Retailers, payments association side with Australian banks over Apple Pay negotiations

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    Clearly, this isn't "negotiation" — it is banks and retailers wanting to dictate how sensitive technology works in order to make more money, regardless of what it does to the technology or the privacy of the people the banks and retailers are charged with protecting. Retailers in particular have amply demonstrated that they have no interest in serious security: it costs them less to be scolded and pay fines than to implement high grade security. Remember how retailers were supposed to have new chip-reading PoS units in place by last October? It's now August, and many retailers have yet to either deploy them or activate chip-reading. And Apple Pay? Ask most retailers about it and they won't even know what it is.
    I think we were all under the impression that Australia was a progressive, with-it society. The message we are getting from them strongly contradicts that.
  • Reply 42 of 43
    As I used to work in a Bank in the area that all people are looking at. The first thing i wish to put up is.. all the banks are just looking for an angle to make more money. They are all Greedy Fuckers.. sad to say. As to the banks having the skills to do any of this. I laugh out loud, they, (the banks) are all running underplayed legions of Indians, (No Australians). There is no way in short of 20 years something will be completed. Let alone safe. Either way Banks are a thing of the past and will be eventually tossed aside when the people discover other free services, (that are out now) and all shift. Apple pay is one of the best public payment systems that is actually safe. Be it that they are money hungry for there service. But that said I will use that over all other systems. Watch this space, these days.. nobody needs to use a bank for anything.
  • Reply 43 of 43
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    I find it so frustrating as one of the banks customers and definitely feel this is not about choice for their customers but profit protection, which is why the retailers are sticking in their penny's worth to protect the data that is shared. If this was such an issue, why has this been widely adopted in the UK and especially the US, where anything relating to anti competitiveness would be flagged straight away.

If the 3 banks succeed, I will be switching to ANZ and taking the millions of dollars of business I do with the one of the other banks with me in protect and disgust. This isn't about been a fan of Apple, it's about having another choice, safer technology and some confidence in privacy. Good on ANZ for breaking from the mould.