Assortment of Steve Jobs's personal property for sale by celebrity auction house

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    bobroo said:
    So....this auction benefits who? Jane Fonda??? 

So Hanoi Jane is seeking to make money on the abandoned items left behind of a former romance?

Boy that says a lot about a person...and so does the photos of her and her North Vietnamese friends.

Jane Fonda, a lifetime Hollywood millionaire, doesn't even give a thought to giving the proceeds of this auction to some sensible/relevant charity? These are, after all, old t-shirts--not your income stream so that you can continue living in the lap of luxury.

So you go directly from "who gets the proceeds?" to "she must be keeping it the greedy bitch"?  Wow. 
  • Reply 22 of 36
    I wonder if Tim Cook was with IBM when Steve flipped them off.
    He'd been there about a year, joining IBM after graduating from Auburn in 1982.
    squareback
  • Reply 23 of 36

wizard69 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Macabre to say the least but collectors will pay big bucks for this stuff.

Honestly I don't get it myself. Personal effects like this should be burnt upon death just to deny these morbid creatures their articles of faith. It is no surprise that Jane Fonda is involved here. Just another example of what is wrong with America.
    Ps She was right about Viet Nam... We killed 60k of our own and 2M opponents and for what?
    And then pulled the rug out from under SVN, after they'd held off NVN for a couple of years, including at least one massive attack, heavy armor and all. Try talking to some of the Vietnamese who finally made it to the U.S. after being held in NVN re-education camps with their families.

All in all, it's been 40 years, and if you visit VN now, it looks more like the south won than the north.
    welshdog
  • Reply 24 of 36
    steveh said:

wizard69 said:
    lkrupp said:

Honestly I don't get it myself. Personal effects like this should be burnt upon death just to deny these morbid creatures their articles of faith. It is no surprise that Jane Fonda is involved here. Just another example of what is wrong with America.
    Ps She was right about Viet Nam... We killed 60k of our own and 2M opponents and for what?
    And then pulled the rug out from under SVN, after they'd held off NVN for a couple of years, including at least one massive attack, heavy armor and all. Try talking to some of the Vietnamese who finally made it to the U.S. after being held in NVN re-education camps with their families.

All in all, it's been 40 years, and if you visit VN now, it looks more like the south won than the north.
    Vietnam is actually a pretty cool place to visit. I went there a few years ago. It's like a less developed Thailand withouth the crowds. 
  • Reply 25 of 36
    bobroo said:

So Hanoi Jane is seeking to make money on the abandoned items left behind of a former romance?

Boy that says a lot about a person...and so does the photos of her and her North Vietnamese friends.

Jane Fonda, a lifetime Hollywood millionaire, doesn't even give a thought to giving the proceeds of this auction to some sensible/relevant charity? These are, after all, old t-shirts--not your income stream so that you can continue living in the lap of luxury.

So you go directly from "who gets the proceeds?" to "she must be keeping it the greedy bitch"?  Wow. 
    Biases are such a b1tch. 
  • Reply 26 of 36
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    lkrupp said:
    Oh, I don't know... there could be any number of reasons a person might want to acquire these things. No more macabre than a garage sale or any other estate sale, really.
    I see significant differences between the two. For example I have been known to go to Estate sales, usually looking for tools. These are things that out live their owners and in some cases outlive several owners. Here I'm looking for a bargain often for things I can't afford brand new and it isn't for reasons of "collecting". In all likelihood I would avoid the sale if I actually knew the person that passed. In a nut shell Estate sales and even grage sales allow people to put durable products to work for them that would often end up going to a dump. I've actually had some good finds at these sales and at ten cents on the dollar it is a good use for ones personal funds.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    wizard69 said:
    lkrupp said:

Ps She was right about Viet Nam... We killed 60k of our own and ca 1.5M opponents and for what?
    You might want to note that I never made a reference to Vietnam. Even if she never made that particular trip, her nonsense would still warrant the comment. She is a pretty terrible person with way to much influence.
    bobroo
  • Reply 28 of 36
    wizard69 said:
    wizard69 said:
    lkrupp said:

