What you need to know about Apple Watch Series 2 before preorders begin on Friday, Sept. 9

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    Have the original and have collected 7 bands. Would sure like to be able to swim with it, so might need to get a Series 2. My wife who had shown no interest in the watch for herself previously is now considering a Series 2.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Series 1 only comes in the aluminum case with the strengthened glass crystal. To get the sapphire crystal you have to move up to the series 2 with the stainless or ceramic case
  • Reply 23 of 30
    xaoxao Posts: 30member
    Does anyone know if the Apple Watch Series 2 will have altimeter capability to track flights of stairs? The only two features that I really wanted in the new Apple Watch was the GPS and Altimeter to track my flights of stairs. Waterproof is a definite huge plus. But I routinely do flights of stairs throughout the day at work to keep me moving and not sitting all day, but I always have to take my iPhone with me to track the actual flights as my Apple Watch only tracks the steps, not the actual flight of stairs.
    propod
  • Reply 24 of 30
    "What you need to know about the Apple Watch Series 2"

Battery life? Seriously, what is the battery life. If I charge it overnight, and go for a 90 mins run in the morning using GPS, will it still last all day? GPS is very expensive battery wise (my Garmin 225 gets about 10 hours with GPS running, or about 3 weeks if you don't use GPS). Given the Apple Watch lasts barely 24 hours just with normal use, a 1 - 2 hour workout in the morning is going to affect things. Let's say you go to Yosemite and do one of those 4-hour hikes (like they demo'ed) using GPS?

Sorry to be a negative nanny, but no one has mentioned battery life at all, and it's one of the most important things in a sports watch,
    https://www.apple.com/watch/battery.html

An 8-hour workout paired with the iPhone's GPS is like a 5-hour workout using the watch GPS. So a hit, but not too bad. Why anyone would do an 8-hour run (even 27k runners take much less time)...a 5-hour hike sans-phone more likely.

Typical use is the same as the original - 18 hours:
    Testing conducted by Apple in August 2016 using preproduction Apple Watch Series 1, Apple Watch Series 2, and Apple Watch Edition, each paired with an iPhone; all devices tested with prerelease software. All-day battery life is based on 18 hours with the following use: 90 time checks, 90 notifications, 45 minutes of app use, and a 30‐minute workout with music playback from Apple Watch via Bluetooth, over the course of 18 hours. Battery life varies by use, configuration, and many other factors; actual results will vary.
    fwiw, when I do workouts, I stream via the iPhone - that's a hit to battery life.
    So a one hour run in the morning will use 20% of the battery, so the 18 hours life will be reduced to about 14 hours. 6am run, it'd be dead by 8pm.

I love the idea of the watch, but this would be my main reason to not get one so far.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    "What you need to know about the Apple Watch Series 2"

Battery life? Seriously, what is the battery life. If I charge it overnight, and go for a 90 mins run in the morning using GPS, will it still last all day? GPS is very expensive battery wise (my Garmin 225 gets about 10 hours with GPS running, or about 3 weeks if you don't use GPS). Given the Apple Watch lasts barely 24 hours just with normal use, a 1 - 2 hour workout in the morning is going to affect things. Let's say you go to Yosemite and do one of those 4-hour hikes (like they demo'ed) using GPS?

Sorry to be a negative nanny, but no one has mentioned battery life at all, and it's one of the most important things in a sports watch,
    https://www.apple.com/watch/battery.html

An 8-hour workout paired with the iPhone's GPS is like a 5-hour workout using the watch GPS. So a hit, but not too bad. Why anyone would do an 8-hour run (even 27k runners take much less time)...a 5-hour hike sans-phone more likely.

Typical use is the same as the original - 18 hours:
    Testing conducted by Apple in August 2016 using preproduction Apple Watch Series 1, Apple Watch Series 2, and Apple Watch Edition, each paired with an iPhone; all devices tested with prerelease software. All-day battery life is based on 18 hours with the following use: 90 time checks, 90 notifications, 45 minutes of app use, and a 30‐minute workout with music playback from Apple Watch via Bluetooth, over the course of 18 hours. Battery life varies by use, configuration, and many other factors; actual results will vary.
    fwiw, when I do workouts, I stream via the iPhone - that's a hit to battery life.
    So a one hour run in the morning will use 20% of the battery, so the 18 hours life will be reduced to about 14 hours. 6am run, it'd be dead by 8pm.

