Review roundup: iPhone 7 is the greatest iPhone yet, but lack of the headphone jack is annoying

Comments

• Reply 41 of 98
    This jackgate kerfuffle is a tempest in a teapot stirred up by people who write tech for a living needing some kind of controversy to pound their keyboards on just to make their day-to-day lives more interesting.

Some iPhone 7 buyers would whine for 5 seconds if there was no free dongle in the box, but there is, so most people don't care at all.  All indications are that the 7s are flying off the metaphorical shelves.  People who shorted AAPL got spanked again.
    ration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 98
    I remember the endless rants of removing the floppy drive on the first iMac. People claimed it would not sell! Then I remember falling for the false rage of the newer thin iMacs not coming with a DVD burner. So I bought the optional USB burner when I bought my iMac 3 or 4 years ago. I still have never used it once.

Almost everyone I see using headphones on the commuter rail I take daily is using the white earbuds that came with their iPhone. Those who have more sophisticated audio taste will use the adapter. All of them will get 1 or 2 extra hours every day out of their iPhone 7 battery! This is a non-issue.
    nolamacguyanantksundaramration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 98
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Sorry for just quoting you and re-posting, it wouldn't let me add my bit underneath.
    Yeah, that happens a lot to me as well. I discovered that if you use the </> button to switch to HTML editing, you can add a line return and start typing. At that point you can then resume to the rich text editor to complete your post by tapping the </> button again.
    ration al
  • Reply 44 of 98

I'm sure Apple is really bummed that they weren't able to ship all the camera features for the Plus model on day 1. Gruber called the Plus camera update meh. That's not what Schiller wants to hear.
    please quote where Gruber says or even implies only a "meh" camera update. cuz it ain't there. we'll wait. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 98
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    seankill said:
    Going to be a great phone but I am too attached to the headphone jack to upgrade this generation. I'll let things play out for a year and upgrade my iPhone 6+. 

The camera is the only thing that really tempts me to upgrade. Sure, it is faster the iP6+ is still good enough. Cheaper anyway.
    You do know that there's an adapter in the box and you can still use your current mini-plug earphones, right?  Not to mention that there's also a pair of Apple earphones in the box with the new plug.

I really don't understand why the media and many people don't get that you can still use your old earphones.    But I guess it shouldn't surprise me since this is how people deal with political issues today:  they listen to the memes instead of finding out actual facts. 

For me, there is one issue:  by using the same jack for power and earphones (assuming you don't use wireless), one can be greatly increasing the number of insertions on the Lightning jack.   On previous iPhones, that was a point of failure for me.    Also, if you use a wired connection via mini plug to an aux input in a car, you can't charge the phone at the same time.  
  • Reply 46 of 98
    One question I have is with the Jet black model if you're on the upgrade program will fine micro abrasions or small scratches be tolerated when you turn in your phone to Apple. Or is Apple going to penalize you for not using a case?  Because it's not a question of if you get scratches.....you will. Guaranteed.
    mmm, delicious FUD you've prepared this morning. 
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 98
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    See comments from T-Mobile. Analysts are idiots and lemmings. 4x sales at T-Mobile says nobody cares about the 3.5mm jack.
    anantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 98

schlack said:
    So many people talk about this being an incremental iPhone update. I really don't see it that way. Between the massive performance gains, the wide-color stuff, water resistance, improved battery life, better speakers, new finishes, it feels like a full update for me. Must a phone be completely redesigned every two years in order for it to be considered a real update???
    the thing is, it is an incremental improvement. they all are. the fact of that isn't a bad thing and doesn't matter...only the misguided or intentional trolls say otherwise. iterative improvement -- this is how Apple rolls. always has been. 
    edited September 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 98
    letsride said:
    Bluetooth is nice, but so is a headphone jack. without buying something I can not listen to wired headphones and charge my phone. I do interact with people much at work, and listen to headphones 70% of the work day.

My typical day in relation to headphones:
    Go to gym, use bluetooth headphones, go to work, iphone battery about 80% at beginning of day.
    plug in headphones, and charge phone, listen to headphones most of the day.
    Any home chores like mowing the lawn are bluetooth headphones
    go to bed, listen to audio book - fall asleep. (Have you ever fallen asleep listening to Bluetooth headphones? when the battery runs out it beeps and you think your house is on fire.)
    So if Im not charging my phone over night, or at work, when am i charging it? I guess Ill have to buy a dock. (or wait a year and see if the jack comes back)

I hope the Air pods sound better than the wired apple provided headphones - not that I am likely to buy them at $160 anyway. Im also not sure about the completely un-wired headphones, It just gives me another opportunity to lose one.

