Latest Apple Campus 2 construction video highlights glass install, fuel cells

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    Soli said:
    1) The most attractive use of solar panels I've ever seen.

2) Construction foam is neat, but I thought the ground above the underground auditorium was going to be flat, not raised. I'm guessing that change from the original mockups is so that people and equipment are less likely to congregate and add additional weigh to its ceiling.
    I think there are other reasons for the change:

A ) Not letting water pool over the roof area.

B ) Blocking the line of sight from the auditorium to the parking structure, which will:
           1. Be more aesthetically pleasing.
           2. Focus attention on the ring.
           3. Be one less way of orienting the viewer, thus maximizing the subjective perception of space.

C ) Subconsciously give the viewer a sense of excitement in anticipation of descending underneath the massive mound.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 22 of 33
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    To Soli, cogitodexter, and macexpress -
    I wasn't concise.
    This is the quote I was thinking about:  "Campus 2 is expected to be completed by the end of 2016..."
    I've no doubt that they can doll up a few rooms, or even a section, but, "completed"?  No...
    I guess we'll know in 4 months tho'!
     ;-) 
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 23 of 33
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Soli said:
    macxpress said:
    boredumb said:
    Taken on a weekend?  Even if people were working weekends, this isn't going to be ready for staff this year.
    They're working on this 7 days a week with 12 hr days Mon-Fri and 9hr days doing the weekends. Interior work shouldn't take nearly as long as the exterior with many many steel beams, tons of panels of glass going up, HVAC, solar panels, foundation work, etc. All of that takes a long time compared to any interior work. Plus, they can be doing some interior work now as a lot of the building is fully enclosed. No need to wait until the entire exterior is done to start working on the interior. 

http://www.cupertino.org/index.aspx?page=1223

2) From the scale of this project in terms of the amount of land, to having to demolish HP's old infrastructure, reuse their old infrastructure as much as possible, and then put their designs into action with an excessive number of new ideas (depending on who you talk to) and with constant changes (again, depending on who you talk to), and then having to make sure that many companies will be able to delivery on time for their product, like creating and shipping from Germany the largest pieces of glass in the world, it's amazing that they are right on schedule.
    It is just utterly impressive. To coordinate a project of this magnitude is no mean feat. 
  • Reply 24 of 33
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    paxman said:
    Soli said:

2) From the scale of this project in terms of the amount of land, to having to demolish HP's old infrastructure, reuse their old infrastructure as much as possible, and then put their designs into action with an excessive number of new ideas (depending on who you talk to) and with constant changes (again, depending on who you talk to), and then having to make sure that many companies will be able to delivery on time for their product, like creating and shipping from Germany the largest pieces of glass in the world, it's amazing that they are right on schedule.
    It is just utterly impressive. To coordinate a project of this magnitude is no mean feat. 
    My brother's company was in charge of managing the entire project. Apple was very demanding. They wanted major things changed on nearly a daily basis, but change costs money and Apple didn't want to pay for it. As he put it, "They were trying to run the construction companies like it's one of their suppliers, but their costs were excessive and we're the best in the area so it wasn't gong to fly." I think Apple finally moved to another company to head up the project and things seem to be going great.

As for my brother's company, they already had too much work so it's not a loss of revenue and probably a gain of profit for them, except that they won't Campus 2 as a shining example on their website, which is a very minor hit considering they company's current rep and other projects under their belt.

Personally, I would have loved to have been able to take a tour if he had worked the site, but even when they originally offered him the job he turned his company down since it would be too far of a commute. Less tan 60 miles away, that's still a lot of time on the road each day, so he would have needed to get a local apartment, and he had just finished a 3 year project that was also massive where he was just spent, so I can't blame him. Still, I would have loved to have boots on the ground. I did stop by one Sunday on my way to SF. It's definitely bigger than what videos make it look like from above.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    boredumb said:
    To Soli, cogitodexter, and macexpress -
    I wasn't concise.
    This is the quote I was thinking about:  "Campus 2 is expected to be completed by the end of 2016..."
    I've no doubt that they can doll up a few rooms, or even a section, but, "completed"?  No...
    I guess we'll know in 4 months tho'! ;-) 
    I see. With the glass all practically in.I think the construction could certainly be done by the end of the year. Does that timetable also mean that every room and section will have its final wiring complete, electrical and HVAC tested and inspected, all the finished walls, and the cubicles, desks, chairs, Macs, and every server farm in place? I don't know. I also don't know if their time table also includes all the foliage planted. I would assume that it would be removing any unused dirt from the area, but that landscaping may not be on that same construction schedule. Note, they have already started planted trees.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    tangey said:
    If there is going to be an opneing concert here, it definitely has to be ELO.
    Curious why? Did I miss the joke?
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Soli said:

It's amazing how far they've come in a year. They are surely on schedule to get some people in offices by the year's end.
    You'd be surprised how much work is left to do. Also there's currently so much dust it may not make sense to move in some people until the landscaping is fully done. My guess is they move in March or April 2017. April 1?
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 28 of 33
    ireland said:
    Soli said:

It's amazing how far they've come in a year. They are surely on schedule to get some people in offices by the year's end.
    You'd be surprised how much work is left to do. Also there's currently so much dust it may not make sense to move in some people until the landscaping is fully done. My guess is they move in March or April 2017. April 1?
    Why would dust matter. People can park and walk to their office without ever having to step foot outside.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Soli said:

Why would dust matter. People can park and walk to their office without ever having to step foot outside.
    True. I just don't expect too much of a staggered, spread out filling of the building.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 30 of 33
    ireland said:
    Soli said:

True. I just don't expect too much of a staggered, spread out filling of the building.
    Every major build I've seen (and been an employee at the time) had us moving into offices and sections as soon as they were ready. Grund not finished, floors not finishes, sometimes a room won't be finished, but one section will have the cubicles set up and connected so it's good to go for employees.

Since you can't have everyone  effectively move at one anyway—even If you're company is less than 100 people—you have to do a staggered relocation for maximum effectiveness.

To be clear, I am referring to the underground parking under the ring, not the additional parking garages by the highway, that are still in the way of the construction if you were to walk to them. I don't recall there being an underground walkway between them and any of the buildings.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    It doesn't look like it will be inhabitable for 6 months to me. 

I also think something is lost with these kinds of buildings. The old infinite loop was tiny in comparison and the chances of seeing the bosses, including SJ, was common. I used to work nearby and visited my roommate, who worked there,  a few times a month. I saw Jobs numerous times. And the rest - Forstal, Serler etc.

Meeting rooms for engineers were a few minutes walk from each other. In this campus one side may never see the other. Presumably they will bunch certain teams together though. 
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 32 of 33
    asdasd said:
    It doesn't look like it will be inhabitable for 6 months to me. 
    Based on what evidence or criteria?
  • Reply 33 of 33
    ireland said:
    tangey said:
    If there is going to be an opneing concert here, it definitely has to be ELO.
    Curious why? Did I miss the joke?
    ELO was big on spaceship/ scifi iconography

http://i.onionstatic.com/avclub/5567/76/16x9/960.jpg

and from wiki
    "The band then set out on a nine-month, 92-date world tour, with an enormous set and a hugely expensive space ship stage with fog machines and a laser display."

edited September 2016