Apple Pay's August expansion surge continues with 37 more US banks

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2016
Apple continues pushing forward with its deployment of the Apple Pay service, adding 37 new banks and credit unions to the already expansive list of supporting financial institutions.

Like the Apple Pay expansion in early August, Wednesday's inclusions add a number of small, local financial institutions. The additions were once again announced through Apple's list of Apple Pay providers.

Banks added Wednesday include:

• Bank of St. Francisville
  • Bank of Winnfield & Trust Company
  • Billings Federal Credit Union
  • Central Bank, Oklahoma
  • Citizens Business Bank
  • City County Employees Credit Union
  • First Community Bank
  • First Federal Bank of Florida
  • First International Bank & Trust
  • First Internet Bank of Indiana
  • First Volunteer Bank
  • Homebank
  • Industrial State Bank
  • Kitsap Credit Union
  • KleinBank
  • LA Capitol Federal Credit Union
  • Member One Federal Credit Union
  • Midwest Bankcentre
  • National Bank of Commerce
  • Needham Bank
  • Northwestern Bank
  • Park Side Credit Union
  • Park State Bank & Trust
  • Redstone Federal Credit Union
  • Scenic Community Credit Union
  • Services Credit Union
  • Springs Valley Bank and Trust
  • State Bank of Chilton
  • Summit State Bank
  • Sun Federal Credit Union
  • The Arlington Bank
  • The Bank of Hemet
  • U.S. Postal Service Federal Credit Union
  • Union Bank
  • United Bank of Union
  • Valley View Bank
  • West Financial Credit Union

On Tuesday, Hong Kong's Bank of East Asia and Telekom's Tap & Go were added to Apple Pay. Both banks are incentivizing users to sign up with promotions rewarding users for repeated use of the service.

Apple Pay debuted with a U.S.-only launch in October 2014. At present, the system is capable of both point-of-sale transactions, as well as in-app purchases. Apple Pay utilizes a token-based system with each transaction identifier only able to be used for a single purchase, helping to prevent credit card fraud.

Apple does not generally discuss specific Apple Pay adoption figures in any detail, but Apple CEO Tim Cook noted that the service has grown by 400 percent year-over-year, with three million retailers in the U.S. supporting the service.

Apple Pay is now available in Australia, Canada, China, France, Hong Kong, Singapore, Switzerland, and the U.K.

Apple announced an addition to the Apple Pay system at June's WWDC, bringing online payments to iOS 10 and macOS Sierra through the new "Pay with Apple Pay" service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    The financial institutions aren't the problem, it's the retailers. Is any progress being made on that front? 
    waverboycalirobin huberpatchythepiratemaclvr03
  • Reply 2 of 18
    prokipprokip Posts: 178member
    But not in Australia with 3 of the big 4 banks playing mongrel games with the competition regulator.  They have asked to be given a free pass to act like a cartel to negaotiate with Apple to give them access to the iPhone NFC chip.  Like as if?  Tell em they're dreamin'  Tony  (Tony King Apple GM Australia).  Unfortunately the one big bank that's signed with Apple are about as trustworthy as a footpath (sidewalk) covered in banana skins.

We won't see Apple Pay here anytime soon  :(
  • Reply 3 of 18
    leptonlepton Posts: 111member
    We don't need more banks nearly as much as we need more merchants! Maybe 5% of the places I go to use ApplePay, and I'm looking for them.
    calirobin hubermelodyof1974maclvr03
  • Reply 4 of 18
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Good grief, how many banks are there in the US?
    singularitymelodyof1974lostkiwimaclvr03
  • Reply 5 of 18
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    The financial institutions aren't the problem, it's the retailers. Is any progress being made on that front? 
    Yes, confused cashiers are getting managers from back rooms and asking you to sign receits.