The W1 chip does sound interesting, but if it stays proprietary there will never be inexpensive alternatives to beats/apple. I look forward to seeing what advantages the new technology has, but I am skeptical.

downvoted for suggesting there won't be inexpensive wireless options -- the iPhone still uses Bluetooth and you can use any cheapies you want. even if W1 remains an apple exclusive so what, they built it. the future BT specs will likely copy it anyway. 
    ration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 98
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    It does have a 'headphone jack' it's just a digital one instead of the old analog one plus it has bluetooth for wireless not to mention an adapter you can leave attached to your old analog earbuds or headphones.  What on earth is the problem? I though I'd opened MacRumors here by mistake!
    edited September 2016 waverboypscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 98
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

schlack said:
    So many people talk about this being an incremental iPhone update. I really don't see it that way. Between the massive performance gains, the wide-color stuff, water resistance, improved battery life, better speakers, new finishes, it feels like a full update for me. Must a phone be completely redesigned every two years in order for it to be considered a real update???
    For the Press and most people, yes.   Because details and tech specs are "difficult" and just looking is easy.   So if Apple released it in a polka-dot case or in a totally new form factor, then it would be perceived as a full update.   In the general press, there were some notions of slightly better images and they talked about the black finish (although usually negatively) and complained about the lack of the mini phone jack, but almost no one spoke about all the other improvements that you defined because they're not immediately visible and it requires a little bit of work to understand them all.    

The Press will claim that there hasn't been innovation in the iPhone almost since the originals were released.   When I bought the iPhone 3G, it seemed like a miracle to me.  But when I look at it now (I was using it as a TV remote for awhile), it seems almost unusable because of all the improvements to performance, screen size, video, etc. since then.   I think many of the improvements can only be understood in retrospect. 

We've also been spoiled by innovation.   Imagine if ten years ago (before the iPhone was released) if a manufacturer other than Apple released a device that looks exactly like today's iPhone, but did nothing but take stills, video and enabled upload to Facebook and other social media sites.   That would have seemed miraculous at the time.  Now, each new individual improvement gets a "meh" reaction.    What Apple (and others) have been able to accomplish on small sensors in low light is incredible and there are circumstances when my iPhone actually outperforms my full-frame DSLR with $2000 lenses, even though that should be physically impossible.    
    pscooter63ration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 98
    TurboPGT said:
    lkrupp said:
    The biggest problem with the missing headphone jack is how it’s being presented in the media. The impression given in most of the articles is that users will no longer be able to use their current headphones and that they will be forced into buying expensive wireless headphones. The included adapter is never mentioned. The included Lightening earbuds are never mentioned despite the fact that the vast majority of users listen with the included earbuds and why we see those white cords hanging down all over the place. It almost seems like a misleading crusade to punish Apple.
    Not almost. A fair and balanced perspective is not what we're reading from lamestream tech blogs.
    Right, as opposed to the totally balanced view of an over zealous Apple fanboy site with posters whose bulk of savings and future economic security are tied to AAPL? Ok. By the way I do think outside of charging + listening the whole headphone jack missing isn't a big deal... however don't think that wireless headphones solve it (but the adapter is fine, if not mildly annoying). AirPods are not going to cut the audio quality needed, and annoying dropout issues occur constantly (I have dozens of pairs of wired and wireless headphones from cheap to the most expensive that represent over $5000 spent on headphones... so a pretty good test lab).

I would like to know what would have Apple had to give up if they had kept the jack there... more just curious
  • Reply 53 of 98
    I am not a fan of not including the headphone jack. Waterproofing is not a valid excuse. They managed it with the Lightning connector, they can do it with the headphone jack. I use my headphone jack every day and regularly switch between my earphones plugged into my MacBook Pro, PC, iPhone, and iPad. If I upgrade to the iPhone 7, I'll have to use the adaptor, which would be a minor hassle, except that my vehicle only uses Bluetooth for phone calls. I have to use the headphone jack for audio playback. I use the Lightning connector for charging. So, if I upgrade, I have to buy a bulky adaptor and still plug in the Apple adaptor to playback audio while charging my phone in my car, and I have to use an adaptor throughout the day to use my phone in my workflow. The alternative that Apple offers is to buy $160 Bluetooth earphones that will only automatically switch between my Apple devices, and only have ~4 hours of battery life. Here's a newsflash, just because a tool or technology is relatively old, doesn't make it obsolete. In fact, if a technology lasts for 100 years or more, it's probably because it works really well and serves a very useful purpose. That doesn't mean stop innovation, just give us a few options. Apple could have easily kept the headphone jack and still hyped their new Airpods and Beats products. I was considering upgrading, but I think I'll wait. Maybe someone will make a case that has a headphone jack.
    troll garbage but let me break it down anyway. you conveniently omitted that the extra volume gained by ditching the big audio jack enabled them to put in more battery and a better camera with OIS, in addition to the water sealing. 

then in you ding Apple because you have some lame car BT unit that can do calls but not audio? pfft.

then you get the battery life of the AirPods wrong and omit the battery case with quick charge feature. 

it takes a lot of work to spread so much FUD. 
    edited September 2016 ration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 98
    I don't mind them moving forward with removal of the head phone jack.  They have included the adapter to analog.  I think they missed by not including a modified y-type charging cord.  I charge and listen a lot at the same time.  I personally use this scenario using car charger, home charger and portable external battery charger.  I have a 5S and Apple Watch.  I actively manage what I can, especially phone brightness to extend my battery usage.  I really don't want to have to buy a huge third party dongle like the one that belkin is selling.

