Apple's Wide Color screen on the iPhone 7 will lead to more faithful color reproduction

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    I think those viewing the square as red is because your system re-maps Adobe RGB or DCI-P3 color space to sRBG this modifying all colors so they can be displayed on your device. That's why most of you view the symbol inside and the square as red instead of orange. My Galaxy S2 shows the symbols inside a red square. I doubt it has a profile even bigger than sRGB if not less, so the color conversion must be taking place. Even on newer smartphones like LG G4 it happens the same. Can anybody confirm?
  • Reply 22 of 27
    eriamjh said:
    Based on comments above, notes of people seeing and not seeing the logo, I'm convinced that most of us will not notice the difference in a better display the same way non-audiophiles don't notice better-sounding audio on lossless tracks. 
    Probably true, but the other side of the argument is that without pushing for better we'd still have 8-bit "Coleco Color." I'm not sure at what point, if any, one should declare "good enough" and stop improving. At least this way the few who DO appreciate it will benefit.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    eriamjh said:
    Based on comments above, notes of people seeing and not seeing the logo, I'm convinced that most of us will not notice the difference in a better display the same way non-audiophiles don't notice better-sounding audio on lossless tracks.  

Flappy bird, Pokemon Go, at al will not look any different.  Neither will the web.  

Will mu old pictures jump out as better suddenly?

No matter.  Iphone7 Plus ordered in Blacker than Black Black.
    Yes Netflix looks amazing... so much so fingerprints annoy you and affect the presentation... and need to use the apple pencil to cut down on the finger prints.

Actually on a ipad pro 9.7 watching the twitch feed of the playstation metting (1080p) about the ps4 pro playing Call of Duty:    Infinite warfare... the game looked exciting... somehow the color management made the colors look like HDR. 
    When i rewatched that meeting on youtube on a 4k monitor (acer 280hu) it looked flat.

• Reply 24 of 27
    I'm seeing the logo on a 2013 Dell monitor, but ironically, not on my 2015 Dell monitor.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    All of you that are seeing the logo in the square are doing so on incorrectly calibrated displays or hardware that doesn't have system-wide color management. 

Android has no color management at all so everyone on Android that sees the logo its because your OS is interpreting all data in the display color space and just stretching all content to the limits of whatever color gamut your OLED can display meaning you have oversaturated, incorrect color reproduction.

Take a look at the Displaymate review on your Galaxy Note 7 and you'll see that in the default mode (they use modes instead of real color management which is crap but still better than all other Android phones) when viewing all sRGB content (90% of everything out there) has Average Color Shift 
    From sRGB / Rec.709 of 8.3 JNCD. Thats seriously terrible. If you look at the same Displaymate criteria for iPhone 7 you'll see a much more impressive 1.1 JNCD. The numbers don't lie folks. Without actual render-time color management Android is a mess. They get away with it by saying in the review that the colors are "Intentionally oversaturated" but thats an excuse for not building a proper CMM. Staring in iOS 9.3, Apple's is the only mobile operating system with this support. 

Also back to the comments that people see the logo on old devices, this is because you have your Display Preferences Color profile set to something other than the native properties of your display so again you're suffering from the same problem as Android. You are misinterpreting the color data in everything youre viewing. 

• Reply 26 of 27
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    palegolas said:
    I get the colour representation from the charts. But I've never understood how brightness is read on these colour charts. Equally, or perhaps even more important is what happens with the colours at different brightness levels. I'm sure this is part of the Dci-p3 standards too.
    The chart doesn't represent brightness directly. Maximizing all 3 channels produces a specific color, in this case D65. The vertices of the triangle represent a single channel set to maximum and 2 set to 0.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member

I just see a flat red square on my iphone 7 there.

Edit: Oh, I think AI demonstrated it wrong, if you check the Webkit website the third image shows the delta between them. 

https://webkit.org/blog-files/color-gamut/
    edited May 2017