Apple CarPlay coming to higher-end models of Honda's 2017 Civic Hatchback

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    proline said:
    That is why CarPlay isn't all that great.  I can do everything with Bluetooth without having to plug in the phone to see eye-candy for a display.  All that eye-candy is probably too much of a battery drain over Bluetooth, so Apple requires the iPhone to be plugged in.
    The high-quality maps that CarPlay provides are far from eye-candy- they have a real safety benefit over audio-only or looking down at your phone. They are especially good on iOS 10.

The Civic has a USB port down low in the front which is high-powered and allows rapid charging. I leave a lighting cable connected to that all the time- it takes all of three seconds to plug a phone in. After 20 minutes in the car you could either be plugged in and have a phone that is 20% more charged, or have one that is charged 10% less after running the GPS and sending video/audio over the air. When I unplug, iOS 10 marks where I left the car on the map. Pretty obvious wired is better.
    This. CarPlay is a completely different experience from using Bluetooth + standard vehicle display and UI.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    sog35 said:
    cnocbui said:

LOL. Agree.

To me real luxury is having a reliable car. Not a BMW or Merc that is at the repair shop every month. LOL.

I could easily afford a Merc/BMW but choose not to. Not only are they ridiculously overpriced, require expensive repairs, but most importantly in 5 years they are worth crap because no one wants to buy a 5 year old german car that breaks down every other week.
    I agree.  I seem to recall we both buy SH cars and let someone else cop the big initial depreciation hit and sort out any teething/warranty issues for us. :-)

I have just discovered that the actual cost to replace the failing battery in my 2012 RMBP is $740 - way more than I have spent on maintenance for my car.  I don't consider that to be  either good value or any sign of quality I expect from a several thousand dollar laptop, nor do I consider that a replacement battery should be priced so as to effectively make such an expensive device a disposable item.  The outer insulation on the power cable for it is flaking off at an accelerating rate, too.  That isn't quality either.  I wish Honda made laptops.