Adobe Lightroom for mobile update brings RAW image capture to iOS 10

Posted:
in iPhone
Adobe on Tuesday released an updated version of Lightroom for iOS with support for its DNG fie format, allowing iOS 10 devices to both capture and edit pictures as part of an end-to-end RAW workflow.

With Lightroom for mobile version 2.5, owners of Apple portables with 12-megapixel cameras -- iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, iPhone SE, 9.7-inch iPad Pro and the recently announced iPhone 7 and 7 Plus -- can capture RAW digital files directly from Adobe's app.

As explained in a post to Adobe's Lightroom blog, RAW file formats like DNG contain all image information from a camera's sensor to deliver higher quality results than compressed JPEG files. In addition, with all sensor information left intact, photographers are able to edit their images without worrying about compression artifacts.

Alongside the new RAW format capabilities, Lightroom for iOS 2.5 delivers support for the DCI-P3 wide color gamut display Apple first introduced in the 9.7-inch iPad Pro. The same standard, which presents 25 percent more color than the legacy sRGB color space, is also included in the upcoming iPhone 7 and 7 Plus.

While version 2.5 does not include full in-app camera support for iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, Adobe is working to profile the forthcoming handsets' sensors and lenses for a near future update.

Adobe Lightroom for Mobile version 2.5 is available for free on iPhone and iPad from the iOS App Store.
polymnia

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Very exciting news!

the Twin Cities a Lightroom User Group just happens to be meeting tomorrow night and the agenda is a hands-on demonstration of a mobile RAW workflow. 

We we truly live in the future.

I guess the haters who say Adobe is just socking away their profits from CC subscriptions with no added periodic benefits to subscribers will have to eat some crow. Adobe is here with an iOS RAW processor on day one of RAW capture capability with iOS devices.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Just did some quick edits of RAWs captured with my iPhone 6s. 

I'm amazed to see that virtually all the editing controls available in desktop are present in the iOS App. Quite good UI as well. Hint: drag up & down on the edit bar below the image to quickly change between what would have been edit tabs in the Desktop version. 

The RAWs captured on the iPhone 6s are quite inferior to what I'd get on my full-frame Nikon, even my 4/3 GX7. Still, there is clearly a lot of potential for more radical creative processing than emailing yourself a jpg and photoshopping in the Desktop. 

+1 Adobe
  • Reply 3 of 3
    edited September 2016