Research data suggests Apple iPhone marketshare dropping beyond seasonal averages

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    sog35 said:
    MacBAir said:
    Maybe you should read slower.

Samsung Mobile is growing at a fast pace, and they made 3.8 B$ on operating profit. The responsible? S7. How much did Apple made from iPhones? And what is the tendency here? The tendency is for Apple to drop YoY in the double digits. What is Samsung's Mobile tendency? Growth.

In fact, dropping in net profit and dropping sales of all of their products is Apple's tendency for quarters to come. Fact. Can you dispute that?

Samsung Eletronics, like I correctly said, is growing quickly and will soon surpass Apple even on the net profits department, while also offering better products. They are 2 B$ away (max) to surpass Apple's net profit, while growing fast and Apple declining.

I apologize for thinking that having a better screen on every metric, better camera on every metric, better connectivity on every metric, useful features like fast charging and waterproofing, 64 GB of base storage makes the S7 and Note 7 a far better phone than the iPhone, at least for 9 out of 10 costumers. Yeah, Samsung doesn't need 60% net profit per device sold to be successful. For some strange reason, Apple thinks they do.

Yeah, we could talk about privacy and such, but that has nothing to do with offering 16 GB offerings or computers with TN panels or 5400 rpm hard drives. Besides, 9 out of 10 smartphone users use google services and/or Facebook anyway.
    Its easy for Samsung to 'grow' when their past 3 years of profits have been so PATHETIC compared to Apple.

For 2014 and 2015 combined Samsung Mobile made $21 billion in operating profit. 
    From Oct-Dec 2015 Apple made $24 billion in operating profit..........in 90 days!

LOL!!!!!

So Apple made more profit in 90 days than Samsung Mobile made in 2 years!!!! LOLLOLOLL!!!

Just stop. Samsung isn't even close to Apple's domination.
    Like I said, Samsung electronics is 2 quarters away to make more profits than Apple, while offering superior products. What company is seeing a huge drop in profits? What company is growing? What product is the best?
  • Reply 42 of 50
    sog35 said:
    Except that most carriers, in the US at least, don't quote the full price of the phone. If you go to their website you just see the monthly payment amount of $27 or whatever it might be. I don't think people really believed their phone only cost $199 but now once that monthly installment fee goes away I think people might be less likely to upgrade. Phones are good enough now. 
    You have ZERO proof of this.

Why are you keeping saying BULLSHIT?
    Show me proof that iPhone upgrades has slowed down?
    Show me a SINGLE shred of REAL EVIDENCE?

If not then stop saying BULLSHIT.

People said the same thing when the 4s came out. No reason to upgrade. The iPhone4 is good enough.

People said the same thing when the 5 came out. No reason to upgrade. The iPhone5s is good enough.

Just stop with this BULLSHIT
    Ouch. Just.Ouch.

Okay, I'm evidence. How about that? My 5s has served me really well for the past three years. I was ready to upgrade to the 6 (and then the 6s) but then my carrier stopped subsidizing and what was once a $300 charge to upgrade suddenly became a $900 charge. So, I've stuck with my phone. I will probably upgrade to the 7 later this year, but only because my child is finally ready for a smartphone and I'm sure.as.hell not going to be one of those stupid, irresponsible parents who buys his middle-school kid a $900 phone. So, I'll buy myself a $900 phone and let him have my 5s.

Otherwise, other than needing more than 32gb of storage, I'm still perfectly happy with my 5s. It's not slow. It runs the current iOS just fine. It runs all the software I need it to run just fine. Its photos are just fine. Its fingerprint reader is not as fast as my fiancee's 6s, but it's just fine. I'd like the larger screen, certainly, but my 5s is okay. I'd like to have Pay, but for now I'm okay sliding my card.

Even though I have an option to pay that $900 in installments, $32/month added to my bill is enough to make me think hard before deciding if I want an upgrade, or if my 5s is "good enough."

There. Does that count as real evidence? I'm just one guy, but I seriously doubt I'm the only one who thinks this way.

Oh, and as you mentioned, my battery did start to hold less of a charge. Last year, rather than paying $900 to upgrade my phone, I opted to pay $79 instead for Apple to replace my battery. They ended up replacing my phone, but even if they hadn't, it was a relatively inexpensive way to stretch out my phone until the next upgrade cycle.
    edited August 2016 gwydion
  • Reply 43 of 50
    It would seem entirely natural for Apple to lose smartphone market share now that there are poorer nations and poorer consumers buying smartphones. In theory, Apple could sell just as many iPhones each quarter and still keep losing market share to cheaper Android smartphones. How does that seriously hurt Apple? Without seeing those other companies' profitability you can't tell whether those rival companies' business model is sustainable for a long period of time. I'm sure Hyundai or Toyota are gaining vehicle market share over Mercedes-Benz but does that really hurt Mercedes-Benz? Does that indicate that Mercedes-Benz is a doomed company because they sell far fewer vehicles than those other two companies mentioned?

For a company like Apple to have small market share and yet make such large profits should be praiseworthy but yet it's always Apple said to be doomed and not those smaller rival companies. There has to be more than just the simple market share metric to tell whether a company is doing well or not. And basing market share on shipments seems dishonest. How many smartphones might be just sitting in inventory or on shelves and not being sold? I don't doubt the numbers but without a thorough explanation those numbers are rather useless in indicating Apple's health as a company. I always remember Nokia having huge global market share but that still wasn't enough to keep the company from collapsing. I would think keeping the financial books in the black is far more important than market share but maybe I'm wrong.

