Dropbox hack released details of more than 68M accounts, report says

Posted:
in General Discussion
Dropbox recently notified users of a potential forced password reset after its security team discovered a batch of account credentials believed to have been obtained from a known 2012 data breach. While the initial announcement failed to specify the exact number of impacted users, a report on Tuesday puts the number at well over 68 million.

In a set of files obtained through sources in the database trading community and Leakbase, Motherboard found evidence relating to 68,680,741 Dropbox accounts, including email addresses and hashed, or salted, passwords. An unnamed Dropbox employee verified the data's legitimacy.

It is unclear how many users have been impacted by the hack dating back to 2012, but today's report is the first to offer detail on the previously disclosed breach.

Last week Dropbox sent out emails alerting an unknown number of users that they might be prompted to change their password if they had not done so since mid-2012. The company said the measure was "purely preventative," apologized for the inconvenience and directed users looking for further details to a Help Center webpage. The FAQ runs through the password reset process and, about halfway down the page, reveals the impetus behind the new protocol.

Our security teams are always watching out for new threats to our users. As part of these ongoing efforts, we learned about an old set of Dropbox user credentials (email addresses plus hashed and salted passwords) that we believe were obtained in 2012. Our analysis suggests that the credentials relate to an incident we disclosed around that time.

Based on our threat monitoring and the way we secure passwords, we don't believe that any accounts have been improperly accessed. Still, as one of many precautions, we're requiring anyone who hasn't changed their password since mid-2012 to update it the next time they sign in.

Within Motherboard's cache of user data, almost 32 million of the passwords are secured using the "bcrypt" hashing function, while the remainder are protected by what is believed to be salted SHA-1 hashes.

"We've confirmed that the proactive password reset we completed last week covered all potentially impacted users," said Dropbox's Head of Trust and Security, Patrick Heim. "We initiated this reset as a precautionary measure, so that the old passwords from prior to mid-2012 can't be used to improperly access Dropbox accounts. We still encourage users to reset passwords on other services if they suspect they may have reused their Dropbox password."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Lucky I don't use dropbox. I can't trust any cloud beside Apple iCloud.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 2 of 19
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    I trust Dropbox, but it hasn't been without its issues. Years ago, it would be stuck on the sync process ("Updating" or "Downloading") without explanation, but that hasn't happened recently. I do find it strange that they are responding to this incident (a second time?) 4 years later. Something is suspicious and it feels like they are deliberately leaving out some details while trying to remain innocent. Being forthcoming about everything is absolutely critical to maintain trust.

I've been prompted for several of my accounts, but none of them have prompted me to choose a new password upon login. That leaves one feeling puzzled in and of itself.

• Reply 3 of 19
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Interesting.  
    I knew there was a reason why I've been avoiding Dropbox.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 4 of 19
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I just plain give up.  There is not one company (except for Apple maybe) that is responsible enough to put an emphasis on security.  I was one of the affected DropBox users.  It's still superior in just about every area (for me) and each time I use iCloud, I continue to revert back to DropBox.  

It is inexcusable for a company like Dropbox to drop the ball like they did.  Really.  I didn't even know anything about a breach back in 2012.  What measures were in place since then to now to ensure that no one hacked into my account and did something nefarious in there?

I don't know what it will take.  If you're going to do business on the Internet, they goddammit, make your security the equivalent of Fort Knox!  WTF??!!

I'm waiting for iCloud to be as robust as DropBox.  Until then, I will continue to use them but they lost a huge amount of trust with me.

Fucktards.
    sdw2001fotoformatanantksundaramlatifbp[Deleted User]pscooter63
  • Reply 5 of 19
    fallenjt said:
    3.99 per month for iCloud storage seems really cheap right about now
    lolliver
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    A timely reminder for the cheapskates moaning that Apple should make their iCloud service cheaper because … well … they can afford it, dammit! Apple runs each of its units as a separate cost/profit centre. Each one has to run at a profit on its own account. There is none of this using a successful product (lije Microsoft Office) to subsidise a costly one (Microsoft SkyDrive). iCloud is an expensive venture, and rather than try to entice people with freebies or by selling its users' information to recoup costs, Apple chose to make it cost-effective from day one. Does it do everything I want it to do? Nope, but I prefer a gradual, safe scaling up rather than a potentially insecure service with freebies that need to yanked later on because they got the sums wrong. 

Having said that, Dropbox is still an excellent service. 

lostkiwijahbladepscooter63
  • Reply 7 of 19
    "Purely preventive".  Sure. 

It's like being pushed down a cliff, and then out of purely preventive reasons hand you the phone number of a doc. Oh, but do this a few years after the incident. 

I use dropbox and iCloud, but such things do not foster my confidence in cloud solutions. What's worse: the fact that it happened, or telling you four years after the fact?
  • Reply 8 of 19
    fallenjt said:
    If you use icloud, you're trusting the clouds of Amazon, MS and Google too as that's where your data sits.
    SpamSandwichVisualSeed
  • Reply 9 of 19
    fallenjt said:
    If you use icloud, you're trusting the clouds of Amazon, MS and Google too as that's where your data sits.
    iCloud is a combination of Amazon and Microsoft services, Dropbox is exclusively Amazon.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    fallenjt said:
    Excellent point, but bear in mind that all you with these folks is bare metal storage priced on usage. All the complex services around security, implementation of calendars, mapping on to local disks … all that stuff you do yourself using their APIs. 

I imagne that Apple tried to sidestep such a massive implementation by trying to buy Dropbox. In the end the went with with their own solution built on low level services.

anantksundarampscooter63
  • Reply 11 of 19
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I got I got that email. The problem for me is that whatever password I was using then is now available. I have changed my password since in most of my services but probably not all. 

Bad news. 
  • Reply 12 of 19
    ...it is against the law where I am for realtors to store any information outside of the legal jurisdiction for confidentiality reasons... Always made sense to me. That means no cloud, no gmail, no sir or server based distation, nada - I would only expect this will increase in scope... Will companies (including Apple) that 'bake in' such features find themselves regulated out of customers....?
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 13 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    No cloud server is secure. They ALL can/will/have been hacked. Photos and Music in the cloud? Okay. Financial, personal, healthcare data in the cloud? No way José.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    asdasd said:
    I got I got that email. The problem for me is that whatever password I was using then is now available. I have changed my password since in most of my services but probably not all. 

Bad news. 
    You use the same password for multiple accounts? Ver bad idea, friend.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    I use LogDog app that does a really good job of protecting my dropbox and more accounts against hackers, so I'm cool  B) 

• Reply 16 of 19
    lkrupp said:
    asdasd said:

Bad news. 
    My wife has the same problem. I have tried to get her to download 1Password, but no bites yet. Maybe I'll gift it to her.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    lkrupp said:
    asdasd said:

Bad news. 
    Not for banks etc. But yes I do. Changing every 3 months. 
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Rayz2016 said:
    fallenjt said:
    Excellent point, but bear in mind that all you with these folks is bare metal storage priced on usage. All the complex services around security, implementation of calendars, mapping on to local disks … all that stuff you do yourself using their APIs. 

I imagne that Apple tried to sidestep such a massive implementation by trying to buy Dropbox. In the end the went with with their own solution built on low level services.

If Apple bought Dropbox, the cloud storage they bought would still just be rebranded Amazon S3. Neither host their own infrastructure for cloud storage.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Rayz2016 said:
    fallenjt said:

A quick look at Dropbox's board suggests Apple and Dropbox just aren't culturally compatible for a take-over to be worthwhile.