Samsung announces Gear S3 iOS-compatible smartwatches, one with LTE

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    jkichline said:
    I think it's already been proven by other Android Wear competitors that while circular watches look good, they are not functional when it comes to reading text or really any modern purpose other than a circular-designed watch bezel.  In which case, how is it any better than an actual watch?

Still heavier and thicker than an Apple Watch?  Is battery life any better than what they currently offer?

Apple Watch still wins in my opinion and I imagine Tim Cook has something great up his sleeve (literally) to show us.
    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/samsung-gear-s3-frontier-vs-gear-s3-classic-vs-apple-watch-what-difference-which-better-1578923

Apple Watch 42mmSamsung Gear S3 FrontierSamsung Gear S3 Classic
    Display1.65in AMOLED, 390 x 3121.3in AMOLED, 360 x 3601.3in AMOLED, 360 x 360
    ProcessorApple S1, 520MHzDual-core, 1GHzDual-Core, 1GHz
    Memory512MB768MB768MB
    Storage8GB4GB4GB
    Battery250mAh, 22 hours380mAh, up to four days380mAh, up to four days
    SoftwarewatchOS 2TizenTizen
    Dimensions42 x 35.9 x 10.5mm, 50g (body only)46 x 49 x 12.9mm, 62g46 x 49 x 12.9mm, 59g
    Water resistance1 metre for 30 minutes1.5 metres for 30 minutes1.5 metres for 30 minutes
    Um...what? Hello!? Specs comparisons? Really? Did we somehow get into a time machine and rediscover 1998?
    Read the post that was in reply to and it will make complete sense to you. I'm surprised you didn't see that. 
    All it says is one person found it useful because he thinks this is a "tech forum" (I disagree with that characterization of AI).

What was your point in posting that, I am curious? You appear to have missed important attributes anyway, as has been pointed out quite eloquently above by @mac_128.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 42 of 73
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Anant, the OP asked:
    "Still heavier and thicker than an Apple Watch?  Is battery life any better than what they currently offer?"

It was an entirely appropriate answer. How would you have replied to him? Methinks you might simply be looking for something in my posts to complain about this evening. If that's the worst you could find I feel vindicated.
    :)
    edited August 2016 Solipscooter63singularity
  • Reply 43 of 73
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member
    londor said:
    Thank you! 

The Samsung watch is a beast, but I suppose some people like the wrist puck sort of thing. I've found the Apple Watch 42 mm to be very unobtrusive and extremely comfortable. My only complaint was the leather band is far less comfortable for me than the basic sport band, which is unusually pleasant for a vinyl/rubber product. 
  • Reply 44 of 73
    xzu said:
    Say what you will, its a good looking watch. It may be the photography, the presentation, or the lack of scale on someones wrist, but its not a bad looking watch. I imagine it doesn't look that good in person, but A for effort to Samsung, they are pushing hard and competition is good.
    Being 100% fair here, but I am yet to see a Galaxy, Note or Gear image in which the product closely resembled the press image.

Take the Galaxy (or Note) for example the press photos are flawless renders and downplay or simply don't show some of the ugly parts of the phone, they also make-even and minimise the gaps between the parts, a level of precision I'm yet to see from any Samsung device. Next time you're near a Galaxy/Note, look at the earpiece or the camera/flash assembly then look at one of the many available images in the media - they're rather different to say the least. (I have always felt that HTC made far better constructed phones than Samsung.)

As for the Gear S3, I'm not expecting it to closely resemble these images either, the graphics here look more like illustrations built from renders, as with all past S2 images the screen looks like a physical watch face, when in reality it just looks like a screen, and isn't actually all that easy to read to be honest.

Now we know that Apple have used renders from time to time when photography has not been practical, but these renders have always been spot on - take the apple watch for example, the renders were not misleading in anyway. 
    edited August 2016 pscooter63irelandbrucemc
  • Reply 45 of 73
    londorlondor Posts: 258member
    EsquireCats said:

As for the Gear S3, I'm not expecting it to closely resemble these images either, the graphics here look more like illustrations built from renders, as with all past S2 images the screen looks like a physical watch face, when in reality it just looks like a screen, and isn't actually all that easy to read to be honest.
    Here you have an actual photo of both S3 models.

http://www.lavanguardia.com/r/GODO/LV/p3/Tendencias/2016/08/31/Recortada/img_fbracero_20160831-125250_imagenes_lv_propias_fbracero_img_0227-016-kIME-U41127908580iC-992x558@LaVanguardia-Web.JPG

They don't look that bad if it wasn't for their size. They are huge.

http://www.lavanguardia.com/r/GODO/LV/p3/Tendencias/2016/08/31/Recortada/img_fbracero_20160831-125306_imagenes_lv_propias_fbracero_img_0230_1-014-kIME--656x492@LaVanguardia-Web.JPG

In case people are wary of clicking an unknown link, La Vanguardia is a well regarded Spanish newspaper ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Vanguardia ).
  • Reply 46 of 73
    bobroo said:
    Here is the proof that Tim and Jony's Apple is an elephant that can't dance. 

