Apple FAQ responds to investor queries about $14.5B EU tax edict

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    To add some facts to the general slamming of the so called extortion racket. Don't get me wrong - I love Apple products but they have been skirting their responsibilities for a long time like many other multi nationals. I don't like taxes either (I live in France....) but at a certain point we have to say its enough when corporations pay next to nothing for Billions in profits. Have a look at what happend in Ireland: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Irish_arrangement
    jume
  • Reply 22 of 60
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    To add some facts to the general slamming of the so called extortion racket. Don't get me wrong - I love Apple products but they have been skirting their responsibilities for a long time like many other multi nationals. I don't like taxes either (I live in France....) but at a certain point we have to say its enough when corporations pay next to nothing for Billions in profits. Have a look at what happend in Ireland: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Irish_arrangement
    Yes you are 100% right, big thumbs up!
    singularity
  • Reply 23 of 60
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    Despite the EU's position here they must be aware of the damage such movements make to the European Union?

What wealthy country, in their right mind, would want to stay in the EU if businesses operated in their country may suddenly be slammed with gigantic, retroactively calculated tax bills? I can't imagine any of the large EU economies feeling safe to take on foreign investment.

This doesn't even get into the precedent of large European firms that have a significant bases in the USA. Imagine if the USA levied such tax bills against BMW, Airbus or any number of significant european businesses with massive investments in the USA.
    The US had a special tax for the EU banks...
  • Reply 24 of 60
    Except the arrangement was legal. What the EU is trying to do is retroactively change law to extort money. Sorry to burst your "Fact" bubble. 
    latifbpradarthekatanantksundaramrob55hlee1169nolamacguyasdasd
  • Reply 25 of 60
    jumejume Posts: 209member

jume said:
    We are lucky for strong middle class and all the working-benefits in EU and most of that we have to thank to EU and I would like to keep that... So yes Apple you need to pay what you owe and please keep doing great products.
    LOL this is my favorite part. The EU has done more to destroy Europe's economies than any other action. The only country that has benefitted has been Germany (or should I say Germoney?).
    It's the usual nonsense you hear in the bars without any actual argumentation ... Sure there are ups and downs for EU but in general I support it 100%. You can move to the USA if you don't like it, I wonder how long you will stay...
    crowley
  • Reply 26 of 60
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    sog35 said:

This is your 9th post on AppleInsider. We are sorry but your post will not be viewable by others on the forum. Because of the new rise of new users using troll accounts your posts will not be viewable till your 50th post. 

Give it a break. 
    nolamacguycrowley
  • Reply 27 of 60
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    jannl said:
    advantage
    There. That's the key to all those who oppose being in the EU:  "advantage". The EU prevents one country from screwing over another one to gain an advantage. That's exactly what this case is about; Ireland trying to get more money at the cost of the other EU members. As for Greece, it's in the spot it's in because it mismanaged its human resources, allowing too many people to retire far too early and mooch off the few who continued to work. It dug a hole that the EU is helping it out of; it would be in full-blown depression without the EU.  So all of you decrying the EU and cheering for more Brexits, you don't realize the implications of what you're saying. The EU is a *smart* thing to exist and to be a member of. Breaking it up would be a pretty direct analogy to breaking up the U.S.A.; each state would have to fend for itself. All 50 would struggle while the ignorant masses would cheer that each was able to achieve its own "identity". How foolish.
    gatorguysingularitycrowley
  • Reply 28 of 60
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    blitz1 said:
    The EU is an extortion racket. They've done their job screwing over the smaller countries in Europe (ask Spain and Portugal how the Euro worked out for them) and now they continue to extort money from US companies.

What an absolute disgrace. 

Check out how Spain, Portugal, Ireland, the Central european countries fared before entering the EU and look at their situation now.
    You're in complete denial or a fool if you think they were better off without the EU
    I've lived in Spain and asked the Spanish personally. Have you? 
    Same with the Italians. And I have close family in Italy and they've all told me this directly.
  • Reply 29 of 60

xbit said:
    "It will have a profound and harmful effect on investment and job creation in Europe."

Does anyone believe this statement? The truth is that Apple needs Ireland as much as Ireland needs Apple. Apple don't reside in Ireland out of the goodness of their hearts. They do so because it's a great base to make money out of the European market.
    Switzerland might be even better. Ignore Cook's statement to Europe's detriment and thus EU citizens. Good luck
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 30 of 60

jume said:
    I live in a country that is a member of EU. We love Apple but I think Apple/Ireland should pay what they owe. EU laws for member countries are quite clear and I don't see why Ireland and Apple should be pardoned for that. Apple paid only 0.5 - 1% of taxes while other companies in EU need to pay WWAAAAAAY lot more... Laws in the EU are clear and valid for all EU member countries. In this case EU member countries are not allowed and cannot give any unfair tax conditions to selected companies.

