New York Times to shut down app-based NYT Now news service

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

spice-boy said:
    Progressive ideas moved us out of the dark ages into the Age of Enlightenment. Not all NYT's writers have a Left perspective, you may not recognize the articles because they are not printed in ALL CAPS!. The dark ages came about when the church decided to burn books with idea's they did not agree with of fit the church's dogma. Masterpieces from ancient Greece and Rome were pagan and the science in those books counter the fantasies of Catholicism. I know 2 writers for the NYT and they are both highly educated people that do their best to research the stories before submitting them. Nobody should be silences because you disagree with them, but when extreme forces gain power that is the first thing they do, burn books and put away vocal critics. That is not what a democracy does. 
    well said. for all his pomp, if men with opinions like Apple ][ were in power the country would be a darker place, where knowledge and freedom were stamped out under self-righteous dogma. 
    I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't part of the whole Eugenics movement. 
    spice-boy
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Thats what happens when you disable your content when users enter with ghostery and adblock. I hardy ever go to NYT any more because of it... 
  • Reply 23 of 27
    apple ][ said:
    chelin74 said:
    Yeah why don't we shutdown all this pesky Journalist thingy and have people Tweet pictures of cats instead that would deficiently safeguard a democratic society. 

And while we are at it lets elect Trump, he is an awesome tweeter..
    The NYT is a threat to any democratic society, a corrupt, lying paper, whose main objective is to protect corrupt, lying, establishment politicians.

As for Trump tweeting, it sure beats a brain damaged, unhealthy, sick, old woman deleting tens of thousands of emails with classified info and endangering the entire country and all of its' citizens, and then continuously lying about it, while the lie-media covers for her.

Yes Conman Donald , we believe YOU (not)
  • Reply 24 of 27
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    bigpics said:
    The Times is an infuriating case.  With a depth of staff that produces some of the best in depth and off-beat feature journalism anywhere on the planet, but "news" that's fully bled over from their op-ed POV and which, while hostile to the right, is co-opted by the establishment left, and so is no refuge for the truly open-minded looking for fresh, post-left-right ideological ideas and who know our only chance is not just to start thinking outside the box, but to rebuild and change the shape of the box itself.

Meanwhile, while mixed, I shed no tears over the waning of the "news" paper that is the NY Times. 
    Have any of your NY Times haters ever been to NY? I suppose if you did you headed straight to "9/11-Land" to gawk at the a place that looks nothing like it once did. Why do you think terrorists from an oppressive, religious right wing group made NY City its target? Because progressive ideas are the biggest enemy. To stamp out freedom of speech, to instill fear and to get on big dummy President to commit to a war in the 20th century definition not one which should have been fought with intelligence and strategic use of force. A computer platform which uses the motto "think different" has a following that thinks very little and can be fooled by a thug posing as a billionaire. I move to NYC in 1981 and within weeks I realized Trump was an asshole and a bully, it was so obvious to me why can't the rest of you see that? 
  • Reply 25 of 27
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    sog35 said:
    $8 per month? WTF.

You can get "free" "news" if you go to CNN and edit out the 90% of "sponsored paid for news" . Nobody wants to pay for anything. I hope someday you boss says to you, "I have to fire you because the service you provide which you honed and perfected through the years is not worth $8 per month"
  • Reply 26 of 27
    You get more or less the same content just by adding the NYT to 'News'.

My beef with the NYT paywall is that you could get iPhone + Hardcopy or iPad + Hardcopy for the same price, but iPhone + iPad was something like $35 a month. I'm more than happy to pay for quality journalism (I pay for the Guardian) but not extra to view the same content on 2 devices, depending on where I happen to be located.

Also, the NYT was terrible at caching, so when I went to read it on the subway (many New Yorkers use the subway) the stories would be out of date. Apple News is terrible in this respect too, it caches absolutely nothing unless you 'save for later'. the Wall St Journal on the other hand downloads the entire paper for full offline reading.