3rd-gen Apple TV departs Apple retail, remains at big-box stores

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39

[...] Apple can't make the studios offer *all* their current and old content in 4K PLUS make the ISPs offer faster, unlimited bandwidth,

True, but they don't need to. They already offer a choice of SD, 720p or 1080p. Some old titles are not available in HD at all, but that doesn't prevent Apple from offering those that are available in HD and letting the customer decide which best suits their situation.

If Apple were to offer content in 4K you wouldn't be forced to buy it. You could still choose a lower resolution if it's a better fit for your playback system or incoming connection. Similarly, studios would not be forced to re-render content in 4K, they could just continue to offer whatever they have now, just as some older titles were never updated from SD to HD. It would just be another tier on the continuum that vendors could use to add value to their content. Or not. It's up to them.

stop your fucking whining and unreasonable expectations.

Charming. May I humbly suggest that it seems hypocritical to praise Apple for carving a new and largely unpopular path with almost no existing support with the removal of the headphone jack from iPhones then claim that it is not "reasonable" to hope for forward-thinking developments in a video market that already has products, a standard, and consumer interest?

I respect your views and understand your point, but it seems a little self-aggrandizing to suggest that anyone who feels differently is "whining." You opinion would carry more weight if you expressed it without the insults.
    singularitycali
  • Reply 22 of 39
    tallguy said:
    I can't disagree with you guys more. You can't buy a tv that's not 4K for the most part. I'm not an exotic tv purchaser when it comes to the home. I work amongst monitors all day long in broadcast and post studios. I don't need the latest and greatest at home and even I have a 4K 50" recently purchased for less than $600. Disappointed that the only content I get in 4K is pretty much Netflix. I'll be honest for the price Apple charges for a sub par 1080 movie I'd prefer to be buying at least a sub par 4K movie. Blu Ray looks way, way better than HD movies. I think 4K is closer than you guys think. 
    Are you kidding? Go to Best Buy, they have an isle full of 720/1080 TV's.
    That's exactly where I bought my 4K TV. If you don't have more than $400 sure you might buy 1080 you'd have to be hard up or just want a cheap tv for the kids if you bought a 720p tv at this point, but 4K smart tv's are cheap and look amazing. As others have stated, I too am putting up with the piss poor interface on my TV just to see Netflix at 4K. It's worth it. I almost feel stupid for buying a second Apple TV knowing we might see an update soon. Apple isn't just competing with Tv specs at 4K, their also competing with smart tv's. Forget the "fire" and all of the rest of the devices out there. Even the most basic 1080p or 720p tv has smart tv features. You don't need an Apple TV or "chrome" for Netflix. Hence why I'm wondering why I was so quick to buy one when a replacement is probably close. Especially since Amazon has an app for the smart TV and not the Apple TV. Sorry. It just not that easy to justify the extra $150 at this point. An update would fix that. 

Someone else mentioned gaming. I'm also surprised at the number of games for the iPhone and iPad that haven't made their way to Apple TV either. I have controllers that are dying to be put to better use that "real racing" and yet that's one of the better games. Why not Final Fantasy or Deus ex or the flight Sim games? Because of the gimped processor is my guess. A shiny new A10x and 4K would put Apple squarely on top of both other boxes and the now typically built in features or your average smart tv both in terms of content and make new forays into gaming. 

