Editorial: Apple's AirPods, iPhone 7, Series 2 Watch out... journalists

Comments

• Reply 101 of 139
    mubaili said:
    paxman said:
    I am super happy about the removal of the audio jack. When I get my iPhone 7 no-one in my house can steal and lose my headphones! For maybe a year, hopefully longer I will be the only one who can use my Lightning headset. There are two Apple products I buy repeatedly, and always more than one at the time - charging cables and head phones. The headphones will no longer be an issue. I wish they had changed the main culprit - the Lightning charging cable. Shoulda been wireless.
    For some reason I do like the Apple headphones and buy them from Apple. But for charging cables, boy, even a loyal Apple fan should do them a favor and buy from someone else that are much better quality and cost 1/10th. 
    I have not found quality cables at 1/10th. That'd be $2. even the Monoprice and Amazon cables I've bought sucked and fell apart. Anker has been good but is not super cheap. 
    I've had very good luck with Monoprice lightning cables.   They aren't that much cheaper, but come in a wider range of lengths and colors.  Nobody confuses my red cloth covered cable with their white ones, and the 6" cable keeps my desktop neater for backing up my iPhone.
    pscooter63ration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 102 of 139
    Great article! 
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 103 of 139
    "We do not need to be spoon-fed media opinions based on the objectives of Apple's rivals. And we don't need to bathe in a false narrative that Apple isn't really successful, doesn't ever know what it's doing and is at real risk of constant failure for failing to listen to the media's ideas. " BRAVO!
    caliai46watto_cobrahill60
  • Reply 104 of 139
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    sog35 said:
    Great article DED.

It really boils down to money.

Samsung, Google, and Microsoft offers a ton of advertising money to the tech media. Apple does not.  Samsung is literally paying the tech media to spew total bull crap about Apple.

I don't see this ever changing unless Apple ups its advertising budget significantly.

Do I care? Not really. I simply laugh at the tech media and their stupidity and whore like pratices of following the money. Because they are not fooling anyone except the foolish. Apple will continue to dominate and there is nothing the pathetic tech media can do about it.
    Samsung has been doing consumer electronics for so long competing with giants like SONY.  I think one strategy is by closely working with media and sales people.  And you know the truth is media and sales do not practice honesty.  They are contradiction to Apple ideology of for the best of users.  Apple Store and Genius Bar and unlimited service to Apple products are all based on this ideology. 
    caliration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 105 of 139
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Soli said:
    grangerfx said:
    Anyone else bothered by the fact that you can't change the AirPod's volume without Siri which requires a connection to the internet to interpret "lower the volume"?
    1) The AirPods are connected to a device that you probably have on your person or very near by, because Bluetooth; so, no.

2) Is requiring an internet connection with all Siri commands going to a requirement? Remember that iOS 10 brings Siri's neural network local to the device in an amazingly small package. With Apple's ability to control the entire stack, which means they can build in an entire part of their A-series (and later their S-series and even their W-series), chips to support this local Siri functionality, it may already be technically possible to use Siri without connecting to Apple's backend, even if it's not yet enabled for iOS 10 and the iPhone 7 series.

3) Let's remember that it's 2016 and the chances of you not having an internet connection on an iPhone when you need to lower your volume but your iPhone isn't within an arm or step's reach is relatively unlikely, and overall not anything in which to be bothered by.

How about the fact that Apple will not sell iPhone 7s to new customers? You have to already have an active account with a major carrier to buy one. Funny that was never mentioned during the rollout or in the splashy Apple web pages. You had to get up at 3:00 AM to find out.
    This is the first I'm hearing of this. Could you supply some sources?
    That last part. He meant iPhone SEVENS not next years "s" model. He means new network customers which the reason for doing so has already been explained, to avoid scalpers from selling unlocked phones for high prices in regions where it's not available and to maximize product for those who want an iPhone.
    edited September 2016 ration al
  • Reply 106 of 139
    qwwera said:

qwwera said:
    Walt Mossberg was a "real" noted and respected journalist before he himself invented tech journalism. He is funny, charming and intelligent...
    The new bunch, Nily Patel included, have no business or credentials to talk than anyone here. His whole bizzare drunk rant on the 3.5 jack, ..basically calling it a crime against humanity is how far down a trench tech journalism has gone down since Walt came on the scene.
    the sad thing is even Mossberg is a concern troll now. I think it must be part of getting old and irrelevant?
    Mossberg is usually voice of reason on the podcast. And he is has a right to his opinion. And if you listen to him on AltWalt Delete. He is not lock step with Nily. They politely disagree many times.
    I haven't heard his podcast but his articles are awful these days. 
    Like I said, everyone is entitled to their opinions and his are usually well thought out and doesn't disparage a product without a well thought out and well explained reason.

