Apple iWork suite with real-time collaboration tools released for iPhone, iPad

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2020
Alongside the iOS, watchOS, tvOS, and iTunes update, Apple has also released the iOS version of the iWork suite, now with cross-platform collaboration features.
The collaborative editing feature revealed for iWork at the "See You on Sept 7." event is still in beta, and syncs document changes across devices in real-time. Document editors can easily distinguish who is modifying a spreadsheet, word processing file or presentation based on user color-coding. The addition arrives as a competitor to existing productivity software suites including the web-based Google Docs and Microsoft's Office 365, both of which have boasted collaboration features for years. The feature is reminiscent of long-time collaborative macOS text editor SubEthaEdit, by the Coding Monkeys available since 2003. Other listed changes include improvements to display on the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, improved iCloud downloading, and support for Wide Color displays. The new iWork collaboration feature is now available for iOS devices. A Mac version will arrive with macOS Sierra on or around Sept. 20. Windows users can contribute in a browser version of iWork. All three iWork applications cost $10 each, but have been included with new iOS devices for some time. All three apps require iOS 10. Numbers is a 407 MB download, with Pages coming in at 430 MB, and Keynote hitting 645 MB.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    So they still haven't returned all the features they killed when they back-ported iWork from iOS to Mac OS...?
    command_f
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dysamoria said:
    So they still haven't returned all the features they killed when they back-ported iWork from iOS to Mac OS...?
    "We're gettin' there..."
    applepieguyairbubble
  • Reply 3 of 7
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    So I have to pay $30 if upgrade to macOS Sierra?  
  • Reply 4 of 7
    tzeshan said:
    So I have to pay $30 if upgrade to macOS Sierra?  
    So far, if you already have iWork, getting the next major version has been free. If you don't have an older version already, then you'd have to pay.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Poor article. Apple's web-to-web iWork collaboration works fine and has since release. The problem was web-to-native collaboration which took a while to sync and often resulted in collisions - just like MS & Google (when they're even available).

With realtime collaboration across web/desktop/touch iWork Apps Apple are not catching up but are well ahead of the pack.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    mcdave said:
    Poor article. Apple's web-to-web iWork collaboration works fine and has since release. The problem was web-to-native collaboration which took a while to sync and often resulted in collisions - just like MS & Google (when they're even available).

With realtime collaboration across web/desktop/touch iWork Apps Apple are not catching up but are well ahead of the pack.
    If Numbers would reach the ankles of Excel in terms of functionality, I would consider to use iWork.     Sadly Numbers remains an extremely poor spreadsheet program, that does not even match the features of Lotus 1-2-3 25 years ago

• Reply 7 of 7
    dysamoria said:
    The collaboration features are good to have but they sort of presuppose that the rest of the tool is capable enough to support the complex projects that need them. And honestly, they aren't really. The tools are fine for simple projects but I imagine any professional team-based work will easily justify the cost of something more advanced.

Some of those features were indeed present in the previous generation of iWork. My experience is mostly with Pages where the removal of double-page spread and linked text boxes is likely to push those creating substantial documents elsewhere. I personally dislike MS Word but I can see why so many people use it :-(