Apple reportedly boosts 'iPhone 7' parts orders ahead of launch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    red oak said:
    A "modest upgrade" which potentially includes:  new A10 CPU, greatly improved camera, waterproof, more storage, stereo speakers, TrueTone display, a refined design including new color options 

I would call that a solid upgrade.   The whole phone will be significantly improved.  Just the design will be iterative 
    Yup...to many non-tech people, if the chassis doesn't look much different, they call it "modest upgrade". It's so easy to just modify the chassis a bit to make it look different like Samedung...and people will be blown away by the "new" phone...yup...that's mentality in Android world.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 22 of 31
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    It seems to neglect that it's probably due to recall of Samsung phone exploding and Apple seeks to capitalize on that recall.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    TurboPGT said:
    MacBAir said:
    Soli said:
    levi said:
    Modest upgrades...The upgrades on a whole seem fairly significant and comparable to previous releases. Maybe Apple should release the same phone with a different shell every year to wow and confuse the broader tech media
    I'm thinking they should move to keeping the same shell for 3 years in a row now that the product has matured.
    I think they should do what they do with all of their product designs. Settle for one and refine it year after year.

It's a great idea that brings a lot of personality to the product (see Porsche 911). I always prefer a refined product to a radical designed one.
    Of course, those that associate new shapes with new phones are also the same audience that associates more cores and higher numbers to better. There's no problem in losing those users.
    You're talking way over the heads of these low IQ dopamine-addicted users. I mean why would Apple change the design every 2 years if there wasn't a reason to? They nailed the general size/shape with the 6 series. It is idiotic to think they should do something different just to be different.

Some might argue that they nailed it with the 5 series. I was looking at an SE the other day, and it really did feel and look nice.

But I'm still going to upgrade to a 7.

The issue of whether it will look different is really not relevant. I'm reminded of an episode of the TV series "Yes, Prime Minister". New PM Jim Hacker is advised on his first television address to the nation. The idea is that if you have nothing new to announce, you have a very modern set (for the early 80s), electric yellow background, and music by Stravinsky. If you want to introduce something truly radical, you have a very sedate, old fashioned set, neutral background, and music by Elgar. iPhone design has been sort of the same. Most of the big technology changes have been in "S" models, while the non-"S" models have had tended to be more about improvement of existing features.

I'm not accusing Apple of covering up a lack of innovation with a new case. Often the case design itself marks a major change in the technology, I'm just concerned that some people give way too much significance to minor, surface details instead of looking at what the actual changes are. And that includes many respected tech pundits.

• Reply 24 of 31
    lkrupp said:
    Soli said:
    But no one will buy a phone without a 3.5mm headphone jack¡
    Apple will take the heat at first but the 3.5mm jack is going away for a number of technical and physical reasons. It’s only a matter of time and the headphone industry is already getting on board. The naysayers are quieting down lately too. They realize it’s going to happen. Watch for a deluge of wireless earbuds, headphones, audio products coming on the market. 
    I'm quite pissed though. Apple will deliver some connector that's super expensive and easily gets lost. A connector I need for my quality headphones. 
    And how am I going to listed to my headphones and charging the phone at the same time? I do this often. With the iPhone 7, this isn't possible anymore.

And wireless headphones? No thank you. Too many issues with Bluetooth and I sure as hell don't want to charge my headphones.

• Reply 25 of 31
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    dacloo said:
    lkrupp said:
    Soli said:
    Apple will take the heat at first but the 3.5mm jack is going away for a number of technical and physical reasons. It’s only a matter of time and the headphone industry is already getting on board. The naysayers are quieting down lately too. They realize it’s going to happen. Watch for a deluge of wireless earbuds, headphones, audio products coming on the market. 
    I'm quite pissed though. Apple will deliver some connector that's super expensive and easily gets lost. A connector I need for my quality headphones. 
    And how am I going to listed to my headphones and charging the phone at the same time? I do this often. With the iPhone 7, this isn't possible anymore.

And wireless headphones? No thank you. Too many issues with Bluetooth and I sure as hell don't want to charge my headphones.

Please do explain why it won't be possible to charge the iPhone 7 and listen to headphones at the same time.
    kevin kee
  • Reply 26 of 31
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    The hard part is selecting which black version to preorder. Leaning towards glossy, but will need to see both at the Apple event and on their website before making a final decision.
    Wallet already open and ready.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Well this is to be expected. Decide for yourself if this is a "minor upgrade" like the false narratives have you believe:

Flagship Model New Features over last years Flagship
    iPhone 5

Bigger screen
    Better Front Camera
    LTE
    Lightning Connector
    Better Battery
    new Processor (+160% speed)
    iPhone 5s

EarPods (bundle)
    TouchID
    Better Back Camera
    M7 Motion Processor
    Better Battery
    new Processor (+65% speed)
    iPhone 6 Plus

Bigger screen
    Better Back Camera (OIS, new flash)
    New Storage Option
    Barometer
    NFC
    Better Battery
    new Processor (+22% speed)
    iPhone 6s Plus

More RAM
    Better Back Camera (12MP)
    Force Touch
    new Processor (+63% speed)
    iPhone 7 Plus

New Storage Options
    Water Resistance IPX7
    AirPods (bundle)
    Wide Color Display
    Better Back Camera (Dual Lens, 4k 60 FPS)
    New Capacitive Home Button
    Taptic Engine
    New "Mystery Port" on the Backside
    Better Battery
    new Processor (+40% speed)

Now which Year had the bigger Upgrades?? (hint: its 2016)
    Soli
  • Reply 28 of 31
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Well this is to be expected. Decide for yourself if this is a "minor upgrade" like the false narratives have you believe:
    <snip out table>
    Now which Year had the bigger Upgrades?? (hint: its 2016)

The interesting thing about that table is that each year of an "S" update, there is a major new Apple-developed technology added, while in the non-"S" years the changes seem to be more industry standard.

EG: iPhone 5: LTE, iPhone 5S: TouchID and the M7 motion sensor.

iPhone 6: NFC and a Barometer, iPhone 6S: Force Touch.

That's not to say the iPhone 5 wasn't a major upgrade over the iPhone 4S or the iPhone 6 over the 5S, just that the Tick/Tock cycle seems to have been New Industry Wide technology/New Apple technology. The question is, does this mean that the iPhone 7 is a Tick or a Tock?

(I may have Tick and Tock backwards. I can't remember which way round they go for iPhones. I know that Intel seems to have them backwards on their cycle: Tick is die shrink, Tock is re-architecture where I would have thought it made more sense the other way around.)

• Reply 29 of 31
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    mac_128 said:
    dacloo said:
    lkrupp said:
    Soli said:

Please do explain why it won't be possible to charge the iPhone 7 and listen to headphones at the same time.
    If I'm using my 'lightning earbuds', how do I charge my phone at the same time?
  • Reply 30 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    dacloo said:
    mac_128 said:
    dacloo said:
    lkrupp said:
    Soli said:

HOW MANY FUCKING TIMES DOES DOES THIS SIMPLE ANSWER NEED TO BE STATED BEFORE YOU UNDERSTAND THAT THE SKY IS NOT FALLING?!
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 31 of 31
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    dacloo said:
    mac_128 said:
    dacloo said:
    lkrupp said:
    Soli said:

Seriously? You state as a fact that it isn't possible to charge your iPhone and listen to music at the same time on the iPhone 7, but can't explain to me why?

I can think of two methods right now that don't involve buying anything else, merely updating what comes free in the box now. I can imagine several more easy ones depending on what equipment you choose to buy for use with the iPhone 7. See if you can guess what they are.