Samsung Galaxy Note 7 glass screen more easily damaged than any iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    So is Apple not using Gorilla Glass 5 for the iPhone 7?
  • Reply 22 of 70
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Soli said:
    netrox said:
    It has nothing to do with Samsung. It's the Corning that makes the glass which Apple also uses for its screens.
    By saying "it has nothing to do with Samsung," you're saying that Samsung had no option to purchase a more scratch resistant version of GG, like GG4? I certainly can't prove that Corning has stopped making all buy GG5, without doing some of research of the company's current product option , so I'm open to that defense, but I have to say that it seems like a specious argument to me.
    It appears that GG5 is more shatter resistant yet less scratch resistant then GG4. Many rumors online say Apple also plans to use GG5 on the iPhone 7. 
  • Reply 23 of 70
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    Even if it does it doesn’t mean it will have same behaviour. Corning only sells the glass, it is Samsung that manufactures the finished glass screen from the glass it bought.
    lolliver
  • Reply 24 of 70
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    atlapple said:
    Soli said:
    By saying "it has nothing to do with Samsung," you're saying that Samsung had no option to purchase a more scratch resistant version of GG, like GG4? I certainly can't prove that Corning has stopped making all buy GG5, without doing some of research of the company's current product option , so I'm open to that defense, but I have to say that it seems like a specious argument to me.
    It appears that GG5 is more shatter resistant yet less scratch resistant then GG4. Many rumors online say Apple also plans to use GG5 on the iPhone 7. 
    If Apple does use an alkali-aluminosilicate sheet that is considerably more scrunchable, like the Galaxy Note 7, I'll be annoyed. Sure, shatter resistance to falls is great, but I don't think the trade off of not being able to stand up to a Mohs hardness rating of 3 is worth the tradeoff.
    baconstanglolliver
  • Reply 25 of 70
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    sog35 said:
    netrox said:
    It has nothing to do with Samsung. It's the Corning that makes the glass which Apple also uses for its screens.
    how do you know?  Maybe Samsung's quality control isn't as good as Apple.  Maybe Samsung agreed to buy Cornings 'sloppy seconds' for a discount rate.

Don't think for a second that Samsung isn't sketcy enough to do this type of stuff.  
    They know their clients are idiots and uneducated so they can sell them low quality junk and it won't matter.
    Let's get something straight. Corning doesn't make the glass screen covers for anyone. They make glass sheets that are then sent to a company in China that cuts the screens, polishes them, coats them and packages them to go the the assembly factory. Assuming that the glass is the same, the only difference then would be the coatings the phone manufacturers spec. Those coating have a minimal, but measurable, affect on scratchability.

Apple used to use an oleophobic coating on all of its products, which not only make it easier to get dirt off, but also make the screen slightly more slippery. You can feel that effect quite readily when comparing it to older Apple products. The iPad Pro 12.9" model that I have seems to not have that finish in favor of a better anti-reflective coating. I don't know if any phones past my 6+ have changed their coating. If so, then it's possible that the increased scratchability of the later models are the result.

i can't speak for the tests on Samsungs' phone, but likely, the reason is similar. 
    revenant
  • Reply 26 of 70
    sog35 said:
    how do you know?  Maybe Samsung's quality control isn't as good as Apple.  Maybe Samsung agreed to buy Cornings 'sloppy seconds' for a discount rate.

Don't think for a second that Samsung isn't sketcy enough to do this type of stuff.  
    They know their clients are idiots and uneducated so they can sell them low quality junk and it won't matter.
    Sounds you have Samsung confused with Apple. Apple knows it's customers aren't tech savvy or intelligent so Apple thinks it's best if THEY decide for you. Like you know, simple things.. Weather apps, stock apps, the entire interface. Apple thinks you are a retard and when you buy their regurgitated trash phones you are reinforcing that. Think about that for a minute.. Excuse me, my s7 Edge is ringing. Oh, it's another millionaire calling me on his s7 Edge while the Janitor sweeping my office right now has an iDouche sticking out of his pocket. Think about what you say, and how stupid you really are.
    One more remark using trash language, and you're out of here.
    pscooter63missiongreyDeelronrevenantspherictopper24hourscalilolliverkevin kee
  • Reply 27 of 70

foggyhill said:
    That's funny. Most of us rich, smart people think only brand loyalist low IQ people buy iPhones. Funny how that works. Personally, when I see someone with a Samsung I know they have a brain. When I see someone with an iPhone I know they likely are not tech savvy in any way and probably are hashtag douches and pitbull owners. Trust me.. Samsungs are $800-$900, it's not poor people buying them. Keep telling yourself that while you line up for your next iDouche that's 99.999% like the original iDouche from 10 years ago.
    Get the fuck out of here world class moron. Considering the demos of Iphone buyers your fucked up assertion is laughable.
    Got a masters in computer engineering and been involved in engineering since the 1980s; so, spare me your shit.
    Guys, language please! Keep it civil.
    missiongreymazda 3slolliverkevin kee
  • Reply 28 of 70
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I don't think Apple has ever announced what kind of glass they use. It has always been assumed it was Gorilla but neither Apple nor Gorilla has acknowledged anything as far as I know.
    missiongreyrevenant
  • Reply 29 of 70
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    melgross said:
    sog35 said:

