Apple looking into glitch causing iPhone 7 to lose service after turning off Airplane Mode

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    I think it's software. I experienced this 2 days ago, have a 6 Plus/T-Mobile/IOS 10, toggled Airplane Mode, no luck, soft reset and hard reset a couple of times, took 10 minutes to resolve. 
  • Reply 22 of 32
    mwhite said:
    dcgoo said:
    volcan said:
    I'm switching to Verizon when I get my new iPhone. AT&T has terrible signal in my area. Generally I'm very disappointed with AT&T cellular service because there are simply not enough towers or back haul capacity. My neighbors with Verizon have no issues, whereas I am constantly dropping calls and also experience really slow data speeds.
    Not if you bought an AT&T iPhone.  It will not work on Verizon, ever.

Really? That's funny because I switched my girlfriends AT&T iPhone to my Verizon plan and it works just fine. Had to get it unlocked first but it does work. 
    Was that a iPhone 7 if not then it will work but with the iPhone 7 ATT and Tmobil won't work with Verizon?
    Gotcha! It was her 6 Plus. Hopefully she'll get a little discount to get the 7 since she just got a job at Apple. 
  • Reply 23 of 32
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Really? That's funny because I switched my girlfriends AT&T iPhone to my Verizon plan and it works just fine. Had to get it unlocked first but it does work. 
    Apparently Verizon started accepting bring your own non-verizon phone and it will work on iPhones and Nexus phones. They can also sell you a SIM that will work on their network. I assume that in most Verizon coverage areas they have LTE Advanced which must be compatible with GSM however an AT&T phone does not support CDMA which means your connectivity could be limited in some situations without an actual Verizon phone.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/bring-your-own-device/
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Ok, I'm not crazy. I had installed the ios10 GM on my 6s (carrier is Orange in Belgium) and was having lots of issues keeping cellular data working. I tried all of the usual methods like airplane mode, cellular data switch, reset settings... you get the idea. Finally after about 2 days of this I dumped it and went back to 9.3.5 (which worked fine), thinking that the issue might get taken care of at the last minute for the actual release. I waited a day to let things settle down then installed 10 on Wednesday. It has been working pretty well until this morning when again I suddenly had no cell data. Fortunately this time all was fixed by a simple reboot but still, I was pissed that it even happened. Whatever the hell the deal is, I hope they fix it fast. I'm fully convinced this is a software/carrier settings issue.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    My iPad Mini 2, which is on T-Mobile, has been doing this ever since I got it.  Airplane mode rarely fixes the problem; I have to reboot it instead.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    I have an iphone 6. Just updated to iOS 10 and after a short flight to Europe could not send or receive SMS messages, although was seeing some signal strength. Sounds to me like iOS update issue
  • Reply 27 of 32
    I wonder if the connectivity issue is related to the Intel baseband that is used with AT&T phones? Is the problem only happening with AT&T or is it happening on other carriers?  
  • Reply 28 of 32
    I actually had a bug like that on the 3GS. Likely not the same bug, but similar result.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    charlesn said:
    I'm having the same problem with my Verizon iPhone 7 Plus -- driving home along the Philly to NYC stretch of the NJTP yesterday, it went into "No Service" about a half dozen times, and these outages could last up to 10 minutes, or sometimes "flickered" between service and no service until it locked back on signal again. Since I have yet to use airplane mode, the "loose SIM tray" issue sounds like a good possibility. 
    Doesn't really look like the same issue. Loose SIM Tray, I've got that on a few Iphones.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    kudu said:
    I think it's software. I experienced this 2 days ago, have a 6 Plus/T-Mobile/IOS 10, toggled Airplane Mode, no luck, soft reset and hard reset a couple of times, took 10 minutes to resolve. 
    It's not a new problem. I've had it on my 6Plus and 6sPlus, also on T-Mobile, when switching off Airplane mode. Looks like it's more of a problem after a very long flight.

Regardless, it's about time Apple modernizes the stupid Airplane mode; now that WiFi and Bluetooth are allowed on planes in all phases of flight, the only radio that needs to be turned off is the cellular modem; having the bluetooth connection be interrupted when switching to airplane mode, and requiring the user to turn bluetooth back on and reconnect the headphones is unnecessarily inconvenient.
    brian green
  • Reply 31 of 32
    LakeviewKenLakeviewKen Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    My iPhone 7 was fine when newly activated by Verizon yesterday. Today with just normal use it said Invalid SIM. Rebooting...nothing changed. Removed SIM after reading this and replaced it...said No SIM. Did it again and held finger on SIM while rebooting...works fine.
    I noticed scratch marks in the SIM card contact plate the first time I removed it. Also felt no detente tactile feedback while inserting the tray.
    I conclude the tray receptacle is faulty and scratched the SIM card.