Sorry but I can't see how you're adamant about this. We're taking about he same company that just yesterday said "to hell with this crappy legacy port" "we're looking forward and moving to wireless ". Regardless of what happens it's rather idiosynchchratic that Appe on one hand "looks towards the future and on the other lags behind. I would find it hard to believe they either don't know what they are doing or they are justs "sitting back" as you implied. 
    cali
  • Reply 23 of 39
    I can't disagree with you guys more. You can't buy a tv that's not 4K for the most part. I'm not an exotic tv purchaser when it comes to the home. I work amongst monitors all day long in broadcast and post studios. I don't need the latest and greatest at home and even I have a 4K 50" recently purchased for less than $600. Disappointed that the only content I get in 4K is pretty much Netflix. I'll be honest for the price Apple charges for a sub par 1080 movie I'd prefer to be buying at least a sub par 4K movie. Blu Ray looks way, way better than HD movies. I think 4K is closer than you guys think. 
    I'm a software dev always with the latest iPhone, but my tv is a 42" Panasomic 1080p plasma that they don't make any more. no plans to update to 4K until there's a great replacement for plasma and it costs the same as this did. 
    williamlondoncali
  • Reply 24 of 39

[...] Apple can't make the studios offer *all* their current and old content in 4K PLUS make the ISPs offer faster, unlimited bandwidth,
    True, but they don't need to. They already offer a choice of SD, 720p or 1080p. Some old titles are not available in HD at all, but that doesn't prevent Apple from offering those that are available in HD and letting the customer decide which best suits their situation.

If Apple were to offer content in 4K you wouldn't be forced to buy it. You could still choose a lower resolution if it's a better fit for your playback system or incoming connection. Similarly, studios would not be forced to re-render content in 4K, they could just continue to offer whatever they have now, just as some older titles were never updated from SD to HD. It would just be another tier on the continuum that vendors could use to add value to their content. Or not. It's up to them.

Charming. May I humbly suggest that it seems hypocritical to praise Apple for carving a new and largely unpopular path with almost no existing support with the removal of the headphone jack from iPhones then claim that it is not "reasonable" to hope for forward-thinking developments in a video market that already has products, a standard, and consumer interest?

I respect your views and understand your point, but it seems a little self-aggrandizing to suggest that anyone who feels differently is "whining." You opinion would carry more weight if you expressed it without the insults.
    Have you been paying attention to this issue, or it would seem that you might be new to it and haven't been observing the threads containing myriad posts complaining ad nauseam about 4K, on and on and on and on? Let it rest. Everyone and their dog have had their say, the same things are being rehashed over and over and over again and just when it dies down, something triggers it and it's all on full again, but only the same few people on the internet getting all worked up over a lot of nothing. If suggesting this issue has been beaten to death is lacking humility and self-aggrandising, then so be it, perhaps you've the patience of a saint, or perhaps you find yourself on the other side of this issue (which is it?). I don't dislike 4K, it's just that history is just very, very, very fucking clear what needs to happen before Apple will support it, and complaining about it won't do anything except waste a lot of your breath and my time.

From your response you didn't understand what I wrote about 4K, the same thing that Apple did with HD they will do with this. The reason they won't do 4K is because there isn't adequate content to fill their store and (lack of) bandwidth is the other problem, but the lack of content is really the biggest issue. Once both these issues are resolved, then Apple will happily fill their store with 4K content and support it in ATV hardware and it'll happen at the same time. Last time they did this with HD content, nothing hardware and nothing in the store before that one moment, then they flipped a switch and it all worked (right after they sent notices out to the studios telling them to feel free to submit their HD content to the store). Apple refuses to sell an ATV without adequate content to run on it, because in their minds (and I don't disagree) supporting it in hardware without content to run on it is adding a feature that is half baked. Remember, the Apple Music store was created to add value to the iPods, otherwise it's just an empty music device promising more than it can deliver. Same with movies and the ATV, exactly the same.

