Matte black iPhone 7 undergoes brutal scratch, bend test in new video

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    but we would take the dubious assumptions drawn from JerryRigEverything's Mohs scale testing anyone who disagrees that Apple products are perfections of holiness designed and manufactured by Gods with a grain of salt.

Fixed that for Apple Insider readers.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Soli said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    I think his scratch tests are fair. Not sure how those are a lie. Nice to see it's the same scratch resistance display material as last year, and not the softer GG5. It was also interesting to see the camera lens no longer being sapphire. The Home Button was expected since it's part of the display component, now, but I would have assumed the lens cover would still be sapphire.
    He could easily used the wrong test stick. I've got a set too, and mine are differentiated by color and number. Who knows? Maybe he used the wrong one deliberately. There is no way to believe that Apple is lying when they state that both the lens covers and button are sapphire.
    You think Apple is using Sapphire on the Home Button, not simply cutting a recess into a single piece of alkali-aluminosilicate sheet glass?

edit: The iFixit teardown shows it's a separate component.

They say it's sapphire. They want it to be as hard as possible. If it gets scratched even by a small bit, the readings won't be as accurate, or consistent. That scratch will be read all the time. The problem is that even if we register a print with a scratched sensor, then when we put our finger on the screen at very slightly different angles, or a slightly different part of our finger, then it won't read, because the scratch will have been read as part of our print.

but, just as bad is that when registering the print, and we tap our finger down to do it numerous times, as we must, to get the entire print, the scratch will come up in different parts of the print, and may not allow us to even register a print.

i'm sure that if Apple could have found an inexpensive enough way to have diamond on the sensor, they would have done that.
  • Reply 23 of 29

Not sure why this article is pretending iPhone 6's don't bend. They definitively do, and just from normal carry in a pocket or purse. My girlfriend's iPhone 6 had a dying charging port, and when I took the phone out of its otter box so I could so I could go through the rather pain in the rectum process to replace the assembly, I noticed it had a slight but clear bend right at the bottom of the volume buttons, with a ripple in the thin metal making a bump next to the bottom button. This is a normal iPhone 6, mind you, not the 6+, and she carried it in her purse, in a sturdy case. Now, this bend in no way affected any function of the phone, but it clearly isn't imaginary. Other thin aluminum phones also permanently bend, so it's not an issue exclusive to Apple's phones. It's time to stop claiming it's not real. Too many people have had their phones bend in their pockets for it to be some made up thing. It does appear that the 7 returns to shape pretty well after being flexed, which is good. Perhaps there's new reinforcement, or the aluminum has been heat treated in a way that allows flex without permanent bending, like in a lock bar of an aluminum framed folding knife. Regardless, it looks like it'll hold up better than the 6, which is nice. I personally wouldn't buy a phone that doesn't have a 3.5mm jack, at this point in time. I use mine daily at work, to hook my phone up to our work van's radio, which lacks bluetooth, and to a stereo there to listen to music and such. I know you can use an adapter, but increased wear and tear sucks. I mean, my girlfriend's charging port on her 6 died *without* double use as a headphone jack. In the future when everything is actually wireless, it won't be much of an issue, but right now, it seems premature. And again, this isn't exclusively an Apple design choice. A couple of Android phones did it to achieve very thin phones before the 7 was released. I wouldn't currently buy one of those phones yet either. Another odd little issue an acquaintence of mine is about to have is that she uses a credit card reader for her business with her iPhone, and it uses the headphone jack. Her phone plan automatically upgrades her to the newest iPhone, so she' not exactly sure what she's doing about it yet. Presumably new readers will be released, but there's no current solution for her to use one with the 7 she's about to receive. I suggested she get a cheap android prepaid and use that in the mean time.
    There hasn't been a single report of bending 6's. The S series is much stronger, as you should know, and there's no doubt that the 7 series is as least as strong. There has been nothing about the 6S bending.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    luvappl said:
    but we would take the dubious assumptions drawn from JerryRigEverything's Mohs scale testing anyone who disagrees that Apple products are perfections of holiness designed and manufactured by Gods with a grain of salt.

Fixed that for Apple Insider readers.
    I don't think you get it. Nice that you are here just to troll. Don't continue it or you're gone.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 25 of 29
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    I think his scratch tests are fair. Not sure how those are a lie. Nice to see it's the same scratch resistance display material as last year, and not the softer GG5. It was also interesting to see the camera lens no longer being sapphire. The Home Button was expected since it's part of the display component, now, but I would have assumed the lens cover would still be sapphire.
    He could easily used the wrong test stick. I've got a set too, and mine are differentiated by color and number. Who knows? Maybe he used the wrong one deliberately. There is no way to believe that Apple is lying when they state that both the lens covers and button are sapphire.
    You think Apple is using Sapphire on the Home Button, not simply cutting a recess into a single piece of alkali-aluminosilicate sheet glass?

They say it's sapphire.
    Why would you make this claim and then post the source that backs up your point?
  • Reply 26 of 29
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    The lightning port on my iPhone 5 is still going strong in spite of being plugged into various chargers, multiple times daily.

That clown is looking to create a "problem" that won't exist.

I don't plug headphones in much anyway, I've got powerbeats2 and beats studio2 which pair with my new black 256GB iPhone 7, my car has bluetooth.

I have also been using docks for music playback for years without 30 pin & lightning ports "wearing out".
  • Reply 27 of 29
    hill60 said:
    I have also been using docks for music playback for years without 30 pin & lightning ports "wearing out".
    Have you used the iPhone 6, etc. dock? The Apple one, rather. Does it feel flimsy? What about third party ones?
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Soli said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:

They say it's sapphire.
    Why would you make this claim and then post the source that backs up your point?
    You mean, why wouldn't I post the source.

they've always said it's sapphire. But it's not on the website. So where can I show it to you. I'm not going to look through all of the video over several years just to find that bit.

but here an article on Apple's site from 2015.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204587
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 29 of 29
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:

They say it's sapphire.
    You mean, why wouldn't I post the source.

the source is Apple's website, which you could have checked yourself. I'm taking the text about the camera tech details and posting it here. Please read all of it.

Wide-angle: ƒ/1.8 aperture
    Telephoto: ƒ/2.8 aperture

Digital zoom up to 5x
    Optical zoom at 2x; digital zoom up to 10x

Both models:

• Optical image stabilization
    • Six‑element lens
    • Quad-LED True Tone flash
    • Panorama (up to 63 megapixels)
    • Sapphire crystal lens cover
    • Backside illumination sensor
    • Hybrid IR filter
    • Autofocus with Focus Pixels
    • Tap to focus with Focus Pixels
    • Live Photos with stabilization
    • Wide color capture for photos and Live Photos
    • Improved local tone mapping
    • Body and face detection
    • Exposure control
    • Noise reduction
    • Auto HDR for photos
    • Auto image stabilization
    • Burst mode
    • Timer mode
    • Photo geotagging
    1) No, I'm not going to read all of it. I'd rather one would make a pointed argument, not through in pointless fluff to obfuscate the point.

2) I specifically ask you about the Home Button and you come back with a smarmy comment that I should have checked their website. :sigh: