Video: Hands-on with waterproof Apple Watch Series 2 with GPS, white ceramic Edition

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited September 2016
The new Apple Watch Series 2 boasts a faster processor, GPS radio, waterproof design, support for swim tracking, and a new high-end white ceramic Edition casing. AppleInsider offers a closer look at the second-generation wearable device.

For more videos like this, subscribe to the official AppleInsider channel on YouTube.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Hmm, the only aspect of this video that pertains to the ceramic edition is that it incorrectly points to it with the $369 price.
    nolamacguypatchythepiratedamonfSpamSandwichdoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Ceramic is actually not a bad choice if you're going to be doing a lot of swimming. Not susceptible to corrosion from saltwater or chlorine like its metal counterparts.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 17
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I wonder who did the voice over for the video. He sounds just like the guy at OWC who does their instructional videos, and who is a repair tech there.
    lmagoo
  • Reply 4 of 17
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Ceramic is actually not a bad choice if you're going to be doing a lot of swimming. Not susceptible to corrosion from saltwater or chlorine like its metal counterparts.
    Apple uses a version of 316 SS for its Watch series. That's very corrosion resistant. It's used in the lab equipment I had in my company. 
    Darth Siduxdoozydozencali
  • Reply 5 of 17
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    The Series 2 Apple Watch seems to have a lot of potential as a dive watch, once suitable apps and accessories become available: compass, timer, depth gauge, and (via a transmitter) cylinder pressure gauge.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    mcarling said:
    The Series 2 Apple Watch seems to have a lot of potential as a dive watch, once suitable apps and accessories become available: compass, timer, depth gauge, and (via a transmitter) cylinder pressure gauge.
    Standardized waterproof ratings are very weird — being rated to 50 meters does not mean a watch should be used in 50 meters of water. Apple's own fine print clearly state the Series 2 is only meant for "shallow" water activities and it explicitly says it should not be used as a dive watch, unfortunately.

Apple Watch Series 2 has a water resistance rating of 50 meters under ISO standard 22810:2010. This means that it may be used for shallow-water activities like swimming in a pool or ocean. However, Apple Watch Series 2 should not be used for scuba diving, waterskiing, or other activities involving high-velocity water or submersion below shallow depth.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 17
    melgross said:
    Apple uses a version of 316 SS for its Watch series. That's very corrosion resistant. It's used in the lab equipment I had in my company. 
    316L is more corrosion resistant than standard 316, but cannot come close to ceramic. Not even Monel or Titanium is even in the ballpark. Chlorine will eat away just about every metal. The only other material that comes close is Teflon which we use to line our valves for chlorine service, but if you really need it to last it's all about ceramics. The only thing you gotta worry about is how brittle it is. 
    wreighvendoozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 17
    nhughes said:
    mcarling said:
    Standardized waterproof ratings are very weird — being rated to 50 meters does not mean a watch should be used in 50 meters of water. Apple's own fine print clearly state the Series 2 is only meant for "shallow" water activities and it explicitly says it should not be used as a dive watch, unfortunately.

Apple Watch Series 2 has a water resistance rating of 50 meters under ISO standard 22810:2010. This means that it may be used for shallow-water activities like swimming in a pool or ocean. However, Apple Watch Series 2 should not be used for scuba diving, waterskiing, or other activities involving high-velocity water or submersion below shallow depth.
    Makes sense. It's not pressurized like a dive watch is. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 17
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I really like those Nike bands.  I was intending on getting a black steel with link bracelet, but since the Nike bands aren't for sale seperately and only come with the alumnium that leaves me in a pickle.

Has anyone tried matching the space black aluminium with the black steel link bracelet, I wonder?
    doozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 17
    The ceramic one looks really gorgeous as well, but does it only come with the white sport band?  There doesn't seem to be any photos on apple.com of it paired with any other bands.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    crowley said:
    The ceramic one looks really gorgeous as well, but does it only come with the white sport band?  There doesn't seem to be any photos on apple.com of it paired with any other bands.
    I bet it would look awesome with the red or black sport band, or the black Milanese loop. White can go with pretty much anything. 
    edited September 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Any word regarding the size of the world's most advance consumer display shipping in the series 2 AW?? 

A few rumors pegged the new AW to have less bezel due to either smaller chassis or larger display. We now know the the chassis remains unchanged relatively. What about the darn display size?
  • Reply 13 of 17
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    nhughes said:
    mcarling said:

Standard open water diving is limited to 18 meters.  There are possibilities to dive deeper, but most scuba diving does not exceed 18 meters.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    No story on Apple becoming the 2nd biggest watch brand in the world?

We dealt with a years worth of analysts saying Apple Watch was a failure c'mon give us the story and spread the news!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 17
    cali said:

We dealt with a years worth of analysts saying Apple Watch was a failure c'mon give us the story and spread the news!
    Second biggest was by revenue, not units.  Still impressive, but the analysts have been focussed on the units shipped vs iPhone, iPad, etc.
    cali
  • Reply 16 of 17
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    melgross said:
    316L is more corrosion resistant than standard 316, but cannot come close to ceramic. Not even Monel or Titanium is even in the ballpark. Chlorine will eat away just about every metal. The only other material that comes close is Teflon which we use to line our valves for chlorine service, but if you really need it to last it's all about ceramics. The only thing you gotta worry about is how brittle it is. 
    Lol.

The corrosion resistance of titanium to moist chlorine gas and chloride containing solutions is the basis for the largest number of titanium applications. Titanium is widely used in chlor-alkali cells; dimensionally stable anodes; bleaching equipment for pulp and paper; heat exchangers, pumps, piping and vessels used in the production of organic intermediates; pollution control devices; and even for human body prosthetic devices.

• Reply 17 of 17
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    crowley said:
    cali said:

Second biggest was by revenue, not units.  Still impressive, but the analysts have been focussed on the units shipped vs iPhone, iPad, etc.
    Ah I see. Still freaking impressive for 8 months time and I would assume sales are up there too if they can reach #2 in revenue.

I'm sure if units were up but revenue was down analysts would be focused on revenue instead.