system at June's WWDC, with the forthcoming implementation of "Pay with Apple Pay" bringing online payments to iOS 10 and macOS Sierra.

A number of retailer additions have been promised for 2016. Anthropologie and Forever 21 were promised at launch, but remain unable to accept the payments..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Keep them coming...
    Looking forward to ApplePay on the web this fall.
     Go Apple !
  • Reply 2 of 5
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Already great to get more banks on board. How about more businesses on board also!!! That's still way lagging here in the U.S. Lets see a lot more Apple Pay terminal support. The day of leaving all my cards at home can't come fast enough. My main bank card still has NO chip in it. Here it is coming up almost a year later come October where the big switch over was suppose to happen where liability was turned to the business and no longer the credit card company if they still allowed card swiping. With the exception being if the bank hadn't released chip cards and then it's still on them. Well it looks like they don't seem to care all that much and are in no rush still. Let all the fraud continue!!!!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    theres not much apple can do if your retailers haven't updated their POS terminals to those w/ NFC readers. more and more are, even the cheapie POSTs can due NFC now. some retailers have upgraded but dont even realize they now accept NFC payments. 

in time all retailers will upgrade and everyone will know how to use them.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    sog35 said:
    worthless if only 10% of the stores accept ApplePay
    Right. Because everything new always starts off with 100% acceptance. 

Where do you get 10% from? Is that a hard number? And why would I care if all merchants accept it if the ones I frequent do? For me Apple Pay is accepted at well over 10% of the places where I shop.

I find new places all the time, like a small, family owned farm a few minutes from me where I stopped today and found out they now take AP. 

It has almost no effect on me that Anthropologie and Forever 21 don't accept it yet, I have literally never shopped at either. CVS is about the only place I'm regularly at that still doesn't accept Apple Pay.