It's way past time to put this issue to rest, but some people just think the internets are their personal whinging receptacle, where negativity reigns supreme and unless you complain then you're nothing. If that's what you prefer, MacRumors is the place to be, it's filled with people who refuse to stop complaining about 4K and every other issue they can dream up that is hurting no one but seems from their agonising that Apple is causing them physical pain, all to the glee of the MacRumors owners who love nothing more than tit-tat arguments and outright fights bound in incivility about nothing in order to drive post volume for higher ad revenue, instead of thoughtful and insightful technical discussion, which these forums used to be all about.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    I'm a software dev always with the latest iPhone, but my tv is a 42" Panasomic 1080p plasma that they don't make any more. no plans to update to 4K until there's a great replacement for plasma and it costs the same as this did. 
    I just bought a new television. My first choice was a Panasonic plasma, I know they don't make them anymore, but there's a very good electronics store here that sells used stuff (which they originally sold new) and they warrant all their used stuff for 6 years! I waited and waited and waited to find a plasma and only one came up in over a year which someone else bought day 1, so I lost out. Sigh. I went ahead and bought a new 1080p Sony and I have to say it's beautiful, I'm thrilled with it. It's not as good as the plasmas I wish they still sold, but it's close. I'm so jealous you have one, and I'd stick with that for a long time, no reason to upgrade till they make something worthy of an upgrade from that one.
    cali
  • Reply 26 of 39
    I have had a 4K 70' Vizio for almost two years now -- love it -- only thing missing is 4K ATV!  

On a side note:  Apple should provide better support for the ATV 3 -- they still sell something they provide no SW updates for -- pretty crappy.  
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 27 of 39
    Have you been paying attention to this issue, or it would seem that you might be new to it and haven't been observing the threads containing myriad posts complaining ad nauseam about 4K, on and on and on and on? Let it rest. Everyone and their dog have had their say, the same things are being rehashed over and over and over again and just when it dies down, something triggers it and it's all on full again, but only the same few people on the internet getting all worked up over a lot of nothing.

Except it's not just the same people over and over. Sure, there's some of that, but there are those of us who don't read every post on AI, much less the comments on every post, and may not even know that it's been discussed before.

Further, if I see a subject on which many, many people are complaining, I don't interpret that as a sign that there's something wrong with them. To me it's a sign that either the problem may be fairly widespread and genuine to have that many people worked up about it, or that people misunderstand and maybe they would feel differently if they understood all the facts.

Either way, insulting people won't do anything to persuade them to see your point of view.

From your response you didn't understand what I wrote about 4K, the same thing that Apple did with HD they will do with this. The reason they won't do 4K is because there isn't adequate content to fill their store and (lack of) bandwidth is the other problem, but the lack of content is really the biggest issue.

Chicken or the egg again. No support without content, no reason to create content if no one can consume it.

The only path to consumers for movie distributors is physical media, which is dying, and download services like iTunes. If the download service won't sell your 4K content, why would you create it? Where will you sell it? On the other hand, if Apple makes it an option for sellers, they have an incentive to create the product to differentiate themselves and enjoy higher revenues.

I understand what you're saying, but in this case I think the first move needs to come from Apple.
    cali
  • Reply 28 of 39
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    It's just my opinion but I think it makes sense for Apple to wait to release the next Apple TV iteration until 4K is far more prevalent in the market place.  There is little they could add now other than 4K that software improvements can't cope with in the mean time.  I would imagine the way Apple is continuing to design their own amazing chips these days the next Apple TV could be a massive step forward.  I also wonder if Apple will ever use the Apple TV for something else too, perhaps a central hub for HomeKit for example and maybe even add features akin to Amazon's Echo and throw in a Wi-Tricity charging ability and while their at it ... a coffee maker?  B)
    Apple will probably offer it after Amazon Zprime has had 4K content for a year.  of course by then the echo will hookup to your  4K TV. 
  • Reply 29 of 39
    Have you been paying attention to this issue, or it would seem that you might be new to it and haven't been observing the threads containing myriad posts complaining ad nauseam about 4K, on and on and on and on? Let it rest. Everyone and their dog have had their say, the same things are being rehashed over and over and over again and just when it dies down, something triggers it and it's all on full again, but only the same few people on the internet getting all worked up over a lot of nothing.

Except it's not just the same people over and over. Sure, there's some of that, but there are those of us who don't read every post on AI, much less the comments on every post, and may not even know that it's been discussed before.