And why this sole Samsung related story is being reported on Apple Insider...
    Yup.  I sure would like to see how Apple intends to keep up with Samsung on both phone and smartwatch fronts, now that Apple is just another product maker, in the post-Jobs era.  One thing I can't figure out, if Jony Ive is so brilliant, why the hell would he kill one handed use of the iPhone power button by placing it directly opposite the volume button?  A middle schooler would know better.
    bobroo
  • Reply 47 of 73
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Gymkhana said:
    bobroo said:

Yup.  I sure would like to see how Apple intends to keep up with Samsung on both phone and smartwatch fronts, now that Apple is just another product maker, in the post-Jobs era.  One thing I can't figure out, if Jony Ive is so brilliant, why the hell would he kill one handed use of the iPhone power button by placing it directly opposite the volume button?  A middle schooler would know better.
    1) Why can't you use it with one hand?

2) Where do you think it should go?
  • Reply 48 of 73
    bobroo said:

The "elephant" is this watch. It's gigantic (49mm), thick (13mm), heavy (62gm), and it runs Tizen. Yikes! It also doesn't do all of the things that the Apple Watch does (or as smoothly), and it doesn't integrate as well with macOS or iOS devices. Samsung has a real dog here.
  • Reply 49 of 73
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    jurassic said:
    bobroo said:

The "elephant" is this watch. It's gigantic (49mm), thick (13mm), heavy (62gm), and it runs Tizen. Yikes! It also doesn't do all of the things that the Apple Watch does (or as smoothly), and it doesn't integrate as well with macOS or iOS devices. Samsung has a real dog here.
    Except it's not much bigger than the Watch, and what, only 12g heavier? Most traditional watches are much heavier than that.

Apple Watch - 49.42 x 38.03 x 12.46mm
    Samsung S - 49.00 x 46.00 x 12.9mm

http://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/194694/samsung-announces-gear-s3-ios-compatible-smartwatches-one-with-lte/p2
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 50 of 73
    jungmark said:
    how long does the battery last... ? 3 hours?
    Not if you get the Samsung Galaxy Gear battery backpack! 
    so lets not carry the phone around but instead carry a battery pack... lol that makes perfect sense..... hey why should i have my phone with me... with all its additional functions when i can carry a battery pack instead.... ;)
  • Reply 51 of 73
    Deelron said:
    No price, no availability and according to the Verge article "Samsung says it’s shooting for three to four days of battery life for the S3 — including for the LTE model — though its final measurements apparently haven’t come in yet." 

It'll be far more 
    interesting (one way or another) when those aspects are accounted for, particularly if the actual iOS support ever materializes. 
    3 to 4 days of battery life.... and with LTE.. ? ok did samsung just invent a new energy source for their gear stuff.. something that carries 3x energy density?.. and the rest of the world is still struggling... from Tesla, to Apple.. to all electronic device manufactures.. ?? L-O-L ps samsung just invented the time machine too.
  • Reply 52 of 73
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    londor said:
    If people can't see how elegant AppleWatch compare to that monstrosity next to it, they are really blind. Samsung Watch really looks like cheap watch you bought for kids. Can you imagine a super model wearing that in any ads???

edited September 2016 SpamSandwichireland
  • Reply 53 of 73
    Deelron said:
    No price, no availability and according to the Verge article "Samsung says it’s shooting for three to four days of battery life for the S3 — including for the LTE model — though its final measurements apparently haven’t come in yet." 

It'll be far more 
    interesting (one way or another) when those aspects are accounted for, particularly if the actual iOS support ever materializes. 
    samsung is bullshitting.. to get attention away from their brand new ...state of the art expolding note 7 phones.. which they have stopped selling and are recalling.
  • Reply 54 of 73
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    londor said:

The S3 is a hideous smartwatch. I remember seeing the Moto360 at one of those airport tech product shops and thinking, "this is the watch the geeks on Reddit like?". It was positively hideous in person. This watch looks the same. A cheap looking sports watch. The Apple Watch had the exact opposite affect. The loons on Reddit slated it but in person it was very attractive!!
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 55 of 73
    bobroo said:
    here is proof that we get the same trolls saying the same FUD. you have a disease.
    Troll-- That's your favorite word.
  • Reply 56 of 73
    4 days on battery is impressive, I have a gear Fit 2 sync'd with my iphone because i am a beta tester for the samsung gear manager app through testflight for Samsung, it works pretty awesome already and its only a beta, i cant wait to get one of these beauties and sync it up.
  • Reply 57 of 73
    cali said:
    Looks like a piece of sh** $2 watch I can buy at a mom and pop store.

anyone saying this is "elegant" is full of sh**.
    Seriously?  Unreal man.  I love my Apple Watch, but those Samsungs look nice to me (although "elegant" isn't how I'd describe them) and I'd definitely consider one if I was in the market for a smart watch.  