I would think over time these Android smartphone companies that are having such huge market share gains now will also suffer sales losses at some point as the smartphone market becomes even more saturated.  Some other companies will come along and undercut their pricing.  Everyone said Xiaomi was unbeatable but that's not the case.  It's hard to tell with accuracy what the future will offer for any company.  Analysts think they have a formula for predicting a company's success or failure but I think that's BS.  Nothing is set in stone.  It makes sense to me consumers living in China or India can't afford iPhones but Apple is still selling iPhones to consumers who can afford them.  Those consumers won't necessarily jump platforms to buy a cheaper smartphone.  Only time will tell.
    edited August 2016 palomine
  • Reply 44 of 50
    It would seem entirely natural for Apple to lose smartphone market share now that there are poorer nations and poorer consumers buying smartphones. In theory, Apple could sell just as many iPhones each quarter and still keep losing market share to cheaper Android smartphones. How does that seriously hurt Apple? Without seeing those other companies' profitability you can't tell whether those rival companies' business model is sustainable for a long period of time. I'm sure Hyundai or Toyota are gaining vehicle market share over Mercedes-Benz but does that really hurt Mercedes-Benz? Does that indicate that Mercedes-Benz is a doomed company because they sell far fewer vehicles than those other two companies mentioned?

For a company like Apple to have small market share and yet make such large profits should be praiseworthy but yet it's always Apple said to be doomed and not those smaller rival companies. There has to be more than just the simple market share metric to tell whether a company is doing well or not. And basing market share on shipments seems dishonest. How many smartphones might be just sitting in inventory or on shelves and not being sold? I don't doubt the numbers but without a thorough explanation those numbers are rather useless in indicating Apple's health as a company. I always remember Nokia having huge global market share but that still wasn't enough to keep the company from collapsing. I would think keeping the financial books in the black is far more important than market share but maybe I'm wrong.

I would think over time these Android smartphone companies that are having such huge market share gains now will also suffer sales losses at some point as the smartphone market becomes even more saturated.  Some other companies will come along and undercut their pricing.  Everyone said Xiaomi was unbeatable but that's not the case.  It's hard to tell with accuracy what the future will offer for any company.  Analysts think they have a formula for predicting a company's success or failure but I think that's BS.  Nothing is set in stone.  It makes sense to me consumers living in China or India can't afford iPhones but Apple is still selling iPhones to consumers who can afford them.  Those consumers won't necessarily jump platforms to buy a cheaper smartphone.  Only time will tell.
    Apple is selling less phones. Apple is selling less iPads. Apple is selling less macs. Apple is making less money. An offering from other OEM, like the s7, costs the same but is much superior because it has a camera superior on every metric, screen superior on every metric, waterproof, has fast charging, looks better, much better battery life, has a lot more base storage so it isn't a pathetic base offering and so on.

Costumers are fed up with Apple.
    singularitycnocbui
  • Reply 45 of 50
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    cropr said:
    eriamjh said:
    Apple still has 90+% of the profits.
    I doubt it.  The 90% figure was for last  year when the Samsung profits were at  a very low level due to low sales figures of the S6.  But now the profits of Samsung mobile phone division has increased significantly thanks to the successful S7.  The profits of the iPhone has decreased slightly.   So most probably Apple has still the majority of the profits in the order of 50 to 60 percent.
    S7's are being given away for free. Not sure how that helps them gain profit share
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 46 of 50
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    latifbp said:
    cropr said:
    I doubt it.  The 90% figure was for last  year when the Samsung profits were at  a very low level due to low sales figures of the S6.  But now the profits of Samsung mobile phone division has increased significantly thanks to the successful S7.  The profits of the iPhone has decreased slightly.   So most probably Apple has still the majority of the profits in the order of 50 to 60 percent.
    S7's are being given away for free. Not sure how that helps them gain profit share
    Not by Samsung, unless it's to sweeten a much larger potential transaction that has large margins for them.  Apple give away stuff 'for free' with their back to school offers - I have an email from Apple offering me a free pair of Beats If I buy a Macbook, sitting in my inbox.
    edited August 2016 gwydion
  • Reply 47 of 50
    The global economy is weak and people are more uncertain about their futures than normal. These feelings have flared up again in recent months due to such things as Brexit, ongoing war in the Middle East, continuing low energy prices, sanctions that disrupt trade between Russia and Europe, China's economic slowdown and crack-down on corruption (demand for luxury goods), etc. Stagnant incomes and uncertainty cause people to substitute generic goods for luxuries, to stretch out replacements, and take other steps to economize. This is not about Apple or Samsung, but about people and their pocketbooks.
  • Reply 48 of 50
    This is part of the nature of the electronics business. The new fangled thing a ma bob ends up as a paper weight. The telegraph used to be a big deal. I hear telegraph sales are down.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    maestro64 said:
    igorsky said:
    Wait so Apple is really doomed this time? I'm just amazed that this company is still in business after all the times it's been doomed.

Here the interesting part, look at the stock it keeps going up, it is stuck at 109 because it needs some amount of moment to break through the 110 number, once through it will got to 120 at the next resistance point. These guys keep coming out saying Apple is dropping market share but the market is reacting the other way, the market does not believe these reports.
    The "point of resistance" nonsense is just stock trader mythology. Nearly every one of them trades based on fear or greed.

very true and they are the one controlling the market, traders do hold stocks are various point whether you like it or not. You know there is a new Stock Exchange which got SEC approval and they promise to put an end to this kind of activities, They said each and every trade with be treated the exact same way, the big guys will see not advantage over anyone else. Not sure how they will accomplish this but the SEC is bought into the new trading market.