Ps She was right about Viet Nam... We killed 60k of our own and ca 1.5M opponents and for what?
    You might want to note that I never made a reference to Vietnam. Even if she never made that particular trip, her nonsense would still warrant the comment. She is a pretty terrible person with way to much influence.
    What 'nonsense'? Or just more biases? (I don't really know her that well, so it's not like I have a bias one way or another). 
  • Reply 29 of 36
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    welshdog said:
    lkrupp said:
    Yeah that's one area of collecting to which I cannot relate. Collecting records, sure.  Collecting something finely crafted and made in limted numbers, great I get it.  Collecting objects that once belonged to a person living or dead, merely because they were famous and touched these items?  Weird.
    Steve Jobs was more than just a "famous" person. He changed the world.

Save that "famous" attitude for Kim K or one other useless celeb.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Wow...25% buyers premium plus another 3% for bidding online.  Plus tax and shipping.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    mobius said:
    Seeing that photo of Steve giving the finger to Big Blue makes me yearn for the old days when Apple was David pitting themselves against the Goliaths of the world and trying to break their hold on the status quo of the computing world. It was such an exciting time when so many things were coming together to accelerate the development of computing. Man, we take so much for granted now.

So much has changed now, that Apple has become the Goliath. I am immensely impressed that they seem to have held on to so many of their values that Steve pioneered in the early days, despite their size now.

He really did so much to advance technology and make it elegant and simple to use. That's the only thing I think Apple seems to be loosing in a significant way - is their famed ease of use and simplicity. Perhaps also their status as Mavericks daring to think different. They still do have a bit of that though.

I sometimes wish I could revisit those times. I'm probably forgetting all the crap we had to deal with (SCSI termination anyone?! Uh!)
    You should check out 'Halt and Catch Fire' on Netflix. It's a drama series following early computer start ups set during the early 80's. It is well done and captures the period detail beautifully. It is also a good drama.  
  • Reply 32 of 36
    mobius said:
    I sometimes wish I could revisit those times. I'm probably forgetting all the crap we had to deal with (SCSI termination anyone?! Uh!)
    Bus errors, chimes of death, AAUI, blessing system folders, system enablers, extensions...lots of fun, right?  :D
    They were and still are fun for me, I learned so much on how to do process of elimination. HAHA!
  • Reply 33 of 36
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,903member
    cali said:
    welshdog said:
    lkrupp said:
    Yeah that's one area of collecting to which I cannot relate. Collecting records, sure.  Collecting something finely crafted and made in limted numbers, great I get it.  Collecting objects that once belonged to a person living or dead, merely because they were famous and touched these items?  Weird.
    Steve Jobs was more than just a "famous" person. He changed the world.

Save that "famous" attitude for Kim K or one other useless celeb.
    What attitude? Nonetheless, Steve was still a famous person and as I already said, I find it a bit weird that people want to possess the ordinary possessions of dead famous people.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    steveh said:
    I wonder if Tim Cook was with IBM when Steve flipped them off.
    He'd been there about a year, joining IBM after graduating from Auburn in 1982.
    ...thus one of the reasons it is in an estate sale, and not being kept by his wife. 
    Perhaps if the late Steve Jobs it had used two thumbs down, the picture would have been kept, (perhaps at apple HQ)... and dare I say become a "classic" picture.

edited September 2016
  • Reply 35 of 36
    bobroo said:

Yes, Jane Fonda is a complete greedy bitch.

And no matter what the outcome of the war, you DO NOT go over to the other side and pose with chummy photographs with the enemy while our boys are getting shot at, blown up, and are in harms way.

And another thing about Hanoi Jane. Of late she has made an effort to put the events in North Vietnam behind her; saying it was a long time ago, she was right in the end, and other wise "let bygones be bygones." Well Jane Fonda, there are an awful lot of veterans out there that can never put the times and events of Viet Nam behind them. Those that served, those that were drafted, but most of all, those that were injured. 
  • Reply 36 of 36
    haar said:
    Perhaps if the late Steve Jobs it had used two thumbs down, the picture would have been kept, (perhaps at apple HQ)... and dare I say become a "classic" picture.
     How is it NOT? It utterly personifies startup Apple and the attitudes of then-modern computing corporations toward their war-forged predecessors.
    bobroo