Apple Pay support coming to Chick-fil-A restaurants this Friday

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2016
After months of waiting, chicken-loving iPhone owners will be able to check out using at Chick-fil-A locations using Apple Pay on Aug. 19, the restaurant chain announced on Wednesday.

Chick-fil-A revealed the coming NFC payments integration in a message posted to its official Twitter account, confirming in-restaurant and drive thru support of both Apple Pay and Android Pay transactions. While the company did not specify a launch market, AppleInsider has received reports of sporadic compatibility at multiple outlets, suggesting Friday's rollout could be nationwide.

Today's tweet comes more than six months after the all-things-chicken chain first announced intent to support Apple's in-house payments system at its point of sale terminals.

Chick-fil-A is the latest major retail chain to partner with Apple, joining rival poultry purveyor KFC, which flipped the switch on Apple Pay in June. Still, while Apple's payments service has enjoyed rapid adoption by U.S. banks and credit unions -- 37 were added earlier today, merchant support is wanting.

During Apple's quarterly conference call for the third fiscal quarter of 2016, CEO Tim Cook touted the payments product's growth, saying Apple Pay is accepted at more than 11 million points of sale worldwide. Engagement is on the rise, too, with monthly Apple Pay users up 400 percent from the same time last year.

Launched domestically in 2014, Apple Pay is now available in nine markets including Australia, Canada, China, France, Hong Kong, Singapore, Switzerland and the UK.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    I'll have to stop by then. 
    potatoleeksoupmac fantallest skil
  • Reply 2 of 52
    Why would anyone want to support a, let's just call them, less than inclusive company? Just sayin'.
    williamlondonbaconstangdtidmoredreyfus2robertwalterjustadcomicslordjohnwhorfindoozydozenslprescottradiospace
  • Reply 3 of 52
    CuJoYYC said:
    Why would anyone want to support a, let's just call them, less than inclusive company? Just sayin'.
    That's a dumb comment.
    SpamSandwichjetpilotthewhitefalconredraider11stevehlkrupptitantigerpscooter63potatoleeksoupdesignr
  • Reply 4 of 52
    CuJoYYC said:
    Why would I want to do a litmus test of everyone and every company with whom I do business? Oh, I need to judge everyone to show how tolerant and inclusive I am!
    douglas baileySpamSandwichjetpilotredraider11napoleon_phoneapartlolliverstevehtitantigerpotatoleeksoupdesignr
  • Reply 5 of 52
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    CuJoYYC said:
    Who, exactly, do they exclude from patronizing their restaurants? Who is banned from entering? Who is not allowed to work for them? Do they have gay detectors?

Oooooh... it's owned by a Christian family whose patriarch CEO expressed support for traditional marriage. Let's label it. Condemn it. Exclude it. Isolate it. Well your ilk tried a boycott and it blew up in your faces. So I guess you can try not using Apple Pay and watch that blow up in your face too. And by the way millions upon millions of people eat regularly at Chick-Fil-A, myself included. Go ahead and condemn me for it. I can take it.
    edited August 2016 williamlondonjetpilotthewhitefalconredraider11lollivermazda 3sstevehtitantigerpscooter63potatoleeksoup
  • Reply 6 of 52
    Apple Pay:  Chicks dig it!
    robertwalterbsenkadoozydozenpscooter63lostkiwimike1mac fan
  • Reply 7 of 52
    I will not support an anti-LGBT business. And I don't care for their 'religious' aura either. The religious tend to be the antithesis of how I think people should behave.
    baconstangdtidmoredreyfus2robertwalterCuJoYYCjustadcomicslordjohnwhorfindoozydozenxbitRoger_Fingas
  • Reply 8 of 52
    Wonder if upon using Apple Pay users are delivered a shock for using a payment system created by a company run by a homosexual. Would be fun if all Apple devices in this chain upon payment emitted a loud, very audible, "Thanks for using Happy Gay Pay!" /s
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 9 of 52
    stevenoz said:
    I will not support an anti-LGBT business. And I don't care for their 'religious' aura either. The religious tend to be the antithesis of how I think people should behave.
    So, keeping quality standards up, being generous with franchisees, closing on Sundays, Thanksgiving, and Christmas to allow people time with their families...these are all principles you disagree with?
    redraider11lolliverstevehtitantigerpscooter63designrlostkiwimac fanspacekidtallest skil
  • Reply 10 of 52
    stevenoz said:
    Do they make a good tasting chicken sandwich? That's all one needs to know to decide whether or not they deserve a person's business.