Funny how transactions were complicated for a century and now ApplePay made it so easy it confuses people.
    patchythepiratemaclvr03
  • Reply 6 of 18
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    again: there is no sense in complaining about your random retailers still having legacy POS terminals. ask them if you can use tap to pay, and if not when they plan to update them. even the cheap Verifone terminals accept NFC, even tho there may not be a sticker or if the employee doesn't know. 

once all the old POSTs are replaced then everybody will have tap to pay. until then, complain to your retailers, not Apple or the forums. we can't help. 
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 7 of 18
    prokip said:
    But not in Australia ... Unfortunately the one big bank that's signed with Apple are about as trustworthy as a footpath (sidewalk) covered in banana skins.

I love it when English speakers translate English to other English speakers. Everybody knows the only English no one understands is from Scotland.
    Armada
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Dear Apple pay, come to Sweden already!
  • Reply 9 of 18
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    evilution said:

That was exactly my first thought! Look at some of the names, too.
    • United Bank of Union
    isn't that redundant?

holyone
  • Reply 10 of 18
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,959member
    again: there is no sense in complaining about your random retailers still having legacy POS terminals. ask them if you can use tap to pay, and if not when they plan to update them. even the cheap Verifone terminals accept NFC, even tho there may not be a sticker or if the employee doesn't know. 

once all the old POSTs are replaced then everybody will have tap to pay. until then, complain to your retailers, not Apple or the forums. we can't help. 
    I do, bitterly and regularly. CVS and Home Depot are the worst. My insurance requires me to to get Rx from them, but I pointedly go to RiteAid for everything else, and tell them so. Last time I asked at the Home Depot self checkout line if they accept Pay, the crabby old lady attendant said: "No, and we never will!" Wonder if that was her personal thing, or a management directive?
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 11 of 18
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    evilution said:

• United Bank of Union
    isn't that redundant?

Union may be the town its in, or the company that supports it.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 12 of 18
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    cali said:
    Yes, confused cashiers are getting managers from back rooms and asking you to sign receits.

Funny how transactions were complicated for a century and now ApplePay made it so easy it confuses people.
    I think it mostly confuses people in the US who wonder how you're gonna swipe your phone. As WF say's, its the retailers that need to gear up, and as Cali says, you and I that have to insist. I am surprised that the banks don't insist that retailers insist, or at least market Pay. They, and the CC companies are the ones that have to pay for fraudulent use of cc cards. 

I am not sure if it is the same in Europe (might well be) but I just read that HEI Hotels and Resorts, including Hyatt, Marriott, Starwood and Intercontinental in the US were hit with a targeted malware which may have leaked thousands of users payment details. Apparently the problem with hotels is that even though people pay using chip cards (pay at end of the stay), most hotels swipe your card when you check in and stores all your payment details until you check out and pay securely using the chip. Its a bit like locking your house with a secure lock and key and hanging the key on a hook next to the door so you are sure to have it when you get home. 
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Remind me again, how many banks are supporting CurentC?
  • Reply 14 of 18
    While tap to pay terminal banks are going slow, it's still important for Apple to sign up as many banks as possible.

Not just for tap and pay, but for Apple Pay on websites (which I think is going to be huge).
    paxman
  • Reply 15 of 18
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    prokip said:
    But not in Australia with 3 of the big 4 banks playing mongrel games with the competition regulator.  They have asked to be given a free pass to act like a cartel to negaotiate with Apple to give them access to the iPhone NFC chip.  Like as if?  Tell em they're dreamin'  Tony  (Tony King Apple GM Australia).  Unfortunately the one big bank that's signed with Apple are about as trustworthy as a footpath (sidewalk) covered in banana skins.

Here's the story. My bank (Commonwealth) is one of the 'mongrels'. Might need to switch to the banana skin bank ;-)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-17/banks-ask-for-help-from-accc-in-fight-with-apple-over-apple-pay/7754166

• Reply 16 of 18
    macxpress said:

• United Bank of Union
    isn't that redundant?

Union may be the town its in, or the company that supports it.
    There are little over 6800 banks and credit union's. So Apple Pay has long ways to go in US. 
  • Reply 17 of 18

evilution said:
    Little over 6800 banks and credit unions. So long way to go still
  • Reply 18 of 18
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Yeah Australia has the opposite problems. Almost all the retailers can accept ApplePay, but only 1 bank offer ApplePay.