Apple might launch wireless earbuds with power saving Bluetooth chip in September

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    ...is there a health concern going beyond merely sticking a radiating device next to the head, in actually inserting a radiating device into the head...? If nixing the conventional port facilitates a truly waterproof iPhone is that perhaps worth the trade off...?
    wozwoz
  • Reply 22 of 36
    foljs said:
    What a bunch of morons if they use that design. IT SUCKS LIKE NOTHING ELSE. I mean people have different ear sizes. But apple thinks one size fits all.

The old ones where even better, atleast you cuold upgrade them with standard old meshing to snug the fit so they dont constantly drop out of the ear. So annoying.... I wouldn't pay a dime for those. NOT even if i buy the phone because i still pay for them in the phone.
    What are you going on about? This is the first time I hear someone complaining for headphones not fitting them because of different ear size. Outlier much?

I kinda have to agree with the different ear sizes. I can't wear the EarPod design because of that. The little "cutouts" in my ears where the earbud is supposed to sit is two slightly different sizes with me, so they constantly fall out with any slight movement. Usually can only wear in ear stuff. But, I'm not going to bitch about it. The vast majority of people seem to really enjoy them, so I just give mine away when I get a new iPhone. There's always other options.
    Habi_tweet
  • Reply 23 of 36
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,296member
    All i can say is WHEW! 

This is very much in line with what I think Apple needs to do in order to make removing the audio jack a good idea. 

I really hope this is true, because it really needs to be true. 

xmhillx
  • Reply 24 of 36
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mobius said:
    They need to build in a tiny parachute that deploys when it senses it's fallen out and started to plunge to inevitable doom on the ground below. Or, better yet, a tiny motor and propellers that deploy in the same circumstances and send it back to base (there could be a slight chance of accidental deployment causing painful and unsightly slashes to the user's face - but a small price to pay in the name of progress!).

kickstarter?  :)
    While full-sized BT headphones have optional wires to plug them in to charge them, and use them as analogue headphones when the battery runs out, I do wonder if such a thing might be possible with these EarPods. Maybe some kind of magnetic cable which sticks to the exterior of the buds that uses inductive transfer for power as well as signal. That would be ideal in some situations where body movements during exercise dislodges one, then at least it would be teathered to something. Or maybe just simple ear clips add ons,
    jbishop1039
  • Reply 25 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    This COULD be nice. Would be even nicer if they also released a new iPod shuffle with Bluetooth for fitness folks.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    cnocbui said:
    There is another huge aspect to battery life with Li-ion batteries and that is they generally start to need replacing in 3 years.  My 2012 MBPR is giving me a warning in the menu bar - 'replace soon' and battery life isn't great.

These earbuds won't be cheap, I would guess around $180.  I doubt the batteries will be replaceable, so even though some people have deep enough pockets they would think little of ditching a $180 pair of earbuds every 3-4 years, for everyone else, these might not be very good value for money.
    which apple products with non-user-servicable batteries also dont allow service techs to replace the battery? getting the battery replaced is never the same price as buying an entire new replacement.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    ...is there a health concern going beyond merely sticking a radiating device next to the head, in actually inserting a radiating device into the head...? If nixing the conventional port facilitates a truly waterproof iPhone is that perhaps worth the trade off...?
    do you have any sources that prove BT headphones pose a dangerous radiation risk? or are you just making things up?
    edited August 2016 anome
  • Reply 28 of 36
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    cnocbui said:
    There is another huge aspect to battery life with Li-ion batteries and that is they generally start to need replacing in 3 years.  My 2012 MBPR is giving me a warning in the menu bar - 'replace soon' and battery life isn't great.

These earbuds won't be cheap, I would guess around $180.  I doubt the batteries will be replaceable, so even though some people have deep enough pockets they would think little of ditching a $180 pair of earbuds every 3-4 years, for everyone else, these might not be very good value for money.
    which apple products with non-user-servicable batteries also dont allow service techs to replace the battery? getting the battery replaced is never the same price as buying an entire new replacement.
    Some people try to look for anything to knock an Apple product. Even possible Apple products or ideas.  Sad really. 
  • Reply 29 of 36
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    Why would any sane person insert a device that emits radiation INTO their head?  Make it juicy and stick your finger in the wall socket at the same time.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Bluetooth headphones receive, mostly, they don't transmit unless you press one of the buttons, so would only transmit at very low levels only rarely and very briefly.

Bluetooth devices transmit over a few meters.  If you talk on your phone you are transmitting several kilometers.  Which do you think would be the safer one to have close to your head?
    badmonk
  • Reply 31 of 36
    cnocbui said:

You know perfectly well these would be so small as to make it uneconomical in terms of labour to replace the batteries.

The battery in the iPad Pro pencil is not replaceable.

The battery, enough for a 12 hour run, is impossible to replace, giving the device a limited lifespan.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple+Pencil+Teardown/52955

• Reply 32 of 36
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    do you have any sources that prove BT headphones pose a dangerous radiation risk? or are you just making things up?
    ...it was in fact a question - and no assertion was made...?

I have read reports of cell use being risky, and also realize historically Bluetooth has been a lower power...

Personally I have had poor results in BT audio use, including (even this am) major volume adjustment latency issues with current iOS/iTunes,
    but have no explanation or D+C for such, and simply make do...
  • Reply 33 of 36
    i thinks that's really great idea. And the most important thing is that- they provide high quality and service of their product. I will be happy to have Bluetooth yarphone from Apple. How much I have to pay for them? :)
  • Reply 34 of 36
    i thinks that's really great idea. And the most important thing is that- they provide high quality and service of their product. I will be happy to have Bluetooth yarphone from Apple. How much I have to pay for them? :)
    Around $200
  • Reply 35 of 36
    foljs said:
    What a bunch of morons if they use that design. IT SUCKS LIKE NOTHING ELSE. I mean people have different ear sizes. But apple thinks one size fits all.

The old ones where even better, atleast you cuold upgrade them with standard old meshing to snug the fit so they dont constantly drop out of the ear. So annoying.... I wouldn't pay a dime for those. NOT even if i buy the phone because i still pay for them in the phone.
    What are you going on about? This is the first time I hear someone complaining for headphones not fitting them because of different ear size. Outlier much?
    I don't know anything about the "majority" but asking all my colegues that have iPhones say they can't use the original since they fall out of the ears and are annoying if you move around because of this. I think we have around 30 users att work. Maybe it's because here in Scandinavia  we aren't such pygmies and average man is 181,5cm. Many are around 2 meters. This could explain people that live in the us that are just smaller than people elsewhere.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    "You're wearing them wrong."  That's the only position I imagine Apple taking, as they can't be so dense as to not be aware there are people for whom EVERY EARBUD DESIGN GOING BACK AT LEAST AS FAR AS THE IPHONE 4S JUST FALLS OUT OF THE EAR AFTER LESS THAN TWO MINUTES.  WITHOUT FAIL.   4S was my first iPhone, so can't speak to whatever they shipped with previous iPhones.  Argh!

Not a single member of my family has ever been able to keep the Apple supplied ear buds in place for more than a couple of minutes at a time.  They stay in the box until it's time to sell the phone.

Our ears must be defective. 

My wife and I both have a set of Nokia 905 noise cancelling headphones/headset.  It's both Bluetooth and wired.  While my ears are no longer as sensitive as they once were, an audiophile friend of mine says they are some of the best he's ever used.  Fortunately, I got them when they were still new, so they were reasonably priced, and not outrageously so, like they are now, if you can find them. :)