just because you have a different opinion and call out Apple on occasion doesn't make you a troll. And he certainly is not one.
    baconstanganantksundaram
  • Reply 107 of 139
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    cali said:
    Soli said:
    grangerfx said:
    Anyone else bothered by the fact that you can't change the AirPod's volume without Siri which requires a connection to the internet to interpret "lower the volume"?
    1) The AirPods are connected to a device that you probably have on your person or very near by, because Bluetooth; so, no.

2) Is requiring an internet connection with all Siri commands going to a requirement? Remember that iOS 10 brings Siri's neural network local to the device in an amazingly small package. With Apple's ability to control the entire stack, which means they can build in an entire part of their A-series (and later their S-series and even their W-series), chips to support this local Siri functionality, it may already be technically possible to use Siri without connecting to Apple's backend, even if it's not yet enabled for iOS 10 and the iPhone 7 series.

3) Let's remember that it's 2016 and the chances of you not having an internet connection on an iPhone when you need to lower your volume but your iPhone isn't within an arm or step's reach is relatively unlikely, and overall not anything in which to be bothered by.

How about the fact that Apple will not sell iPhone 7s to new customers? You have to already have an active account with a major carrier to buy one. Funny that was never mentioned during the rollout or in the splashy Apple web pages. You had to get up at 3:00 AM to find out.
    This is the first I'm hearing of this. Could you supply some sources?
    That last part. He mean iPhone SEVENS not next years "s" model. He means new network customers which the reason for doing so has already been explained, to avoid scalpers from selling unlocked phones for high prices in regions where it's not available and to maximize product for those who want an iPhone.
    Yeah, his use of "7s" is obvious, but where are the sources that show that no new customers were able to pre-order an iPhone?

Let me put this in some simpler pieces:
    • Apple has had to contend with scalpers since the start. Why is anyone shocked by scalpers on the world's most popular CE and why is anyone upset that Apple doesn't want customers to compete with scalpers and pay more their retail price for the product?
    • Saying you have to be with a MNO doesn't mean you would have already had to have been an Apple customer. Those two comments are not congruent as stated, which is another indication that he didn't think it through.
    • I just went through every possible step I could with T-Mobile (US) to see if I could pre-order an iPhone. I can right up to the checkout without any requirement to already be a T-Mobile customer, so the statement "you have to already have an active account with a major carrier" is patently false. I would also bet that MVNOs and regional MNOs, which aren't typically classed as "major" also allow you to purchase an iPhone 7-series through them, even if you didn't already have an account with them prior to 3:00 AM ET.
  • Reply 108 of 139
    boredumb said:
    "...its existing one billion installed base of iPhone users..."
    Didn't the "one billion" figure refer to all Apple devices and computers active?
    Anyone remember more accurately?

Oh, and, "...almost ten years later we have devolved into a society of buffoons..."
    Actually, I believe studies show we have always pretty much been a society of buffoons.
    ;) 
    In this keynote it was said that they sold their 1 Billionth iPhone. DED has misquoted the information between the quote you remember and what was said about the iPhones sold. It is safe to assume that there is some large number of the 1B iPhones that are no longer in use. Two things turn me off about DED's articles. First, the tone in which he writes. This article in a certain sense does what he is deriding other journalists for doing. He pushes his is own narrative (by insinuating he is the only journalist that gets Apple since he attacks everyone else) when he too could ask the good questions and present the information so we can make up our own minds. Second, as this post pointed out he plays fast and loose with facts to suit his needs. Saying Apple has 1B installed base of iPhones certainly doesn't make the article better. It does however further his narrative and undercut him in the eyes of people that know facts being stretched. He could have gotten the facts right and it would not have detracted from the point of the article at all. Saying 1B iPhones sold is still a pretty damn spiffy accomplishment. DED, if you read my comments... Do please consider your tone. If you think the tone is fine, please consider getting an outside editor to review some of your work. I really do believe it would expand your journalistic influence.
    There are probably 1B active IOS devices though.
  • Reply 109 of 139
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    foggyhill said:
    boredumb said:
    "...its existing one billion installed base of iPhone users..."
    Didn't the "one billion" figure refer to all Apple devices and computers active?
    Anyone remember more accurately?