Further, if I see a subject on which many, many people are complaining, I don't interpret that as a sign that there's something wrong with them. To me it's a sign that either the problem may be fairly widespread and genuine to have that many people worked up about it, or that people misunderstand and maybe they would feel differently if they understood all the facts.

Either way, insulting people won't do anything to persuade them to see your point of view.

From your response you didn't understand what I wrote about 4K, the same thing that Apple did with HD they will do with this. The reason they won't do 4K is because there isn't adequate content to fill their store and (lack of) bandwidth is the other problem, but the lack of content is really the biggest issue.

Chicken or the egg again. No support without content, no reason to create content if no one can consume it.

The only path to consumers for movie distributors is physical media, which is dying, and download services like iTunes. If the download service won't sell your 4K content, why would you create it? Where will you sell it? On the other hand, if Apple makes it an option for sellers, they have an incentive to create the product to differentiate themselves and enjoy higher revenues.

I understand what you're saying, but in this case I think the first move needs to come from Apple.
    Stop with your faux hurt, it's boring. I didn't offend, I said nothing to you, but you voluntarily seem to have jumped into some perceived offensive stream and are now bathing in insolence, but with glee. Enough. You talk about self-aggrandisement and humility, which I think is ironic in the extreme, and your posts are bordering on professional victim. Yawn.

BTW, I love the ATV, love talking about it, but every single thread is hijacked by the same people, those baby whiners who think the world revolves around their tech needs and that Apple has done them wrong for not changing its ways and policies - they are the same ones every time, every fucking time. Forgive me if I have no patience for those people, but the argument is the same as its been for well over a year now, enough, fucking enough already. The 4K issue, if the moderators really cared about promoting tech discussions in a tech forum, would move those posts to a rat hole area and allow you and all of them to whine and complain to your hearts' content. If you want to talk about the ATV, pick another aspect of it, it's a great device, I've had 3 now, pre-ordered my first when Steve announced the gen 1 all those years back, in fact it was one of the first devices Apple (as my ageing memory recalls) ever pre-announced before it was ready, and I was so excited, the only disappointment came when I realised I had to hack it, which I did and it delivered years of wonderful service. Gen 2, another wonderful device. Gen 4, lovely device, I love mine, wish there were more games to play on it, but I'm patient. If a gen 5 comes out, which I don't expect for some time because the current one is plenty fast for what developers are *currently* throwing at it, but when it does come out, my wallet is ready to buy it and upgrade again, because I love it so much.

There loads of things to talk about, none of them to do with 4K, but guess what dominates every ATV thread - FUCKING 4K?! Enough! It's time to move along, ffs.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    TV 5 on the way, and will remove the HDMI port, relying on a USB-C to HDMI cable instead. THat's why Apple went USB-C on the TV and not Lightning. Are there any native USB-C TVs on the market yet?
  • Reply 31 of 39
    mac_128 said:
    TV 5 on the way, and will remove the HDMI port, relying on a USB-C to HDMI cable instead. THat's why Apple went USB-C on the TV and not Lightning. Are there any native USB-C TVs on the market yet?
    Oh man. that would be awesome if we could get rid of the HDMI connector. I'd gladly accept gradually replacing my home theatre components if it meant I could use the same cable for everything -- RAID, video capture, TV, flash drive... what a wonderful world that would be!
    caliroundaboutnow
  • Reply 32 of 39

Have you been paying attention to this issue, or it would seem that you might be new to it and haven't been observing the threads containing myriad posts complaining ad nauseam about 4K, on and on and on and on? Let it rest. Everyone and their dog have had their say, the same things are being rehashed over and over and over again and just when it dies down, something triggers it and it's all on full again, but only the same few people on the internet getting all worked up over a lot of nothing. If suggesting this issue has been beaten to death is lacking humility and self-aggrandising, then so be it, perhaps you've the patience of a saint, or perhaps you find yourself on the other side of this issue (which is it?). I don't dislike 4K, it's just that history is just very, very, very fucking clear what needs to happen before Apple will support it, and complaining about it won't do anything except waste a lot of your breath and my time.

