Black & Jet Black: Unboxing the new iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus with Lightning headphones

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    DCJ0001 said:
    Yes, we do. No, it will not.
    Same height, same width, same thickness… and only an ounce lighter. The only physical difference would be a hole in the case for the 3.5mm jack (which isn’t there) and the case consequently covering the second speaker.

Are you sure it doesn’t work?
    So, if the height, width and thickness are same it should work. I am using the Apple's Leather Case and not some other no-name party. If you look at Apple's leather case bottom, by the connector, the opening is width-wide. So maybe they were already thinking about the removal of 3.5 MM jack. The only concern now with the camera placement in the back and other button placement - I am hoping they are at the same place. $45 for a leather case is rather premium.
    I'd see if the camera hole isn't larger and moved in more from the edge over the previous models. The case may still work, but it also may not be aligned properly. Since it's just a case, shaving a little bit off an edge to still use it would seem better than not being able to use it at all, if it comes to that.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 22 of 39
    Will Apple ditch USB A and just put lightning on both ends of charging cables?
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 23 of 39
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mtznr said:
    Not likely. Expect a USB-C port on the PSU.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 24 of 39
    Soli said:
    Not likely. Expect a USB-C port on the PSU.
    And a $20 A-C adapter.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    I too miss the EarPods plastic case.  Used mine all the time.  It was a reasonably hygienic way of storing headphones, since you could coil up the wires without needing to touch the earbuds that just came out of your ears.  

Unfortunately it looks like the new AirPods are going to be much worse, requiring you to hold onto the earbuds while inserting them 'feet first' into the charging case.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    bbdroid said:
    a reasonably hygienic way of storing headphones
    If your ears aren’t clean enough to touch something that came out of them, they’re not clean enough for the thing you put in them. Grab a Q-tip, ignore the warning on the box, and get to it.
    chris v
  • Reply 27 of 39
    sockrolid said:
    Every time I unbox a new iPhone, it's like someone from the future brought it back in time,
    then forgot to take it with them when they returned to the future.
    Can't wait until late October to do it all over again.
    Those were my exact words back in 2007 as I gazed at my original iPhone with awe. It looked so radically different and functioned so intuitively that I thought it belonged five years in the future,  and somehow wound up in 2007. 

williamlondon
  • Reply 28 of 39
    bluefire1 said:
    Got my jet black iPhone 7 today--even went to pick it up at the carrier rather then wait for it to be delivered. It's gorgeous!
    Biggest decision was what clear case to get for it and decided on two: the Speck Presidio and Silk Innovation's PureView. 
    Now I just need to buy the 12 watt adapter for faster charging as well as Belkins upcoming Lightning + Audio Rockstar (http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F8J198/).

Pictures man, we want to see pictures of this gorgeous phone, especially with the clear case so you can always see that beautiful finish! :)

(that goes for everyone who gets a phone, pics are always welcome!)
  • Reply 29 of 39
    I love my Apple's iPhone 6s black leather case. Do we know if will work with iPhone 7?
    The iPhone 6s Plus case fits my iPhone 7 Plus physically, except that the camera cutout is not positioned properly so it's basically a no-go.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mtznr said:
    It sort of depends whether they put Lightning on the Mac or not. USB-C is not only a reversible connector, but also a reversible cable as more devices are native USB-C. I'm not sure why Apple wouldn't want the same thing, as it would certainly simplify the experience. Right now, USB-C is only compatible with one thing -- the rMB, and charger. Cars, planes, any charger a person is likely to find in the wild, PCs, etc. are going to be USB-A for the forseeable future. So it sort of doesn't matter as long as adapters are necessary anyway. Lightning headphones ignore the probable USB-C audio future. But there may be regulatory issues in the EU and elsewhere that may ultimately influence what they do. Then again if Apple manages to go with contactless wireless charging in a few years, that will change things completely for everyone ... in which case, I imagine an optional magnetic inductive charger like the Watch, which might connect to a charger via Lightning.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    DCJ0001 said:
    Yes, we do. No, it will not.
    Same height, same width, same thickness… and only an ounce lighter. The only physical difference would be a hole in the case for the 3.5mm jack (which isn’t there) and the case consequently covering the second speaker.

Are you sure it doesn’t work?
    So, if the height, width and thickness are same it should work. I am using the Apple's Leather Case and not some other no-name party. If you look at Apple's leather case bottom, by the connector, the opening is width-wide. So maybe they were already thinking about the removal of 3.5 MM jack. The only concern now with the camera placement in the back and other button placement - I am hoping they are at the same place. $45 for a leather case is rather premium.
    The camera is definitely not in the same place. The 7 is larger and lower. Apple sells two different external battery cases for this reason, though the 6s has a headphone pass through hole. The buttons appear to have identical placement. It would be funny if Apple discontinued the 6s case, effectively removing the headphone jack for any 6s customer who wanted one. That reminds me of this ;-) http://appleplugs.com
  • Reply 32 of 39
    bluefire1 said:
    jeffj2h said:
    Something I'd love to see, if they could find room for it in the box: ship the iPhone with the 10W charger. 

Why not the 12W charger?
    Charging a battery faster can reduce its life. 
    http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/ultra_fast_chargers

If you don't want to read the whole thing, you can scroll down to figure 2. 
  • Reply 33 of 39
    It's like, how much more black can it be? The answer is none. None more black. 

"This can be solved by putting the phone in a case, which renders the bulge flush with the covered area on either model), or by simply not caring about the issue."

Simply not caring is the best solution for most issues. 
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Picked up my matte black Plus 256 yesterday and it's gorgeous. Essential thing to know: online photos of it, including those in this article, do not accurately show its true color. It's BLACK, not the deep charcoal grayish tone you keep seeing in pics, like a darker version of space gray. I was hesitant to order the matte black because of this, until reading a review that confirmed a deep black color. Out of the box, though, I'd say the glossy JET BLACK is the most beautiful iPhone I've ever seen--it really is incredible--but the display model was already an ugly mess of fingerprints and smears, and this was 30 mins after the Apple Store had opened. And you could tell that there was no way to keep the Jet Black caseless without scratching up that mirror polish surface.
    bbdroid
  • Reply 35 of 39
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    Stopped into the Gilbert, AZ store on launch day at about 1PM. About 30 or so people in line for phones. Store was busy on all fronts.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    It's like, how much more black can it be? The answer is none. None more black.
    It could be a vantablack case.

212Tam
  • Reply 37 of 39
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    sockrolid said:
    Every time I unbox a new iPhone, it's like someone from the future brought it back in time,
    then forgot to take it with them when they returned to the future.
    Can't wait until late October to do it all over again.
    especially with the first one.  It was an artifact from the future, a Star Trek communicator beamed into the present moment.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    I am getting the iPhone 7 in JB!  Just have not figure out exactly which size to get now!  I had the 6S+ but it seems a little big and the 4.7" is perfect except it not the flagship iPhone.  For $129 more; you get an additional 1GB RAM, additional telephoto lens and a bigger screen.  So, I guess, I have to go with the + model again!  It too bad Apple cannot make the two equal and charge more for the 4.7" model and make that the flagship iPhone.  I would mind if it was $500 more the the 5.5" iPhone as long as it has the same features inside it!   
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Hi, I bought my iPhone from italy 7 Plus 128GB Jet Black Friday the output within the first 5 minutes. But still it must come and give me time delivery for the third week of October. Do you think it's normal? It seems exaggerated as timing.
    Thank you!