Apple changes iPhone 6s pricing and storage options, cuts 64GB iPhone SE to $449

Posted:
in iPhone
In the wake of its iPhone 7 announcement, Apple has made a series of changes to the existing iPhone lineup, looking to make the iPhone 6s, 6s Plus, and SE more appealing to cost-conscious shoppers.

The iPhone 6s now comes in just two storage configurations, 32 and 128 gigabytes, priced at $549 and $649, respectively. Previously 128 gigabytes cost $200 more, and there was no 32-gigabyte option -- an equivalent 16-gigabyte model was $649.

The situation is similar with the 6s Plus, which is $649 for a 32-gigabyte model and $749 for 128 gigabytes. Until this week, a 128-gigabyte model cost nearly $1,000.

In both cases, the changes mirror the doubling of storage on the iPhone 7 line, which has 32, 128, and 256-gigabyte tiers. Preorders start on Friday, and the first deliveries should arrive Sept. 16.

Apple has meanwhile discounted the price of a 64-gigabyte iPhone SE by $50, putting it at $449. A 16-gigabyte model still exists at its original $399 pricetag.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    The SE is only £10 cheaper in the UK. I don't blame Apple for the smaller reduction; I blame Brexit.

Thanks leave voters, thanks a lot!
    edited September 2016 baconstangDeelron[Deleted User]
  • Reply 2 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    mobius said:
    The SE is only £10 cheaper in the UK. I don't blame Apple for the smaller reduction; I blame Brexit.

If you're not going to blame Apple and you're going to blame the voters why not follow that thinking to its logical conclusion and blame the bureaucracy that is the EU.
    edited September 2016 mike1JanNLstevehJillxz
  • Reply 3 of 16
    mobius said:

Step away from the keyboard, go get yourself a lolly, and leave the thinking to the adults. 
    mike1steveh
  • Reply 4 of 16
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    mobius said:

You lost. Quit being butthurt.

steveh
  • Reply 5 of 16
    apple ][ said:
    mobius said:

Almost everyone lost in a financial sense. I see every reason for being angry and none for rejoicing. Enough butthurt for you?
    edited September 2016 calibaconstangDeelronroundaboutnow[Deleted User]
  • Reply 6 of 16
    ireland said:
    mobius said:

If you're not going to blame Apple and you're going to blame the voters why not follow that thinking to its logical conclusion and blame the bureaucracy that is the EU.
    Better to be in than out so we can try to affect positive change to the system. I will grant you the result has sent shockwaves through the EU which may do just that. But without an effective voice in Europe, we cannot do anything but poke and nudge like a tiny stray dog at the heels of a fat indifferent man walking slowly by, and while the big players do as they please regardless of our opinions, needs or wisdom.
    edited September 2016 baconstangroundaboutnow
  • Reply 7 of 16
    mobius said:

Where have you seen it is £10 cheaper, it used to be £359 now it's £379, so its gone up by £20. Same with iPhone 7, iPad's etc

http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-se/16gb-space-grey

• Reply 8 of 16
    wide range of prices...$400 - $950...all for phones that are 1 yr old or less...impressive change from the day of phones from $650 - $850. Not to mention that the $650 of 10 yrs ago is more like $$550 in today's dollars...so the phones have actually gotten cheaper by not changing prices with inflation.
    baconstangstompy
  • Reply 9 of 16
    mobius said:

Where have you seen it is £10 cheaper, it used to be £359 now it's £379, so its gone up by £20. Same with iPhone 7, iPad's etc

http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-se/16gb-space-grey

I'm talking about the 64GB version. The 16GB version has gone up, and is pretty much non-existent to me due to the low storage. I have a friend who has very small hands and she was interested in getting one. I told her to wait until the new phones were announced in the hopes it would be significantly reduced in price. £10 is a bit pathetic TBH.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 10 of 16
    mobius said:

Step away from the keyboard, go get yourself a lolly, and leave the thinking to the adults. 
    Actually, I think it was the younger generation who felt most disenfranchised by the whole thing. The result would have been to remain if the voting age had been 16 - the legal voting age in Scotland.

75% of voters aged 24 and under voted Remain, with Leave voters steadily rising with age; 61% of those over 65 voted Leave.

So, while I understand your reply was frivolous, it seems the younger generation, and those not yet classed as adults, are the ones with a firmer handle on what is better for the UK. They understand working together is better than working apart. Many opportunities that they may have had for studying and gaining work experience overseas are now greatly diminished which is very sad.

In my experience, many so-called children are far wiser and forward thinking than their older counterparts. The older generation should not be so dismissive of their rights and opinions.
    baconstangDeelroncnocbuiroundaboutnow[Deleted User]
  • Reply 11 of 16
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    mobius said:
    apple ][ said:
    mobius said:

Almost everyone lost in a financial sense. I see every reason for being angry and none for rejoicing. Enough butthurt for you?
    You should be rejoicing instead of looking at short term setbacks. If you consider the long term advantages you would get over your but hurt mentality. The EU frankly has sucked for a very long time now, it isn't surprising that more people want to leave than stay.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Next version(2017/18 ?) of iphone SE will be 32GB and 128GB with update to processor, home button, camera.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Eesh. Americans in a tech forum trying to discuss the political intricacies of Brexit. /shudder
    mobiusrazormaid[Deleted User]
  • Reply 14 of 16
    wood1208 said:
    Next version(2017/18 ?) of iphone SE will be 32GB and 128GB with update to processor, home button, camera.
    I'm guessing that instead of keeping the SE around, Apple will just make the next iPhone (not sure what they'll call it but I hear rumors it won't be a "7S" because it'll have a new chassis) in 3 screen sizes, with variously increasing capabilities.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Eesh. Americans in a tech forum trying to discuss the political intricacies of Brexit. /shudder
    It's not like Europeans in tech fora don't bang on about American internal politics, right?