Sounds you have Samsung confused with Apple. Apple knows it's customers aren't tech savvy or intelligent so Apple thinks it's best if THEY decide for you. Like you know, simple things.. Weather apps, stock apps, the entire interface. Apple thinks you are a retard and when you buy their regurgitated trash phones you are reinforcing that. Think about that for a minute.. Excuse me, my s7 Edge is ringing. Oh, it's another millionaire calling me on his s7 Edge while the Janitor sweeping my office right now has an iDouche sticking out of his pocket. Think about what you say, and how stupid you really are.
    I exited him after reading his first couple comments, but before reading your warning to him.  It was clear he came without intention to discuss, but only to inflame.  And he succeeded, which brings down the value of the forum for those trying to engage in discussion.  I don't feel we need to have much patience with such people, once they show their intent.
    missiongreyDeelronroundaboutnownolamacguyslprescotttopper24hoursjbishop1039lolliverkevin kee
  • Reply 30 of 70
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    melgross said:

foggyhill said:
    Get the fuck out of here world class moron. Considering the demos of Iphone buyers your fucked up assertion is laughable.
    Got a masters in computer engineering and been involved in engineering since the 1980s; so, spare me your shit.
    Sorry Mel, that guy just called out my evil spirit... I'm pretty evil normally, but not that much...
    calilolliver
  • Reply 31 of 70
    lkrupp said:
    Bottom line, if this where about an iPhone all hell would be breaking loose. "Scratchgate" would be plastered all over the Internet. Pundits would be prognosticating how long before Apple went belly up. Consumer Reports would be warning the public. But since it's Samsung nobody will give a rat's ass. It probably won't even make it to c|net, let alone the Verge. Yawn...
    This!
    topper24hourscali
  • Reply 32 of 70
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    So, when a year later someone wants to sell their phone to upgrade they can say, "those are not scratches they are substrate transfers, your eyes are seeing it wrong."
    wonkothesanetopper24hourscalilolliver
  • Reply 33 of 70
    rcponercpone Posts: 20member
    Blasphemy! Pure blasphemy! 
  • Reply 34 of 70
    Unrelated, but interesting.

My wife sat on her iPhone 6 and bent it. Earlier this year she dropped it and cracked the screen, and I used one of the AppleCare damage replacements to get a new iPhone. Came in to an Apple Store today expecting to use the second damage replacement up for her phone.

The associate said they could replace it under warranty without using my last replacement up. I guess this goes back to the issue where some iPhones bent. So a phone that's almost 2 years old and Apple replaces it for free, for damage we caused.

Who else gives you service like this?
    hexclocknolamacguymazda 3stopper24hourscalilolliverkevin kee
  • Reply 35 of 70
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I'm assuming that my iPhone SE glass is the same as on the 5S?

If yes, then it's good to know that my glass is way, way better and stronger than what is found on the newest, expensive, flagship Samsung phone. :#
    cali
  • Reply 36 of 70
    It's hard to believe that glass would be scratched by an object with a MOHs hardness rating of 3. Perhaps Samsung can figure out a way to diamond coat the screen. 

What did Samsung do to the glass? 

The company is trying very hard to put out a highly polished finished product and a flaw such as this makes the company look incompetent. 

Putting on a screen protector would fix the issue but this is a stunning failure from a company that is rapidly becoming irrelevant in the mobile space. Neither they nor QCOM will have an answer to the A10 or next year's A11. 

TSMC and Apple are keeping the throttle on the pace of CPU development and now clearly pulling away from Samsung and Qualcomm. This type of oversight calls into serious question Samsung's ability to remain competitive even over the near term, not even considering the long term. 

The iPhone 8 stands to rout the Android market. But the CPU in the iPhone 7 will have no competition. And the new iPhone's release is imminent. 
    topper24hourscalilolliver
  • Reply 37 of 70
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    sog35 said:
    netrox said:

Korea buys more Samsung than apple products and have more tertiary degree holders than the United States. thanks for your opinion, but facts are facts.
    https://www.oecd.org/edu/Korea-EAG2014-Country-Note.pdf (the U.S. was at 42% in 2010 and have gone down since and many of them were foreigners who gained U.S. citizenship after gainful employment).

we get it- you hate Samsung and, like them, make stuff up to make some kind of point. 
    edited August 2016 singularityKilroy238
  • Reply 38 of 70
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,252member
    foggyhill said:
    melgross said:

Sorry Mel, that guy just called out my evil spirit... I'm pretty evil normally, but not that much...
    He was an idiot, and deserved that smackdown. Anyone one who reads this forum regularly knows there are quite a few regular posters here that are pretty GD smart and successful, even if they don't always agree. Entertaining as hell to read too!
    cali
  • Reply 39 of 70
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,252member
    Unrelated, but interesting.

My wife sat on her iPhone 6 and bent it. Earlier this year she dropped it and cracked the screen, and I used one of the AppleCare damage replacements to get a new iPhone. Came in to an Apple Store today expecting to use the second damage replacement up for her phone.

The associate said they could replace it under warranty without using my last replacement up. I guess this goes back to the issue where some iPhones bent. So a phone that's almost 2 years old and Apple replaces it for free, for damage we caused.

Who else gives you service like this?
    That's awesome. My gf dropped her iPod into the tub while taking a bath one time, and fried it. She took it in and they gave her a new one. The genius said, "It smelled like soap". She didn't have Apple Care and it was way out of warranty. 
  • Reply 40 of 70
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    melgross said:
    that post alone violated the old forum rules (they used to be posted, dunno if still are?) and warrants banning. as does his ridiculous troll username. 
    edited August 2016 lolliver