Beats Solo3 Wireless headphones may have range up to 400 ft. or more

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    I know Apple said that all of these new Beats headphones have the W1 chip in them, but it didn't dawn on me until reading the description on Apple's site for some of these new headphones exactly what that means. I watched the whole keynote, but it still didn't sink in. With the W1, these beats headphones all do what the AirPods do with the single pairing and it works with all your devices. Easily switch between all devices, etc. So all of the feature hype they did for AirPods related to ease of use is pretty much supported across all their new headphones. Maybe everyone else got it, but damn that is sweet. I was just thinking cool, they will have good audio, a solid connection, long battery life... Didn't even think the rest applies. Need some wireless headphones for Christmas now to use on all my Apple devices. It would be kind of cool if they Added AppleTV support for non-disruptive watching. It uses my iCloud account too, so why not. :)
    Indeed. This needs some further advertising and awareness. 

I had hoped when Apple acquired Beats, they would have infused Beats with some advanced tech to make use with Apple products better, and just better quality overall. Glad to see this happening now. There is good money in the music accessories market, and Beats and Apple have a good opportunity to capture the majority value (just like in other markets...). 

The purchase of Beats is looking better everyday. 
  • Reply 22 of 23
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    kent909 said:
    I guess the article could say "may" work at up to 100 miles. Why did they just not get a pair and test them to see if they worked at 400 feet? Then they could say they "can" or "have" worked at up to 400 feet. 
    Because that would only prove that they got 400' reception in that scenario. 'May' and 'can' are used because there are few absolutes in RF energy and a lot of variables can effect distance and performance. 400' at line-of-sight, with no electrical interference is one thing. Through in some trees, a wall or two, interference from other BT devices, and who knows what range you'll get.

BT has had many many crap implementations, particularly from imported BT headphones. Turn your head one way or put the phone in the wrong pocket and headphone performance often goes in the toilet.

I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't and probably won't use AptX which is supposed to give better musical bandwidth that 'regular' BT does not. So for critical listening it's wired high-performance cans. But given so many people listen to music while active and out and about, actual bandwidth isn't as important as good consistent connectivity.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 23 of 23
    macgui said:

I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't and probably won't use AptX which is supposed to give better musical bandwidth that 'regular' BT does not. So for critical listening it's wired high-performance cans. But given so many people listen to music while active and out and about, actual bandwidth isn't as important as good consistent connectivity.
    Can't it do that by firmware update?