From your response you didn't understand what I wrote about 4K, the same thing that Apple did with HD they will do with this. The reason they won't do 4K is because there isn't adequate content to fill their store and (lack of) bandwidth is the other problem, but the lack of content is really the biggest issue. Once both these issues are resolved, then Apple will happily fill their store with 4K content and support it in ATV hardware and it'll happen at the same time. Last time they did this with HD content, nothing hardware and nothing in the store before that one moment, then they flipped a switch and it all worked (right after they sent notices out to the studios telling them to feel free to submit their HD content to the store). Apple refuses to sell an ATV without adequate content to run on it, because in their minds (and I don't disagree) supporting it in hardware without content to run on it is adding a feature that is half baked. Remember, the Apple Music store was created to add value to the iPods, otherwise it's just an empty music device promising more than it can deliver. Same with movies and the ATV, exactly the same.

It's way past time to put this issue to rest, but some people just think the internets are their personal whinging receptacle, where negativity reigns supreme and unless you complain then you're nothing. If that's what you prefer, MacRumors is the place to be, it's filled with people who refuse to stop complaining about 4K and every other issue they can dream up that is hurting no one but seems from their agonising that Apple is causing them physical pain, all to the glee of the MacRumors owners who love nothing more than tit-tat arguments and outright fights bound in incivility about nothing in order to drive post volume for higher ad revenue, instead of thoughtful and insightful technical discussion, which these forums used to be all about.
    Current 4K distro codecs actually use about the same bandwidth as a current h264 1080 distro at 5mb/s. I wasn't sold on 4K until I bought one. Then I realized my phone shoots it, my SLR shoots it, my video camera shoots 4K and beyond. Basically most movie content is available in 4K since it was probably shot on film and scanned at least in 4K if not higher or shot digitally at 6k or 9k. It's not a question of content availability, it's a question of distribution channels and playback devices. You really just don't know WTF you're talking about boss. Go jump in a puddle with your holier than thou technical discussion. Clearly you're more wrought over it than anyone. 
    edited September 2016 caliroundaboutnow
  • Reply 33 of 39
    Current 4K distro codecs actually use about the same bandwidth as a current h264 1080 distro at 5mb/s. I wasn't sold on 4K until I bought one. Then I realized my phone shoots it, my SLR shoots it, my camera shoots it and basically most movie content is available in 4K since it was probably shot on film and scanned at least in 4K if not shot digitally at 6k or 9k. It's not a question of content availability, it's a question of distribution channels and playback devices. You really just don't know WTF you're talking about boss. Go jump in a puddle with your holier than thou technical discussion. Clearly you're more wrought over it than anyone. 
    Oh dear, here we go trying to avoid history and Apple, it's you who don't understand. The same exactly the same thing happened with 1080p, were you old enough (that's a serious question) to remember that addition to the iTunes store, when the ATV was launched? Same thing, but you go ahead and try and rewrite history to your own way of viewing things. When 4K has enough content that Apple can put it in the store, it'll happen. Which codec will they use? Don't care (but some do regarding limits on downloads I'd imagine, not me, but I live in a big metro area with fast and unlimited package), but it's irrelevant because all that is a prerequisite to their putting the content in their stores, and until that time happens, no ATV with 4K. You can take that and put it in your spliff and smoke it, monkey. Talk about holier than thou, I'm just quoting history, but everyone all up in arms about no 4k is an armchair CEO and knows how Apple should run their company and change their policies regarding how they treat their products. ffs, big yawn. Your logic is top notch, btw.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 34 of 39
    I find it odd that Directv is saying the only compatible device to stream Sunday ticket is in the Gen 4 Apple TV !?!?!?

"

What devices are supported by the NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV app?