I think Apple/Ireland made lots of profit based on braking that law. Apple is reach as f**ck and I am getting sick when big corporations want more and more while the world goes to hell, rich become richer and middle class is disappearing. We are lucky for strong middle class and all the working-benefits in EU and most of that we have to thank to EU and I would like to keep that... So yes Apple you need to pay what you owe and please keep doing great products.
    LOL. This has to be the funniest post of the day! "..reach as f**ck.."!? Yikes.
    LMAO! This jume guy is crazy. In the '90's when Apple almost went bankrupt they had the same tax rate in Ireland. It obviously did not help them and was not THE reason Apple made a lot of money. Good decision making and outstanding innovation are the reason.
    hlee1169
  • Reply 31 of 60
    ktappe said:
    jannl said:
    advantage
    There. That's the key to all those who oppose being in the EU:  "advantage". The EU prevents one country from screwing over another one to gain an advantage. That's exactly what this case is about; Ireland trying to get more money at the cost of the other EU members. As for Greece, it's in the spot it's in because it mismanaged its human resources, allowing too many people to retire far too early and mooch off the few who continued to work. It dug a hole that the EU is helping it out of; it would be in full-blown depression without the EU.  So all of you decrying the EU and cheering for more Brexits, you don't realize the implications of what you're saying. The EU is a *smart* thing to exist and to be a member of. Breaking it up would be a pretty direct analogy to breaking up the U.S.A.; each state would have to fend for itself. All 50 would struggle while the ignorant masses would cheer that each was able to achieve its own "identity". How foolish.
    As if Greece would not have received aid from anyone else if the EU didn't exist.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 32 of 60
    latifbp said:
    ktappe said:
    As if Greece would not have received aid from anyone else if the EU didn't exist.
    like who?
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 33 of 60
    Wear all the Capri pants you want. It doesn't change the actual facts versus the 'facts' as you want them. Apple was almost bankrupt in the 1990's and this tax rate was already long in place. No advantage. Innovation and good decisions helped Apple succeed. Not the fucking EU.
    edited August 2016 radarthekathlee1169
  • Reply 34 of 60
    latifbp said:
    Wear all the Capri pants you want. It doesn't change the actual facts versus the 'facts' as you want them. Apple was almost St bankrupt in the 1990's and this tax rate was already long in place. No advantage. Innovation and good decisions helped Apple succeed. Not the fucking EU.
    you need to get over this obsession with capri pants
    nolamacguycrowley
  • Reply 35 of 60
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    jume said:
    We are lucky for strong middle class and all the working-benefits in EU and most of that we have to thank to EU and I would like to keep that... So yes Apple you need to pay what you owe and please keep doing great products.
    LOL this is my favorite part. The EU has done more to destroy Europe's economies than any other action. The only country that has benefitted has been Germany (or should I say Germoney?).
    That's it! I feel sad so many "European middle class" people don't see the bigger picture of a European "superstate"(with the lead of Germany/France) and the situation of the people getting worse and worse.
    latifbp
  • Reply 36 of 60
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    ktappe said:
    jannl said:
    advantage
    Big difference: USA choose from the beginning to be a federal state, we as individual civilians of one country are being sneaked in a superstate without a direct vote in the process. Asking an individual in Spain, Portugal, Italy, Netherlands and even Germany (I do on a regular basis), they all are opposing the EU, but feel they aren't heard.
  • Reply 37 of 60
    How long ago is it since the EU bailed out Eire ? 2008 it was for €68 million. Btw I am British and I voted to stay in the EU. Sorry it was €68 billion.......so without it Eire would have been stuffed...
    crowley
  • Reply 38 of 60
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    jume said:
    I live in a country that is a member of EU. We love Apple but I think Apple/Ireland should pay what they owe. EU laws for member countries are quite clear and I don't see why Ireland and Apple should be pardoned for that. Apple paid only 0.5 - 1% of taxes while other companies in EU need to pay WWAAAAAAY lot more... Laws in the EU are clear and valid for all EU member countries. In this case EU member countries are not allowed and cannot give any unfair tax conditions to selected companies.

I think Apple/Ireland made lots of profit based on braking that law. Apple is rich as f**ck and I am getting sick when big corporations want more and more while the world goes to hell, rich become richer and middle class is disappearing. We are lucky for strong middle class and all the working-benefits in EU and most of that we have to thank to EU and I would like to keep that... So yes Apple you need to pay what you owe and please keep doing great products.
     Margrethe Vestager, is that you? 
    macseeker
  • Reply 39 of 60
    "offset if other E.U. countries seek part of the pay-out." I guess the EU welfare grab may not be done yet if other countries decide they are entitled to a piece of the pie too. 
  • Reply 40 of 60
    sog35 said:
    latifbp said:
    ktappe said:
    As if Greece would not have received aid from anyone else if the EU didn't exist. Blow it out your ass 
    like who?
    The people Greece owes money
    And very likely the U.S. as we always do