Oh, and, "...almost ten years later we have devolved into a society of buffoons..."
    Actually, I believe studies show we have always pretty much been a society of buffoons.  
    In this keynote it was said that they sold their 1 Billionth iPhone. DED has misquoted the information between the quote you remember and what was said about the iPhones sold. It is safe to assume that there is some large number of the 1B iPhones that are no longer in use. Two things turn me off about DED's articles. First, the tone in which he writes. This article in a certain sense does what he is deriding other journalists for doing. He pushes his is own narrative (by insinuating he is the only journalist that gets Apple since he attacks everyone else) when he too could ask the good questions and present the information so we can make up our own minds. Second, as this post pointed out he plays fast and loose with facts to suit his needs. Saying Apple has 1B installed base of iPhones certainly doesn't make the article better. It does however further his narrative and undercut him in the eyes of people that know facts being stretched. He could have gotten the facts right and it would not have detracted from the point of the article at all. Saying 1B iPhones sold is still a pretty damn spiffy accomplishment. DED, if you read my comments... Do please consider your tone. If you think the tone is fine, please consider getting an outside editor to review some of your work. I really do believe it would expand your journalistic influence.
    There are probably 1B active IOS devices though.
    Apple announced in 2014 that they had sold over 1B iOS-based device, and in January of this year, during their 1Q2016 quarter earning reports for the last quarter of the 2015 calendar year that they had over 1B active iOS-based devices in use.
    edited September 2016 anantksundaramration al
  • Reply 110 of 139
    Rayz2016 said:
    Tony P said:
    Brilliant article. It's refreshing to see a media source so balanced and impartial, that doesn't suffer from the very things it complains of from others. One day, maybe, I'll write that again and mean it.

I was going to pull you up on that, then I reached the end of your post. :-)

Unfortunately, DED has a point, and his comment about 'LostGate' was not only spot on, it was hilarious. Why in the name of all that's holy is a small gadget now a failure because people might misplace it? I've lost car keys, stationary … my CAR … and not once have I said, 'Wow, if I'd known one day I couldn't remember where I put it I would never have bought it in the first place.' 

Still, to calm the fake worrywarts, Apple should put a 'find my headphones' function on all the iGadgets. Press an on-screen button, and the headphones start sounding at the iPhone standard ring tone. 
    I've lost earings a lot more expensive than that, more often than I care to remember... 3 or 4... And countless of the cheap ones in 35 years.
    And they were actually supposedly attached to my ears...
    So, hey, not worried really. If you can't notice your losing something playing music in your ears, you just might be going deaf ;-).

baconstangration alfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 111 of 139
    mubaili said:
    paxman said:
    I am super happy about the removal of the audio jack. When I get my iPhone 7 no-one in my house can steal and lose my headphones! For maybe a year, hopefully longer I will be the only one who can use my Lightning headset. There are two Apple products I buy repeatedly, and always more than one at the time - charging cables and head phones. The headphones will no longer be an issue. I wish they had changed the main culprit - the Lightning charging cable. Shoulda been wireless.
    For some reason I do like the Apple headphones and buy them from Apple. But for charging cables, boy, even a loyal Apple fan should do them a favor and buy from someone else that are much better quality and cost 1/10th. 
    I have not found quality cables at 1/10th. That'd be $2. even the Monoprice and Amazon cables I've bought sucked and fell apart. Anker has been good but is not super cheap. 
    I've had very good luck with Monoprice lightning cables.   They aren't that much cheaper, but come in a wider range of lengths and colors.  Nobody confuses my red cloth covered cable with their white ones, and the 6" cable keeps my desktop neater for backing up my iPhone.
    yeah. I should add what I like about the Anker's is the braided sheath and Kevlar lining -- cat proof!!
    ration al
  • Reply 112 of 139

qwwera said:
    Walt Mossberg was a "real" noted and respected journalist before he himself invented tech journalism. He is funny, charming and intelligent...
    The new bunch, Nily Patel included, have no business or credentials to talk than anyone here. His whole bizzare drunk rant on the 3.5 jack, ..basically calling it a crime against humanity is how far down a trench tech journalism has gone down since Walt came on the scene.
    the sad thing is even Mossberg is a concern troll now. I think it must be part of getting old and irrelevant?
    I hear the LCD soundsystem song "I'm losing my edge" everytime I read an old timer... Except in this case, he new crowd of bloggers are just asswipe posers you should not try to emulate in any way.
    baconstang
  • Reply 113 of 139
    qwwera said:
    qwwera said:

qwwera said:
    Mossberg is usually voice of reason on the podcast. And he is has a right to his opinion. And if you listen to him on AltWalt Delete. He is not lock step with Nily. They politely disagree many times.
    Like I said, everyone is entitled to their opinions and his are usually well thought out and doesn't disparage a product without a well thought out and well explained reason.