The following devices have been certified for the NFL SUNDAY TICKET App. However, you may be able to download and use the app on a device that is not included in this list. Additional devices may be added before the start of the 2016 NFL regular season.

CONNECTED DEVICES

• Xbox One
    • Xbox 360
    • Apple TV (tvOS 4th generation only)
    • Google Chromecast
  • Reply 35 of 39

Your probably missing out. The tv I replaced was a plasma. The display I replaced it with cost half as much and truly has a better color gamut. Brightness about the same. Certainly more smart feature than I needed but if you don't want an ATV it's got Netflix, Amazon and more built in. The only thing the my old plasma had was a "better build" meaning it was heavier, thicker and made of more metal, but picture quality? That's too close to call. Better color LCD or more contrast plasma. That's just preferential, you can certainly get the quality of a plasma in 4K at less cost. At least that was my experience. 
  • Reply 36 of 39
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    jungmark said:
    cali said:

I forgot to mention this. I believe Apple will not release a 4K Apple TV until they offer 4K iTunes content. They'll most likely launch same day.

It seems strange that Apple doesn't have content higher than 1080p. Do they not believe 4K is the future? Will they release 5k iTunes content for Macs that down convert to 4K for TVs?

Some people own hundreds of movies/shows and I own thousands of dollars in content. Will we get a discount for upgrading from HD to 4K?
    Not strange. 4K has just started. The majority of users don't have 4K tvs yet. Besides what are the size of those files. 
    It's strange that Apple is "revolutionary", "advanced" and a "luxury" brand for everything except the Apple TV.

When mentioning Apple TV, fans suddenly defend it as a "safe" "cheap" device.

I remember being told that an A9x chip would make it "too expensive" and Apple wants it to be "affordable". Meanwhile Microsoft Xbox One was selling for $500. This is the same company that developed a 4K capable PHONE and had the courage to remove the headphone jack but not the courage to release a decent Apple TV with 4K capability?

I find it strange that a revolutionary company that pushes new technology first won't touch 4K. Do they not believe it's the future? Are they developing an 8k standard?
    whybare they hangnails gen chips for new Apple TVs? This is why I believe it's still a hobby, they never said it wasn't.

gtj333 said:
    cali said:
    I wanna see a true gaming machine. A8 was a joke. Hopefully they reveal a new Apple TV with A10x or something higher.

Remember this isn't something that needs to be thin as we're not carrying it with us. Look at the monstrosity the new PlayStation is and I bet more gamers will buy it anyway. Knowing Apples obsessiveness with thin technology, I know they can develop a powerful machine that's half the size of competitors.the 4th gen is too small to pack a powerful punch.

PS4 Pro:

Weak graphics 4th gen Apple TV 

Open the lightning port to 3rd parties for accessory support and do something with the damn Kinect team already!!!
    I think Cali is right.... ATV could use the A10x - the A8 was sluggish last year. While the TV buying cycle is longer than phones, I think some people would be ready to buy it  - the ATV 4th gen missed the mark because it was underpowered. When they announced Mario Run yesterday for iPhone, it seems really odd that it was not announced for ATV (yes I know they sell their own hardware). If Apple does an October event, and refreshes Macs, I would hope to see an updated ATV with A10x with Mario Run on that platform. By discontinuing the 3rd generation ATV now, they leave room for 4th generation ATV at a lower price after the October event. 

Like I said Apple TV isn't a device you carry with you so there's no need for it to be thin. Look at the giant VCR Sony is releasing that gamers are drooling over. It doesn't need to be restricted to a tiny A10x chip they can develop something twice as large(ATV Series chip) and it will still be small since it doesn't have a CD drive.

