Apple A10 Fusion in iPhone 7 family surprises, exceeds pre-release expectations

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    wizard69 said:
    Do you commenters imagine the big.LITTLE architecture to become standard for Apple moving forward? 

I doubt this is big.little, but rather a superior implementation by Apple. They even hinted at this by mentioning their custom performance controller at the announcement.

big.little isn't nearly as good as people think, especially with the overhead you get if you put a thread onto the wrong core and want to move it later.
    I have to agree that people are jumping the gun calling this big.LITTLE. Im thinking more along the lines of a four core SMP that isn't so symmetric. In stead we have four equal core with two simply clocked much lower in speed.

a bit of hardware I place to manage when high performance is called for and to ramp up the fast cores as required.   Why would Apple do this! To me the obvious reason is iPad and other higher performance machines, with a little tweaking, maybe even as simple as a fuse, you suddenly have a four core chip with all cores running full out.  

im not a a fan of big.LITTLE, at least not in current implementations so I'm really hoping Apple did something different here.  

Apple's own graphic provides some clues.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 49
    *duplicate post deleted.

WTF is wrong with AI iOS app? What junk, and to think about the irony of how we critic Apple related news on an iOS app that is plagued by misgivings. Do you heavy contributors comment using a desktop Internet browser?

Mobile Safari. 
  • Reply 43 of 49
    *duplicate post deleted.

WTF is wrong with AI iOS app? What junk, and to think about the irony of how we critic Apple related news on an iOS app that is plagued by misgivings. Do you heavy contributors comment using a desktop Internet browser?
    It looks like it was designed in Flash for Android. Truly horrible!!
  • Reply 44 of 49
    koop said:
    Any reasonable android fan will tell you that number 1 thing they are most jealous of with the iPhone is Apple's amazing A chips. Apple has done nothing but embarrass qualcomm for the past two to three years. Intel basically didn't even bother.

Those chips are crazy. Apple's combination of using them with their super fast storage solution, plus 3gb of memory means iPhone 7 is going to be so ridiculously fast that I can't even wrap my head around it.
    Well then they are missing half of the story. The other part of the formula is OS efficiency to increase the hardware performance. It's not just the chip, but overall design for both iPhone and iOS that seal the deal.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 49
    wizard69 said:
    Soli said:
    wizard69 said:
    Do you commenters imagine the big.LITTLE architecture to become standard for Apple moving forward? 

I doubt this is big.little, but rather a superior implementation by Apple. They even hinted at this by mentioning their custom performance controller at the announcement.

big.little isn't nearly as good as people think, especially with the overhead you get if you put a thread onto the wrong core and want to move it later.
    I have to agree that people are jumping the gun calling this big.LITTLE. Im thinking more along the lines of a four core SMP that isn't so symmetric. In stead we have four equal core with two simply clocked much lower in speed.

a bit of hardware I place to manage when high performance is called for and to ramp up the fast cores as required.   Why would Apple do this! To me the obvious reason is iPad and other higher performance machines, with a little tweaking, maybe even as simple as a fuse, you suddenly have a four core chip with all cores running full out.  

im not a a fan of big.LITTLE, at least not in current implementations so I'm really hoping Apple did something different here.  
    Did you read MR's conjecture on A10 Fusion?
    Actually no, I've been swamped at work and frankly when watching the Apple debut of the new iPHone drifted in and out. In any event my comments today are basically my imagination and a little bit of "this is how I'd do it".

now that you have mentioned it I will like have to see what you are talking about on MR.   At least the forums work properly over on MR!   
    The article is very good. I didn't bother reading the comments...
  • Reply 46 of 49
    i read apple insider from a desktop browser and a feed app

edited September 2016
  • Reply 47 of 49
    apple ][ said:
    I have breaking news!

Can we get a story on this? Surely, this is just as newsworthy as any bogus analyst speculation stories.

Chinese man threatens to jump off 25th-floor balcony because he 'lost his iPhone 6' 

I don't recall anybody ever wanting to jump off of any balconies because they had lost their Android phone. :# 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3785511/Chinese-man-threatens-jump-25th-floor-balcony-lost-iPhone-6.html#ixzz4K4iTRvUp 

But you hear a lot of stories of people getting burned because they used their Android phone :-)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 49
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 49 of 49
    dklebedev said:
    Did anyone mention that SAMSUNK DIDID FIRST!!1
    Reminds me of  that old morse code, self-answering question:  Who did it?