Apple 'AirPods' to target high end of headphone market with custom 'Bluetooth-like' low-power tech

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    B Glett said:
    Doesn't everyone realize that they are just going to lock Apple users into using high-priced, proprietary earphones rather than readily available, low-priced universal Bluetooth earphones? After hearing this I wouldn't touch the iPhone 7 with a ten foot pole if it won't work with my Bluetooth devices!
    While I can understand your connection between a custom chip in the earbuds only being compatible with the iPhone 7 -- which it won't, I'm not sure I follow the same logic in which Apple prevents universal compatibility with current BT devices? Apple already offers various BT devices that work with the iPhone, why would they drop compatibility? It also supports Car Play which has only just been implemented in some cars -- that would totally shut them out. I don't think you thought this through very well.
  • Reply 62 of 69
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    I predicted months ago that Apple would launch a new wireless streaming protocol if the reported dropping of the headphone socket was correct.  They have been too tight to pay for or enable the aptX lossless bluetooth protocol on iOS - ka-ching. Accessory manufacturers will now have to pay them - ka-ching.  But ultimately iPhone owners pay - ka-ching.
  • Reply 63 of 69
    TurboPGT said:
    misa said:
    e1618978 said:
    I hope it works better than the AirPlay connection between iPhones and AppleTVs - constant cut outs when using spotify.  Replaced the AppleTV with a Google Chromecast and all the problems went away.
    Anyone who buys bluetooth speakers or bluetooth headphones is an fool who paid extra money for a worse experience..

I think what Apple is hoping to do is not introduce just another set of bluetooth headphones, but a huge leap forward in wireless headphones.

That's probably true...

But it's, likely, much more than that.  Apple provides solutions to problems we didn't know we had -- or capabilities that we didn't know we needed...

Then, it is irresistible and/or cost-justifiable to buy the hardware/software that delivers these.

I'd go one further and say, Apple provides solutions to problems that we didn't know could be solved, because no one else really tried all that hard, until they did.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 64 of 69
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    cnocbui said:
    I predicted months ago that Apple would launch a new wireless streaming protocol if the reported dropping of the headphone socket was correct.  They have been too tight to pay for or enable the aptX lossless bluetooth protocol on iOS - ka-ching. Accessory manufacturers will now have to pay them - ka-ching.  But ultimately iPhone owners pay - ka-ching.

Heh.

Samsung phones setting fire to hotel rooms and you're nowhere to be seen. Welcome back. 

• Reply 65 of 69
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Dracarys said:
    So they're choosing yet another proprietary method... Sigh.
    In all likelihood this will be like Lightning and USB-C again. Apple pick the best part of Bluetooth 5.0, refine it with NO backward compatibility crap in mind, making what Bluetooth should actually have been. And then quietly release back into Bluetooth consortium, so the broad can decide to adopt it or not.

The good about this is that within the time consortium is thinking or deciding, ( and assuming Apple will have the wireless Airpod come by default ) You will have 200M devices sold by year end. This scaling make it much easier for adopting of standard.  
    mac_128
  • Reply 66 of 69
    Apple will offer 3D laser scanning of our ears at their retail stores. 
    A custom earpiece will then be printed and included with the Air Pods. 
    You will also be able to easily reorder replacement Air Pods anytime and have them shipped right to you. 
  • Reply 67 of 69
    Rayz2016 said:
    cnocbui said:

Heh.

Samsung phones setting fire to hotel rooms and you're nowhere to be seen. Welcome back. 

I am touched that you missed me.  I heard it was the battery supplier.  I drive a Honda.  They have had to recall a lot of cars because of airbags killing and injuring people.  Should I blame Honda or Takata?
  • Reply 68 of 69
    Apple will offer 3D laser scanning of our ears at their retail stores. 
    A custom earpiece will then be printed and included with the Air Pods. 
    You will also be able to easily reorder replacement Air Pods anytime and have them shipped right to you. 
    Cool aid poisoning, see a doctor immediately.
    johnny mozzarella