UK supermarket giant Asda tests support for Apple Pay

Posted:
in iPhone
Major U.K. supermarket chain Asda is currently in real-world testing of Apple Pay, despite its parent company, Walmart, not offering any compatibility whatsoever in North America.

The technology trial is taking place in "a few" locations, Asda said on Twitter, without specifying which ones. People messaging its support account suggested that Apple Pay is available in at least two stores -- one in Ferring, England and the second in Aberdeen, Scotland.

In theory Asda could attempt a wider rollout by the end of the year, depending on its infrastructure progress. In the U.S. though some retailers have announced plans for Apple Pay and failed to deliver for months or even years, like Anthropologie and Forever 21.

Walmart recently launched Walmart Pay in the U.S. The QR-based system is less convenient than something like Apple Pay or Android Pay, but should eventually support those platforms in some manner.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Interesting news.

I've been using my Apple Pay devices at my local ASDA since pretty much when Apple Pay launched in the UK; my Apple Pay iPhone and Apple Watch are treated like any other contactless card with the £30 limit.

I hope that should ASDA decide to support Apple Pay that they will fully support making payments higher than £30.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 2 of 12
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    chia said:
    Interesting news.

I've been using my Apple Pay devices at my local ASDA since pretty much when Apple Pay launched in the UK; my Apple Pay iPhone and Apple Watch are treated like any other contactless card with the £30 limit.

I hope that should ASDA decide to support Apple Pay that they will fully support making payments higher than £30.
    Yep, I've used ApplePay in ASDA too, at the Isle of Dogs store in London.  Not sure what this "trial" is supposed to be doing.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    gprovidagprovida Posts: 258member
    ASDA apparently has a higher regard for their customers than their parent Walmart [or CVS or Home Depot or or or or or]
  • Reply 4 of 12
    The killer app for grociers would be "Aisle Assistant":

• Store installs iBeacons in each aisle.
    • You (user) enter your grociery list.
    • As you enter each aisle, the app says which items from your list are in that aisle:
           "This aisle has 2 of your items: coffee and sugar."

• Apple Watch taps your wrist when you reach the item.
    nolamacguyMacProteejay2012jbdragon
  • Reply 5 of 12
    BTW, Starbucks now takes Pay. 
  • Reply 6 of 12
    I'm curious to see if/when the recent "my store only" mobile payment apps -- Exxon, Target, CVS -- fold. While I see their motivation (control of the customer and connection to other customer-centric functionality in their apps), I just don't foresee wide enough adoption of these apps -- for use in the checkout line -- to justify continued support. (But time may prove me wrong!)
  • Reply 7 of 12
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member

• As you enter each aisle, the app says which items from your list are in that aisle:

Apple definitely created the path towards futuristic lifestyle, so i confuse why everyone talking about Google is a better innovator. However I am yet to see widely use of iBeacons. Not sure what the hold up is but if every major public places adapt the tech, people will have location aware information everywhere. Perhaps build this with AR/AI based apps, and every iDevices can connect to so much rich resources that are aware of "when" and "where" you are while keeping your privacy secure.

For example:
    1. going in library, an auto notification pop up to inform you of the latest book available, or your overdue book loan.
    2. going to the museum, an apps will show you the information of exactly the item in front of you (or better yet if you use BT phone: an oral explanation)
    3. going to parking lot, an apps with map will show you exactly where the empty spot is (or better yet, direct reserve the spot so only you can park there and/or will direct an Apple Car towards it).
    edited August 2016 slprescott
  • Reply 8 of 12
    My local ASDA is a very unfriendly place to shop IMHO unless you have at least 4 screaming kids and want to meet up with others just like you and don't care about the mayhem your offspring get up to. Said meeting take place in the middle of Aisles with numerous shopping trolleys blocking the whole place up. Also does not open until 08:00.
     Oh, and have to pay to park outside the store 24/7/52.
    Then we have all within 3-4 miles, branches of Morrisons, Tesco, Lidl, Aldi, Waitrose and Sainsbury's all with at least an hour free parking.
    Would ASDA taking Apple Pay make me shop there? What do you think?

• Reply 9 of 12
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    crowley said:
    chia said:
    Interesting news.

Yep, I've used ApplePay in ASDA too, at the Isle of Dogs store in London.  Not sure what this "trial" is supposed to be doing.
    Same here in Norwich and recently in North Wales...it's mystifying- unless the press release missed out "all" stores. 
  • Reply 10 of 12
    fracfrac Posts: 480member

My local ASDA is a very unfriendly place to shop IMHO unless you have at least 4 screaming kids and want to meet up with others just like you and don't care about the mayhem your offspring get up to. Said meeting take place in the middle of Aisles with numerous shopping trolleys blocking the whole place up. Also does not open until 08:00.
     Oh, and have to pay to park outside the store 24/7/52.
    Then we have all within 3-4 miles, branches of Morrisons, Tesco, Lidl, Aldi, Waitrose and Sainsbury's all with at least an hour free parking.
    Would ASDA taking Apple Pay make me shop there? What do you think?

Change neighbourhood?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    gprovida said:
    ASDA apparently has a higher regard for their customers than their parent Walmart [or CVS or Home Depot or or or or or]
    It's more a case of, if they don't, they'll lose more customers. They're already losing customers in droves (as are Tesco) to the discount pair of Aldi and Lidl who both have had Apple-Pay-ready tills for years. My local Tesco and Asda are the last hold outs around here who still don't have NFC terminals, even the smallest ye-olde corner shop has them ffs.
  • Reply 12 of 12

I'd go further.  With Apple's new FlyBy Media* capability, the store could look at your grocery list and map the most efficient path through the store.  Based on your shopping list they could suggest (ping you) about other, companion item items that may be of interest.   Tho, it would utterly destroy Guy's Grocery Games.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/08/23/apple-patent-details-visual-based-ar-navigation-confirms-flyby-media-acquisition

Edit:  ignore all the above!

I forgot that [grocery] shopping is a social activity, where:
    • Home Moms/Pops go to get out of the house and engage in adult conversation with each other 
    • Single guys go to meet chicks

edited August 2016