Apple debuts new 'Shot on iPhone' ad featuring Maya Angelou

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    apple ][ said:
    limeymick said:
    The Russians love their children too. 
    I wasn't thinking of the Russians really. As a matter of fact, I am in favor of improving US-Russia relations.
    Apologies, I was lazily quoting a Sting song from 1985 rather than coming up with something incite full myself! I believe the sentiment still holds though. I'd consider global shared human values to be a love of our family, friends, homeland, nature, humour, music, art ... 
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 22 of 28
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Fabulous advert; great photography, great poem, great presentation. Bravo!
  • Reply 23 of 28
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    apple ][ said:
    limeymick said:
    The Russians love their children too. 
    I wasn't thinking of the Russians really. As a matter of fact, I am in favor of improving US-Russia relations.
    you're missing the point, which obviously is that there certainly are global values, such as a parent's love for their child. 
  • Reply 24 of 28
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    apple ][ said:
    I disagree with the message presented in the commercial. Very naive and dangerous.

A couple of the pictures were decent though, but I'm not feeling the overall message.
    only a complete xenophobic lunatic would have a problem with "the message" of human love and understanding. 

wtf is wrong with some of you, I wonder. please tell me you're an old person, so we won't have this problem for much longer. 
    edited August 2016 ronnsplif
  • Reply 25 of 28
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    apple ][ said:
    There's a difference between the globalism you are referring to and globally shared human values. This advert speaks to the latter.
    Ok, I see what you mean.

Is there really such a thing as shared global values though?

Globally speaking, large parts of the planet do not share the same values that we might hold.
    I'm not sure I'd agree large parts of the planet don't share the same basic values.  The physics of humans dictates that we get up each day and try to sustain ourselves and our families, and I think that most humans develop their value system around those physics.  Don't toss your trash in your neighbor's yard, don't kick his dog, don't steal from his garden.  Work hard, be proud of what you have created in life, and respect that not everyone shares your beliefs and opinions.  I think it's individuals and segments of society who deviate from these values.  You see more people in Syria, et al fleeing ISIS than joining, and many of those joining are being forced to do so.  As an example.  So that whole region isn't one that's fundamentally opposed to basic human values; it's that the structures that protect those who do have broken down and a minority of extremists have perverted things.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 26 of 28
    trixtrix Posts: 1member
    apple ][ said:
    I disagree with the message presented in the commercial. Very naive and dangerous.

A couple of the pictures were decent though, but I'm not feeling the overall message.
    only a complete xenophobic lunatic would have a problem with "the message" of human love and understanding. 

wtf is wrong with some of you, I wonder. please tell me you're an old person, so we won't have this problem for much longer. 
    WTF is wrong with you?  When did "the message of human love and understanding" have an expiration date?  BTW - most people don't even recognize Maya Angelou as the author and narrator - and she lived a long and meaningful life.  Grandparents aren't always idiots.  Respect EVERYONE!
    dre
  • Reply 27 of 28
    dredre Posts: 1member
    I am a Grandma. I love Apple products and Maya Angelou! The ad is great! I will admit not too many of us "old" Apple users will be able or likely to pick the ad apart like some of you younger critics. (Or for that matter access this apple insider forum.)
  • Reply 28 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    maybe idealistic is a better word.
    That's another word for 'uneducated', on the left.