Can't wait to see what Apple has in store next week.  I'm sure the Watch is going to get a nice upgrade.  I routinely get 2 full days of charge on mine (and that's playing basketball for 2 hours a day while wearing it), but more is always better.  Only wish I have is for improved water resistance.  Wear mine in the shower all the time with no issues, but haven't worn it in the pool or ocean yet.
    Soli
  • Reply 58 of 73
    jsmythe00 said:

jsmythe00 said:
    I agree with XZU. At first glance this is a nice looking watch. Sort of like the fossil brand. As for battery, I bet it's better than the Apple Watch. 

Under normal conditions im sure it gets good life. Obviously running all the radios it'll die out but so does my Apple watch after tracking a two hour workout. 

I hate Samsung as much as the next guy but their watch and their note 7 look good. 
    bullshit -- I track 2-hour workouts in the AW app and it doesn't come close to killing the battery. plenty left at bed time. 

anybody who claims the AW has lousy battery doesn't use one. 
    Watch at 100% 7am. Get to gym at 6pm. Watch at 85%. 2 hour tracking puts my watch at 40ish%. By 10pm I have to charge. 

Now that I don't use it for fitness, as long as I power off by 10pm it'll last 3 days. 

As a fitness toolkit has poor battery life
    so you're saying you go from 45% at 8pm, down to 0-10% by 10pm?  if so your copy is broken. 
    ericthehalfbee
  • Reply 59 of 73
    bobroo said:
    bobroo said:
    here is proof that we get the same trolls saying the same FUD. you have a disease.
    Troll-- That's your favorite word.
    only when deali with one. your post history and rating (1:10 ratio) speaks for itself. 
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 60 of 73
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    mac_128 said:
    gatorguy said:
    jkichline said:
    I think it's already been proven by other Android Wear competitors that while circular watches look good, they are not functional when it comes to reading text or really any modern purpose other than a circular-designed watch bezel.  In which case, how is it any better than an actual watch?

Still heavier and thicker than an Apple Watch?  Is battery life any better than what they currently offer?

Apple Watch still wins in my opinion and I imagine Tim Cook has something great up his sleeve (literally) to show us.
    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/samsung-gear-s3-frontier-vs-gear-s3-classic-vs-apple-watch-what-difference-which-better-1578923

Apple Watch 42mmSamsung Gear S3 FrontierSamsung Gear S3 Classic
    Display1.65in AMOLED, 390 x 3121.3in AMOLED, 360 x 3601.3in AMOLED, 360 x 360
    ProcessorApple S1, 520MHzDual-core, 1GHzDual-Core, 1GHz
    Memory512MB768MB768MB
    Storage8GB4GB4GB
    Battery250mAh, 22 hours380mAh, up to four days380mAh, up to four days
    SoftwarewatchOS 2TizenTizen
    Dimensions42 x 35.9 x 10.5mm, 50g (body only)46 x 49 x 12.9mm, 62g46 x 49 x 12.9mm, 59g
    Water resistance1 metre for 30 minutes1.5 metres for 30 minutes1.5 metres for 30 minutes
    Those measurements are not accurate for the Watch.

Here's the 42mm Watch case measurements from the Official Apple Band Design Guidelines:

42.5 x 38.03 x 12.46mm

Also, the Watch does not include the lug measurements which is why the Samsung measures larger than 46mm top to bottom. It's also the reason the watch industry measures their watches horizontally, rather than vertically as Apple does. But the Samsung may include the control buttons in their measurements as well. The Watch lugs adds 3.46mm to each side. So the true measurements for a 42mm Watch are:

49.42 x 38.03 x 12.46mm

When you consider any round watch is wider than any square watch, that's not really a compromise, but an expectation. 

So here's the actual comparison:

Apple Watch 49.42 x 38.03 x 12.46mm
    Samsung S 49.00 x 46.00 x 12.9mm

https://developer.apple.com/watch/bands/Band-Design-Guidelines-for-Apple-Watch.pdf
    The real comparison is volume occupied, everything else is pure fluff.