I love the idea of the watch, but this would be my main reason to not get one so far.
    Not trying to sell you a watch - I was tending toward updating my watch and skipping the 7+ before yesterday's event and am now leaning the other way (not updating both unless you're in the lending business?). But dropping it on the charger for 15-30 minutes while you shower after your run will do the trick. Or more likely (and what I've experienced with the original), Apple is under-promising the life (just like they did with water resistance in the original) and over-delivering...'time' will tell...
    williamlondon
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Didn't buy a gen 1 Apple Watch, some due to funds (or lack thereof) but some due to waiting till I felt really compelled. I love the idea, love that tech is now wearable, big watch wearer here (for function not status, though nice styling is essential, but subtle and not flashy). Now that the series 1 is being retrofitted with the new chip, if one isn't into GPS (nor jogging), isn't into swimming (though I do live in a wet climate), is more a hermit (therefore doesn't spend a lot of time outdoors), the series 1 at that hugely reduced price is looking the most appealing right now. Am I wrong? Have I missed something? I've been wanting it since it was first announced, for some reason I'm just slow moving on getting one, but now that the series 1 is upgraded but reduced in price, if those other upgrades aren't interesting, that version to me is really quite exceptional. Others thinking the same??
  • Reply 27 of 30
    Quick Question. I am really excited about the Nike and Apple partnership with the new watch, but does the Nike+ Apple Watch do the same things that the Apple Watch Series 2 does? What I mean by this is, does the Nike branded watch just include this Nike running app with extra features while at the same time providing the rest of all of the features that are already on the Normal Apple Watch 2? I want to know if the Nike one is just for running or if it does everything else too.

Thanks
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Quick Question. I am really excited about the Nike and Apple partnership with the new watch, but does the Nike+ Apple Watch do the same things that the Apple Watch Series 2 does? What I mean by this is, does the Nike branded watch just include this Nike running app with extra features while at the same time providing the rest of all of the features that are already on the Normal Apple Watch 2? I want to know if the Nike one is just for running or if it does everything else too.

Thanks
    Having watched the event 2 times, it's the same watch as the series 2 aluminum - guessing possibly a different color. Yes to additional apps likely available tied to your Apple ID and the iPhone watch appstore (also pre-loaded). I.e., a watch wipe would not have those apps until the iPhone realized via your ID which watch it was and re-added the apps. Also gets you into the Nike global runner net.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    sflagel said:
    The partnerships with Nike and Hermes are intriguing. Apple is positioning itself as the maker of watch movements, in addition to developing and marketing their own watches. I suspect that is also the reason why Apple's watch faces are rather dull, to make the partnership watches more alluring. I look forward to further partnerships and possible Apple/TAG Heuer, Apple/Panerai and Apple/Montblanc watches. I would pay a premium for that co-branding and exclusive good looking watch faces. I think the Apple/Hermes watch faces are gorgeous and well worth the premium; although I was surprised that they allowed the watch bands to be sold separately to owners of non-Hermes AW's.... 
    Presumably, no large watch manufacturers would want to partner with Apple. I see Hermes and Nike as complimentary style and brand-wise.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    xao said:
    Does anyone know if the Apple Watch Series 2 will have altimeter capability to track flights of stairs? The only two features that I really wanted in the new Apple Watch was the GPS and Altimeter to track my flights of stairs. Waterproof is a definite huge plus. But I routinely do flights of stairs throughout the day at work to keep me moving and not sitting all day, but I always have to take my iPhone with me to track the actual flights as my Apple Watch only tracks the steps, not the actual flight of stairs.
    I'm quite certain if altimeter function was available they would've mentioned it... but doesn't actual GPS data include elevation?