Big shift: demand for dual-camera iPhone 7 Plus surges past standard iPhone 7

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    This is a lesson to me about predictions in this forum.

Remember back in the iPhone 5 days when many people here argued that Apple would NEVER make a "phablet" because it wouldn't fit in your pocket, you couldn't use it with one hand and holding it up to your ear would make you look foolish? Now the large model is outselling the "standard" size (noting, as did the author, that some sales of the standard size may also have been lost to the SE).

I'm glad things didn't turn out the way some contributors here predicted. Maybe this means there's hope for touchscreen Macs too! (Wink)
  • Reply 22 of 24
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    This is a lesson to me about predictions in this forum.

Remember back in the iPhone 5 days when many people here argued that Apple would NEVER make a "phablet" because it wouldn't fit in your pocket, you couldn't use it with one hand and holding it up to your ear would make you look foolish? Now the large model is outselling the "standard" size (noting, as did the author, that some sales of the standard size may also have been lost to the SE).

I'm glad things didn't turn out the way some contributors here predicted. Maybe this means there's hope for touchscreen Macs too! (Wink)
    You know the 5.5" models does fit in your pocket and can be used one-handed. Do you remember when Apple came out with a 3.5" iPhone and naysayers said it was a joke for being so big (among reasons why it was going to fall). When other vendors couldn't compete with Apple head on they moved to the larger display, which had a double benefit since the larger display means you can put more behind it.

Those devices gained traction and everyone know Apple would move to larger displays when the time was right for them. I with it had come a couple years earlier, but I also wanted that for the headphone jack being removed, the 30-pin connector being replaced, and the ODD being dumped. Note: Those were what I wanted to happen, not what I expected Apple to do simply because I had a want.

Those other devices weren't just big displays, but big and heavy devices. They also didn't work very well for many vendors because a big displays meant either reducing the pixel density or using a more powerful and power hungry GPU to powe the extra pixels, which almost always seemed to affect the UI performance.

Also keep in mind that the iPhone 4S weighed 4.9 ounces with a 3.5" display while the iPhone 6 weighed 4.5oz with a 4.7" display. Being first doens't matter when you're only rushing to achieve one bullet point on a spec sheet without considering how this will work for the entirety of the device. To get the same performance from that 4.7" display with a much higher resolution you need a better and faster SoC, which means more heat and more battery life. Could Apple have done it? Would it have been their best move? It's not looking that way.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,585member
    young said:
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    kevin kee said:
    I have question, is the dual-lens camera design on iPhone 7+ a proprietary trademark; or it is something that any company *cough*Samsung*cough* can legally copy?
    Dual-lens itself is not protectable. I'm not even sure their SW-based bokeh would be. Qualcomm is already on it, and I'm sure that others can find some previous usage of dual cameras in a phone. The FirePhone had four cameras just on the front, right?

Depends on the application, dual camera can be used to measure depth...
    As many people pointed out, dual camera has been used by many phone manufactures for more than 2-3 years. It is nothing new and SW (probably DSP based) based bokeh also been used by many vendors.  

One thing that I didn't see much company doing it (or talking about) are apple's use of dual camera to do zoom (blend of optical and digital zoom)... I felt that this is the single most important feature that I am missing from any mobile phone camera compare to point and shoot camera.  Maybe, they thought zooming is not as cool as some other features that they thought they could do with dual camera.
    Both the LG G5 and the newer LG V20 have a similar optical zoom/wide-angle function enabled by their dual camera system. But you are correct that it's hardly common.