• Reply 37 of 39
    Current 4K distro codecs actually use about the same bandwidth as a current h264 1080 distro at 5mb/s. I wasn't sold on 4K until I bought one. Then I realized my phone shoots it, my SLR shoots it, my camera shoots it and basically most movie content is available in 4K since it was probably shot on film and scanned at least in 4K if not shot digitally at 6k or 9k. It's not a question of content availability, it's a question of distribution channels and playback devices. You really just don't know WTF you're talking about boss. Go jump in a puddle with your holier than thou technical discussion. Clearly you're more wrought over it than anyone. 
    Oh dear, here we go trying to avoid history and Apple, it's you who don't understand. The same exactly the same thing happened with 1080p, were you old enough (that's a serious question) to remember that addition to the iTunes store, when the ATV was launched? Same thing, but you go ahead and try and rewrite history to your own way of viewing things. When 4K has enough content that Apple can put it in the store, it'll happen. Which codec will they use? Don't care (but some do regarding limits on downloads I'd imagine, not me, but I live in a big metro area with fast and unlimited package), but it's irrelevant because all that is a prerequisite to their putting the content in their stores, and until that time happens, no ATV with 4K. You can take that and put it in your spliff and smoke it, monkey. Talk about holier than thou, I'm just quoting history, but everyone all up in arms about no 4k is an armchair CEO and knows how Apple should run their company and change their policies regarding how they treat their products. ffs, big yawn. Your logic is top notch, btw.
    I'm old enough that my first "Apple TV" was a Mac mini before they even had an Apple TV ( then white ATV 1 and so on) and the only content available was 320/ courtesy upgrade to 640 when Apple upgraded. I also happen to work in motion picture and television and most of the content is already mastered in 4K or better. The transfers from film we do on older shows are happening at much higher resolutions. The content producers have taken notice that they can resell a good transfer/ remaster of Star Trek for example; where as no one will take interest in crap like Babylon 5 on the ITS. I'm not advocating that an ATV NEEDS 4K. I'm just saying that it's not as big of a hurdle as you might imagine. Most of the content (old and new) is already there. Producers have moved way beyond HD since they've ditched tape. Shit we don't even deliver to Hard disk for some clients since we can deliver to LTO and create the master backup at the same time we deliver with little regard to file size or not rate restrictions. All Apple has to do is encourage content producers to prep the content then Apple releases the hardware. I wouldn't have given a second though about it until I went shopping for a new TV recently and experienced it all first hand. It seems an obvious next step. If Apple doesn't do it? I don't care.  I don't need it, but I will say $20+ for a 5mb/s file is kind of a sad comparison to a Blu-ray Disc at 20. I still prefer to buy BD and rip the file to my server. The ITS movies are definitely sub par and I would imagine Apple has been thinking about how to make that better. Consumers aren't as ignorant of quality as your stance requires. Apple wouldn't be the first to think about it either. It bugs me enough that I don't purchase my movies in a digital download format and would rather deal with a home server. They look way better in BD. Thanks for the personal attacks though chum. It made for a good discussion. Crawl back into your hole a biased assumptions. All anyone is talking about is the possibility. You can't argue that we aren't close to the shift. Digital delivery was a huge shift and studios are all for it. You really need to relax and take things less personally. 
    roundaboutnow
  • Reply 38 of 39
    spliff monkey said:

You really just don't know WTF you're talking about boss. Go jump in a puddle with your holier than thou technical discussion. Clearly you're more wrought over it than anyone. 

Thanks for the personal attacks though chum. It made for a good discussion. Crawl back into your hole a biased assumptions... You really need to relax and take things less personally. 

True fucking irony, it doesn't get any better than this. Perhaps put the spliff down before typing next post, the smoke is obviously clouding your judgment. You obviously have a very good idea what personal attacks are, but you just haven't realised who the person making them is, well done.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 39 of 39
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Apple still needs a product at this price-point. With the market running to the cheap seats betting on a Rolls-Royce solution is folly.  A refreshed lower end ATV maybe restricted to TVML only and a slicker interface (caching would be good) and smarter 50/60Hz content handling.
    A radical thought but maybe they could use a S2 SiP - and license it as a shrink-wrapped HW/SW package to TV makers.