just because you have a different opinion and call out Apple on occasion doesn't make you a troll. And he certainly is not one.
    it's not about calling out Apple. Gruber does this on occasion as well but he does so using rational thought and reason, and avoids popular troll tropes. Wossberg is definitely doing some concerning trolling these days. 

"[the iPhone 7] better be great" (or doom. Like Apple isn't known for great phones)

"The latest iPhones and iPads are derivative products" (like, duh, revolution isn't normal and iterative improvement is how Apple has always rolled)

...etc. I've noticed it in his columns the last few years. 

RSGinSFration alfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 114 of 139
    Even for a Apple fanboy website, this "editorial" piece is off the scale. Not a credit to the generally very well written, factual pieces on this website, the thrust of the article (all tech journo's were hoping for an Apple fail) is both fatuous and juvenile.
    I'm not sure if you understand the concept of an editorial. It's not a factual piece, it's an opinion. 

One that I happen to agree with -- the tech media have a narrative template they like to use for apple. It's different for Apple than it is for their competitors. 
    baconstangwilliamlondonai46pscooter63fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 115 of 139
    And like clockwork, the doom and gloom continues. https://hackernoon.com/the-age-of-apple-is-over-b4570e2a2955#.55vbxyu4o
    ai46
  • Reply 116 of 139
    Even for a Apple fanboy website, this "editorial" piece is off the scale. Not a credit to the generally very well written, factual pieces on this website, the thrust of the article (all tech journo's were hoping for an Apple fail) is both fatuous and juvenile.
    I'm not sure if you understand the concept of an editorial. It's not a factual piece, it's an opinion. 

One that I happen to agree with -- the tech media have a narrative template they like to use for apple. It's different for Apple than it is for their competitors. 
    They are juvenile and their little 3.5 jack narrative is so comically and obviously wrong. It be one thing if it was inconsequential, but their drunk ravings on the 3.5 jack like Nily Patel's can cost a real company real money. All on account of bufoonary rather than anything close to journalism.

I can already see them backtracking and making excuses when it finally dawns on everyone how preposterous the whole affair has been.
    This is one ridiclous event is one that people will be taking about for many years to come.
    nolamacguyai46ration alfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 117 of 139
    Well the attack is on main stream tech media as AI generally attracts Apple fans and trolls. Main stream media is suppose to be objective as a source for average joes. 
    edited September 2016 baconstangmacseekerai46
  • Reply 118 of 139
    qwwera said:
    qwwera said:

qwwera said:

Walt might not be.
    Nily is. Also a scum & a douche..... hate that guy.
    mejsric
  • Reply 119 of 139
    ffahleraz said:
    Mr. Dilger strikes again with this terrific piece!
    Are we really calling people "fascists" before a single iPhone 7 or Series 2 watch has been delivered?  I hope sales are good even though I disagree with living in a world of dongles, but maybe we should see how the market responds before we declare victory. 

What do we say when it's Microsoft who is "struggling to satisfy pre-orders?  We say they didn't build very many. Interestingly, Apple has decided not to reveal early, actual numbers this time around. This is not a good sign that Apple actually disagrees with the predictions of some of these journalists. 

Finally, how is it "very clear" that iPhone sales are "snowballing"?   No table or link is provided. We know we saw peak sales already, but we have also seen that the comparison year was an anomaly and, excluding that, the general line remains pointed up at the same slope, but "snowballing" implies non-linear increases. This is the first I've heard that for any smartphone in the last few years, and sounds like fanboy hyperbole to me. 

Yes, the treatment of Apple from tech media seems unfair, but this article has some serious issues. 
    baconstangsingularity
  • Reply 120 of 139
    Great article!  I couldn't agree more.  Sad but it's all very true.  
    ai46watto_cobra