All those out there that keep saying we are such a small user base scenario, may find yourselves in our situation and until then don't understand it until u experience it.
  • Reply 55 of 98
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    The only time I use the 3.5mm jack is with my high end noise cancelling headphones while flying so the supplied adaptor will work fine. I'll probably buy one of those Belkin Lightning splinters because while traveling I do try to pick up a charge wherever possible, which is often at the gate or on the flight where I am usually listening to music or talking on the phone with earbuds, at the same time. Lack of an analogue audio jack is not really a deal breaker for me even though I am one of those people who occasionally wants to listen and charge at the same time because a simple third party adaptor solves the problem. I'm looking forward to all the new advancements that iPhone 7 brings.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 98
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Andmar said:
    You're so stuck in the past. Who cares about the audio jack? Get yourself a bluetooth headset or use the adapter. I am with Apple on this one.
    Let's see, Apple included a $29 wired headset, and a $9 wired 3.5mm adapter in the box, for use with wired headphones.

I suppose if they had included a set of AirPods in the box, or even a wireless BT adapter for a pair of 3.5mm EarPods, you'd have a point. But Apple's message out of the box seems to be that wires are good enough, just evidently not the ones people have been using.
    edited September 2016 rogifan_new
  • Reply 57 of 98
    Apple could have (and absolutely should have) included a charger with passthrough audio in the form of another lightning port built into the end plug.  Then there would have been zero legitimate reason for whiners and zero anti-Apple ammo for the tech press.
  • Reply 58 of 98
    thrang said:
    So for the few percent of people that listen to 10 hours of music straight a day, or will be switching their ear buds among several devices constantly, I suppose there is some legitimate agitation. Just like there were a few percent of people who lamented the loss of floppy and CD media. But this is no reason to delay progress.
    While agree with everything else you said, i do not agree with the conclusion: moving out the jack to an adapter is not progress.
    And has nothing to do with the loss of floppy or CD media. In both case, it was a natural evolution, following the simple fact that floppies and CDs did not correspond
    any more to the needs. USB stick and external disks took their place. USB  is a standard, fits better the needs, and the whole market moved to it.

Being a Sennheiser user you know very well that 99.9% of the medium-end and high-end headphones and earpods use jack for the connection; i.e. a standard connection for an analogue signal that is completely adequate to the need; the market is not moving away from analogue connections. All the music you listen is made with analogue connections at the source, even for digital instruments and effects.

Lightning is not a standard analogue connection, you cannot use it even for your Mac, and  not on any other equipment. Is proprietary, and do not fits the needs.
    USB C is standard, and it may eventually happens, but leave out all the equipment that is not digital.

Bluetooth is a standard connection, but the high end audio market is just not taking up Bluetooth as a standard connection, because most of the "other" use of an headphone do not require a wireless connection.
    There is no economic reasons for companies like Sennheiser, Audio Technica, Shure, to move to Bluetooth, adding the cost a receiver and that of a good DAC system for products that already cost a significant fraction of the cost of a iPhone.

So, no, Apple did not killed the analogue jack, it just moved out the jack to an adapter. This is not progress, it is just a nuisance, even if minor.

Maurizio
  • Reply 59 of 98
    luvappl said:
    TurboPGT said:
    lkrupp said:
    The biggest problem with the missing headphone jack is how it’s being presented in the media. The impression given in most of the articles is that users will no longer be able to use their current headphones and that they will be forced into buying expensive wireless headphones. The included adapter is never mentioned. The included Lightening earbuds are never mentioned despite the fact that the vast majority of users listen with the included earbuds and why we see those white cords hanging down all over the place. It almost seems like a misleading crusade to punish Apple.
    Not almost. A fair and balanced perspective is not what we're reading from lamestream tech blogs.
    Right, as opposed to the totally balanced view of an over zealous Apple fanboy site with posters whose bulk of savings and future economic security are tied to AAPL? Ok. By the way I do think outside of charging + listening the whole headphone jack missing isn't a big deal... however don't think that wireless headphones solve it (but the adapter is fine, if not mildly annoying). AirPods are not going to cut the audio quality needed, and annoying dropout issues occur constantly (I have dozens of pairs of wired and wireless headphones from cheap to the most expensive that represent over $5000 spent on headphones... so a pretty good test lab).

I would like to know what would have Apple had to give up if they had kept the jack there... more just curious
    still trolling with every post, I see! nice work -- you get the New Troll of the Week award!

id bet most fans here do not own stock or have anything remotely like economic security tied to Apple. 

also you're completely full of shit on AirPods since you've never used them -- you're suggesting your crappy BT headphones are the same thing, but they aren't. 

cant wait until next month when you've lost interest and gone away. 
    edited September 2016 ration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 98
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    Maybe I am the only AppleInsider reader that really will miss the head phone jack.  I have a rather old car where the radio has no bluetooth connection but it has an audio connector.  So yes I am almost daily listening to music on my iPhone6 using the head phone jack while simultaneously recharge the battery using the car cigarette lighter.   Si I'll wait to upgrade