Apple launches iOS 10, tvOS 10 & watchOS 3

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59

The problems updating iOS that many are reporting seem odd...

On the first developer beta release of iOS 10, I updated an older, spare iPhone through ipsw* dload and iTunes. It worked fine. 

The developer site recommended that you dload this installer (I forget what it's called) to the iPhone and install OTA. **

So I did that on my regular iPhone & iPads -- that worked fine too (you had to have Xcode 8 installed to install OTA).

For all the subsequent betas, I did the OTA updates -- much faster/easier than dload/iTunes).  AIR, there were a couple of times where I had to restart the install -- but it never bricked the iDevice and I never had to install thru iTunes.

IDK why so many are having problems, but I can say iOS 10 is a great OS, and the betas were cleaner than any prior iOS versions.

* when I typed ipsw it code-completed as ripsaw -- maybe code-completion knows something 

** I always backup any critical iDevice before any iOS update (OTA or iTunes)

edited September 2016
  • Reply 42 of 59
    Got iOS10 down fine for iPad Air and iPhone 6s+, but I can't get WatchOS 3. Still says 2.2.2 is the current version... I am guessing they are prioritizing downloads and managing server demand?
  • Reply 43 of 59
    Yay - I'm all fixed up now, 6s connected via iTunes, took a while to d/l but it's all done and updated.
  • Reply 44 of 59
    I had the beta public version and today whwn I tried to update I couldn´t do it, apparently I have the software update last week. It is version 10.0.1
  • Reply 45 of 59
    volcan said:
    No more "Slide to Unlock" now it says "Press Home to Open"
    That's a feature, not a bug.

It actually makes more sense for TouchID devices, since I (and many others) usually press the Home button to wake the screen anyway.
  • Reply 46 of 59
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Wow, the worst iOS update ever. The lock screen and notifications are absolutely horrible. The god damn white is everywhere. Complete lack of style. They killed touch ID, you now must press the home button to get to the phone, completely obliterating what one was as useful feature, and completely negating the point of touch ID hardware. The control center is now multi screen, instead of allowing us to put there what we find important, let's clutter it with useless shit instead.The health app is now useless, you must search to manually enter a statistic, the old home screen is gone, and you cannot view aggregate statistics of favorite metrics on any period but a single day. Honestly, innovation is now new emoticons for messaging app.

How do they manage to always destroy features and make their software less useful with each iteration is really amazing. This is honestly really sad and pathetic.

iPhone used to be useful and beautiful peace of hardware, and corporate idiots managed to destroy that legacy in just a few years.
  • Reply 47 of 59
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    volcan said:

It actually makes more sense for TouchID devices, since I (and many others) usually press the Home button to wake the screen anyway.
    Except you now have to press it 3 times. You press it once to wake the device up. Press it again to scan the finger. Then press again to "open" it. Real innovation there.
  • Reply 48 of 59
    taddtadd Posts: 136member
    Is anybody having trouble with the keyboard locking up? I am having difficulty typing and editing in the AppleInsider app comment field. The keyboard locked up. I hit done and then put back into the edit window. And resume typing. It won't let me go back and edit in earlier word. Siri dictation being inaccurate, means that I can't get good text because I can't go back and edit
  • Reply 49 of 59
    mario said:
    volcan said:

Except you now have to press it 3 times. You press it once to wake the device up. Press it again to scan the finger. Then press again to "open" it. Real innovation there.
    Uh, no you don't. Press it once and keep your finger on it, and you're at the home screen. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 59
    I did my iphone 6s at work, through itunes, updated itunes first, then waited 2 hours for the 2.1gb update. My phone would not turn on after it was installing, then i did a hard reset power and home button, and then it installed and is running fine. I will try ipads OTA when I get home, and hope watch does it automatically at night.
  • Reply 51 of 59
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    volcan said:

I've been testing it for several hours and I hate it.  One improvement is that Apple Pay launch only happens within range of a terminal, but opening the phone with Touch ID is totally hosed.
  • Reply 52 of 59
    Can't post App Store reviews. Keep getting pre-release version error. 

Any one else having this issue?
  • Reply 53 of 59
    Mail is jacked up. Previous messages just loading, loading, loading never display even when I have already read them but now can't access them. Happens with all email accounts not just iCloud.
  • Reply 54 of 59
    volcan said:
    volcan said:

I've been testing it for several hours and I hate it.  One improvement is that Apple Pay launch only happens within range of a terminal, but opening the phone with Touch ID is totally hosed.
    You're testing it wrong, or there's something wrong with your iPhone. I just practiced with it for like 30 seconds and it works consistently for me.

From the locked/off screen: Press once but continue to rest your finger (NOT pressing) on the home button after it wakes and TouchID unlocks it and takes you to the home screen. Double click and either rest or don't rest your finger, and Apple Pay launches. Not sure you think it only happens within range of a terminal, I'm not anywhere near one and it launches every time with a double press.

If you wake your phone with the power button THEN rest your finger without pressing the home button, it will unlock but not take you to the home screen. Is that what you're doing?

If you're pressing and continuing to hold, I believe it should launch Siri but I have that and control center disabled on the lock screen for security, so it does nothing on mine until I stop depressing or release the home button, at which point it takes me to the home screen. This is admittedly a bit odd but I've also disabled the normal behavior (so a thief can't put it in airplane mode via Siri/CC).

EDIT: this is a much more thorough explanation of how locking/unlocking and TouchID functions in iOS 10 (and ways to make it more iOS 9y if that's your thing):
    https://www.macstories.net/stories/ios-10-the-macstories-review/3/
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 55 of 59

I did my iphone 6s at work, through itunes, updated itunes first, then waited 2 hours for the 2.1gb update. My phone would not turn on after it was installing, then i did a hard reset power and home button, and then it installed and is running fine. I will try ipads OTA when I get home, and hope watch does it automatically at night.
    The Watch update is not automatic, nor was it very fast — it was by far the slowest of my updates. So put it on its charger and start the update process when you go to bed.
  • Reply 56 of 59
    Contacts completely frozen. Can't dial, can't access voicemail, recents, nothing. Everything is broken.
    Edit: powered down and rebooted. Now things are working.

edited September 2016
  • Reply 57 of 59
    Zero problems updating to iOS10 on iPhone6+ through iTunes. 2.47Gb and was pretty fast.

Many impressive updates and new features, particularly to Photos with locations and facial groupings.
  • Reply 58 of 59
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    tadd said:
    Is there anybody that can report success updating an iPhone 6s over the air?
    Or a failure updating an iPhone 6 over the air?
    iPhone 6S (128GB) works for me.
  • Reply 59 of 59
    macxpress said:
    lymf said:
    The speed wasn't an issue here.. 8 mb per second, which is pretty much the limit of my connection (around 64MB). Did they improve their network?
    They've continued to build out their CDN as of late, so I'd imagine things should continue to improve. 

It'll never be as bad as the iPhone 3G release date, when Apple dropped iPhone OS 2.0 the same day...
    They could have released iOS, watchOS, and macOS on the same day. I'm sure there's a very good reason macOS is being released next week instead of today or later this week. 
    OSX/macOS seem to fall into the 5 to 6GB update size.  I think it's best to let the servers handles all the IOS stuff first.  I would also guess a significantly larger IOS upgrade base versus OSX/macOS.