Apple CEO Tim Cook to appear on 'Good Morning America,' says AirPods stay put during exercise

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2016
In an exclusive interview set to air Wednesday, Apple CEO Tim Cook goes one-on-one with Robin Roberts of ABC's "Good Morning America" to discuss a wide variety of topics including last week's product announcements.

ABC posted a short promotional clip of the full interview online on Tuesday (via Yahoo), strangely opting to focus on consumer fears that Apple's new AirPods wireless headphones might fall out of users' ears during strenuous exercise.

Roberts told Cook that ABC News correspondent and former professional football player Michael Strahan was convinced he would lose his pair of AirPods in short order, but the Apple chief quickly assuaged those concerns.

"I've been on treadmills, walking, doing all the things you normally do," Cook said. "You know how you walk around with the earbuds and they're constantly getting caught on something? You never have that problem."

Further, Cook notes AirPods' lack of wires cuts down on weight that commonly dislodges earbuds with cables.

The interview, taped at a school in Harlem in New York City, is thought to be one of the first Cook granted after unveiling a slew of new products at a special event in San Francisco last week. Considering the setting, Cook might also talk about Apple's ongoing education program.

At the iPhone 7 event, Cook detailed progress on Apple's contribution to the White House's ConnectED initiative, noting that 4,500 teachers at 114 partner schools in the U.S. will receive Mac, iPad and Apple TV hardware this fall. The company is also donating 50,000 iPads to students.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Those air pods are set to be a big winner for Apple, so glad they will work well with other OS!
  • Reply 2 of 25
    My guess is a big focus will be their involvement in ConnectED, hence the school setting. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Man if that is true about the AirPods, I am SO in. Will get a pair for running. Can't wait!
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Of course they won't come out when exercising.  Apple wouldn't release them if that were the case.
    perkedelcintoswatto_cobracali
  • Reply 5 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Yet another red herring straw man claim by the haters bites the dust. Wireless earbuds have been around for some time before the Apple’s AirPods and I don’t know of any reports about them falling out easily. But that’s all we heard when the AirPods were announced. The dutiful troll army here on AI repeated the claim instantly, anything to put doubt into user’s minds and poo-poo the removal of the headphone jack. Reviewers are finding the reverse is true and once again the coordinated attempts to discredit Apple have blown up in the faces of the haters, just like Samsung batteries.
    ration alwatto_cobracalinolamacguypatchythepirate
  • Reply 6 of 25
    In the future, it would be cool if Apple made and released nose pods.

You'd put one in each nostril and they would wirelessly communicate with your iOS device. 

Games and movies could be updated to provide a truly immersive experience and environment. It's not just about sound and video, smell is also an important sense. You might be able to smell a monster in a game, before you even see them on screen.

What if you're watching the Food channel, then why not smell the dish? Why just see it? 

And I'm not talking about some gimmick, I'm talking about the actual real smell of the object, because it could be "sampled" and you would be able to play back the smell that was captured, kind of like how sound and video can be digitally captured today.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Some people...such as myself...simply have ears that are not shaped in a way that prevents earbuds from falling out.

I have never found a pair of earbuds that would remain secure in my ears without some sort of rubber "wing" that holds it in place. Regular earbuds of any brand simply fall out because I don't have a little lip on the bottom of my ear (it's flat), therefore there is nothing to secure it in place.

It's no big deal as I just find a pair that is compatible with my ear shape such as the Bose ear buds.
    anantksundaramvince_jtmobiusappledappledachar
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Not all ears are created equal. I'll have to see if it fits me.
    anantksundaramvince_jtmobiusjetpilot
  • Reply 9 of 25
    That shirt she's wearing provoked the look on his face
  • Reply 10 of 25
    The EarPods don't stay put in my ears, they drop out.  I'm talking about one's with cords obviously, but the pod design on wireless is clearly the same except for that.
    mobiusjetpilot
  • Reply 11 of 25
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    i am glad it is not "bone conduction" type.  thanks God.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Why does Tim Cook need to do this interview?  Is there no one else that can speak good things the right way?

I'm more than fed up with Tim Cook using our shareholder money so that he can rub elbows with celebrities; as he thinks he is a celebrity himself.

On on top of that I'm quite sure what Michael Strahan calls a workout is quite different than what Silicon Valley executives do at their country clubs Mr Cook.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    I think Tim Cooks look says," if you ask me one more question about not having that headphone jack, I'm going to bite someone's ears off." Btw, my ears are like some here, where Apples earbuds don't fit properly. I have both the red and black of these Sony's. http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sony-sony-extra-bass-in-ear-headphones-mdrxb50apr-red-mdrxb50apr/10291084.aspx?path=35ea45831891c11be776533c13734d6aen02
  • Reply 14 of 25
    I've never understood why people put down things before actually trying it themselves. That being said, I've never been able to keep the earpods in my ears either but I will try the new wireless airpods to see if they work any better before I place premature judgements on them.
    kevin keewatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 25
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    jetpilot said:
    Some people...such as myself...simply have ears that are not shaped in a way that prevents earbuds from falling out.

I have never found a pair of earbuds that would remain secure in my ears without some sort of rubber "wing" that holds it in place. Regular earbuds of any brand simply fall out because I don't have a little lip on the bottom of my ear (it's flat), therefore there is nothing to secure it in place.

It's no big deal as I just find a pair that is compatible with my ear shape such as the Bose ear buds.

nolamacguySpamSandwich
  • Reply 16 of 25
    I am sorry but I do not believe a word Tim Cook says. Those AirPods appear to have the same shape as the EarPods. The EarPods do not fit in my ear securely. It pops out all the time without help from snagging cords. Once again, to improve their margins, all Apple did was recycle the EarPod design without the wires. $159 for those AirPods is insane. They should be free. Apple is forcing this change on us.  All I  will be seeing in the future is people walking around with one AirPod in their ear looking for the other AirPod like we look for our missing sock, Nothing innovative here.
    singularity
  • Reply 17 of 25
    I am sorry but I do not believe a word Tim Cook says. Those AirPods appear to have the same shape as the EarPods. The EarPods do not fit in my ear securely. It pops out all the time without help from snagging cords. Once again, to improve their margins, all Apple did was recycle the EarPod design without the wires. $159 for those AirPods is insane. They should be free. Apple is forcing this change on us.  All I  will be seeing in the future is people walking around with one AirPod in their ear looking for the other AirPod like we look for our missing sock, Nothing innovative here.
    first of you're full of shit with the innovation remark. troll trope nonsense.  second, not all ears are the same and just because these were made for most people doesn't mean they suck for not working with yours. third, the price is very mid. fourth, change happens, so stop whining like a small child. 
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 18 of 25
    bobroo said:
    Why does Tim Cook need to do this interview?  Is there no one else that can speak good things the right way?

I'm more than fed up with Tim Cook using our shareholder money so that he can rub elbows with celebrities; as he thinks he is a celebrity himself.

On on top of that I'm quite sure what Michael Strahan calls a workout is quite different than what Silicon Valley executives do at their country clubs Mr Cook.
    I remember John Sculley doing interviews / product demos on GMA when Plaintalk and the 68040 AV Macs came out in the early 90s. I'm sure this interview felt as phony now as that did then.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    So "walking" is considered "strenuous exercise"?
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Honest question: What makes these so much better than the now-common sub-$50 wireless earbuds that I'm seeing on Amazon?