I hold Apple stock and I strongly disagree with a number of decisions Apple has made in the past and presently. Do I like their products. Yes, I do. Am I thinking of selling all my stock? No.

If such a ludicrous assessment of every single business and every person were the norm, all commerce and all interactions in the world would grind to a halt.
    edited August 2016 redraider11napoleon_phoneapartlollivertitantigerpscooter63potatoleeksoupdesignrlostkiwimike1jony0
  • Reply 11 of 52
    CuJoYYC said:
    Agreed. Not interested in supporting them and Apple has gone out of its way to support LGBT. 
    williamlondondtidmorebaconstangdreyfus2CuJoYYCjustadcomicslordjohnwhorfindoozydozenxbitiosenthusiast
  • Reply 12 of 52
    stevenoz said:
    Do they make a good tasting chicken sandwich? That's all one needs to know to decide whether or not they deserve a person's business.

I hold Apple stock and I strongly disagree with a number of decisions Apple has made in the past and presently. Do I like their products. Yes, I do. Am I thinking of selling all my stock? No.

If such a ludicrous assessment of every single business and every person were the norm, all commerce and all interactions in the world would grind to a halt.
    Thank you, Captain Apologism.
    CuJoYYCbaconstangjustadcomicsdoozydozenronn
  • Reply 13 of 52
    CuJoYYC said:
    Agreed. Not interested in supporting them and Apple has gone out of its way to support LGBT. 
    Yep, doing business in Sharia-compliant countries is definitely supporting them. /s
    SpamSandwichnapoleon_phoneapartredraider11titantigertallest skil
  • Reply 14 of 52
    Yep, doing business in Sharia-compliant countries is definitely supporting them. /s
    Social Justice Warriors are on the warpath here. Completely asinine. Watch yourself! /s

edited August 2016 thewhitefalconbsenkatitantigerdoozydozenpscooter63designrmac fantallest skil
  • Reply 15 of 52
    Social Justice Warriors are on the warpath here. Completely asinine. Watch yourself! /s
    "The pride with which some wear their bigotry sadly overshadows others who are forced to cloak theirs in apologism."
    edited August 2016 justadcomicsronn
  • Reply 16 of 52
    lkrupp said:
    CuJoYYC said:
    Who, exactly, do they exclude from patronizing their restaurants? Who is banned from entering? Who is not allowed to work for them? Do they have gay detectors?

Oooooh... it's owned by a Christian family whose patriarch CEO expressed support for traditional marriage. Let's label it. Condemn it. Exclude it. Isolate it. Well your ilk tried a boycott and it blew up in your faces. So I guess you can try not using Apple Pay and watch that blow up in your face too. And by the way millions upon millions of people eat regularly at Chick-Fil-A, myself included. Go ahead and condemn me for it. I can take it.
    Yeah.  Tell him.  (lol)
    williamlondondoozydozen
  • Reply 17 of 52
    Apple Pay is growing very nicely.

Can't wait for Web ApplePay.
    williamlondonSolibaconstangdoozydozenlolliverslprescottlostkiwironntallest skil
  • Reply 18 of 52
    stevenoz said:
    So, keeping quality standards up, being generous with franchisees, closing on Sundays, Thanksgiving, and Christmas to allow people time with their families...these are all principles you disagree with?
    That's not what people a condemning them for and you know it. But you drop a lousy strawman.  Any company* can do the things you cite especially without discriminating against employees. 

*Apple for example. 
    williamlondonSolibaconstangjustadcomicslordjohnwhorfindoozydozendtidmoreronn
  • Reply 19 of 52
    Apple Pay is growing very nicely.

Can't wait for Web ApplePay.
    Me either!  Will be great when websites won't need to receive my credit card details!
    SpamSandwichSolibaconstanglordjohnwhorfindoozydozenlolliverlostkiwironn
  • Reply 20 of 52
    stevenoz said:
    Either prove that they're anti-LGBT or STFU. Slanderous asshole. No one needs you "social justice warriors" with you anti-tolerant viewpoints. You're a hypocrite. 
    What are you afraid of that you have to react so aggressively?  I'm a Christian and I would boycott them too if they were in my area. 

Given their history, it is rather incumbent upon CFA to prove that their policies don't discriminate; in practice very easy to do by having in their mission statement, or near to it a statement that any kind of discrimination runs contrary to their principles of tolerance and inclusion. 
    edited August 2016 williamlondonbaconstangjustadcomicslordjohnwhorfindtidmoreiosenthusiastronn