Nvidia working with Apple on graphics for 'revolutionary' new Mac products

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    Apple still makes computers? Hard to tell.
    tallest skiltokyojimujasenj1Habi_tweet
  • Reply 22 of 59
    macxpress said:
    I would really like to see more NVIDIA GPU's in Macs. Just my opinion, I think NVIDIA graphics are a little better these days. They're certainly better from a power standpoint. 
    Tell that to all the MacBook Pro owners from a few years back!  I was very lucky and Apple replaced my motherboard but the vast majority of folks I knew ended up with large aluminum paper weights.  I'd like to see a genuine 100% designed Apple GPUs, I'd trust Apple more than either AMD or NVidia.

2012 Macbook Retina - No issues with graphics card; I prefer Nvidia because I haven't had issues with their cards. Your mileage may vary. Wish I could say the same about the LCD screen that costed 370$ 14 months after purchase. Talk about getting screwed......

The issues are generally associated with AMD.
  • Reply 23 of 59
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    Why not use A Series to power OS X ?  It must be running in the Labs.  What we see is far behind what is being developed (I Hope).  I don't have to have a touch screen Mac.  I just want to run the iOS Apps on my Mac.
  • Reply 24 of 59
    Apple Toothbrush with 3D graphics 
    baconstang
  • Reply 25 of 59
    Not necessarily for Mac. Could be a new product category: AR gaming console
  • Reply 26 of 59
    It's not in the works, unless you are discussing Autos
  • Reply 27 of 59
    macxpress said:
    I would really like to see more NVIDIA GPU's in Macs. Just my opinion, I think NVIDIA graphics are a little better these days. They're certainly better from a power standpoint. 
    Tell that to all the MacBook Pro owners from a few years back!  I was very lucky and Apple replaced my motherboard but the vast majority of folks I knew ended up with large aluminum paper weights.  I'd like to see a genuine 100% designed Apple GPUs, I'd trust Apple more than either AMD or NVidia.
    Yep, I'm one of them. Typing at you on my 2010 MBP with a busted Nvidia GeForce GT 330M. Yes there was a replacement program, but my computer worked fine for many years and I didn't need replacement. Then one day I upgraded to Yosemite and BOOM GPU panics and system crashes aplenty. And no more replacement program. Fortunately some smart guy wrote a little app that lets you force either Intel or Nvida graphics. So now I live in Intel graphics at all times, because if I ever use the Nvidia card, a full system crash is in the way. Of course you never know when it will happen. In fact I tested it just today to see if by some miracle Sierra might be a bit more forgiving - nope, crash.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 28 of 59
    Jigma said:
    Apple still makes computers? Hard to tell.
    lol...
    but wait, iMacs, laptops, iiPads, Phones, Watch, ATV...almost all the stuff they make IS a "computer", accessories aside...
    jasenj1nolamacguyfastasleepbaconstang
  • Reply 29 of 59
    macxpress said:
    AMD graphics had a similar issue with an Apple Repair program. I don't see how your post makes AMD better than NVIDIA. NVIDIA has the better chips right now, and using less power to do it as well. 
  • Reply 30 of 59

eriamjh said:
    Crazy thought: why not use the pixel-pushing power of the A10 or A9x used in the iPad Pro?   Small. Efficient.  Powerful.  Cheap.  
    Powerful...but not powerful enough for use in a Mac. I do think eventually this will happen though. I'm sure Apple is working on their own Mac processors. 
  • Reply 31 of 59
    Whatever it is Apple and nVidia are up to in the GPU department you can bet your bottom dollar a $500 Windows PC will still utterly cream any Mac in a pixel pushing parade. Many of us would still like to see a return to a configurable MacPro but one which is priced below what many see as fraudulent. OSX is only as good as the weakest link in the hardware chain. That unfailingly is GPU performance.
    singularity
  • Reply 32 of 59
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Revolutionary with a big pinch of salt.
  • Reply 33 of 59
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    Whatever it is Apple and nVidia are up to in the GPU department you can bet your bottom dollar a $500 Windows PC will still utterly cream any Mac in a pixel pushing parade. Many of us would still like to see a return to a configurable MacPro but one which is priced below what many see as fraudulent. OSX is only as good as the weakest link in the hardware chain. That unfailingly is GPU performance.
    A TB 3 attached GPU would seem like a given, but more likely, a 5K screen with a build in GPU that works via USB Type C 10 Gb for the Mac Book or TB 3 for everything else.

There isn't the necessity for an internally reconfigured Mac anymore, and Apple isn't going to build one. Few people ever modified their PC's other than adding more memory; when the time came, they were replaced. Pixel pushing is not what $500 PC's are purchased for. 
  • Reply 34 of 59
    I'd love to see a return of the hardware to the base of the iMac (which could be as thin as a MacBook Pro and a razor thin display take the place of the current design. Moving the hardware back to the base would also give it more stability. Wireless charging is a possibility also, but I'd not bet on that part.

how would i VESA mount that? i've removed the stand and use a desk-mounted arm. 
    edited September 2016 baconstang
  • Reply 35 of 59
    My guesses for nVidia-Apple collaboration are automotive (http://www.nvidia.com/object/drive-automotive-technology.html) and/or GPU designed to be integrated within a 4K/5K monitor.
  • Reply 36 of 59
    Detach the screen and carry it around the house with the computer’s output being streamed to it. Use 802.11ad to push the data required.

There’s a wisp of a memory of a parody video being made of a giant tablet like that, but I can’t find it…
  • Reply 37 of 59
    I'd love to see a return of the hardware to the base of the iMac (which could be as thin as a MacBook Pro and a razor thin display take the place of the current design. Moving the hardware back to the base would also give it more stability. Wireless charging is a possibility also, but I'd not bet on that part.

Personally, I've always hoped for a revival of the iMac G4 style. That silver gooseneck was beautiful. A modern system in that space, without the need for that chunky optical drive, all that room you could put both i5s and i7s in there, good cooling, and desktop-level graphics, with a 21.5" 4K monitor or a 27" 5K? It'd be a hit. And a new mac Mini, just take the gooseneck off, and you got a new-model Mac Mini.
  • Reply 38 of 59
    Whatever it is Nvidia is working on, I hope it finally involves getting rid of that dead weight that is Intel. 
    Intel.has really hurt Apple's Mac business by becoming the the lagging dead weight of technology. The sooner Apple uses their own chips, the better.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 39 of 59
    macxpress said:

eriamjh said:
    Crazy thought: why not use the pixel-pushing power of the A10 or A9x used in the iPad Pro?   Small. Efficient.  Powerful.  Cheap.  
    Powerful...but not powerful enough for use in a Mac. I do think eventually this will happen though. I'm sure Apple is working on their own Mac processors. 
    Right now, I'd be very sad indeed if Apple did that.

ultra-mobile processing simply isn't going to cut it with notebooks and desktops.

However... Imagine Apple taking PA Semi's design prowess and applying that toward desktop class chips (not iPhone version of "desktop class" - real desktop class) that have the design efficiency that the A Series does. It would be a revolution. Apple would not only beat Intel, etc., but they would have the most powerful, most efficient, custom chips around, able to do whatever they want, whenever they want. And if they did this to GPUs also - let's say with a reference from Nvidia or whomever... 

You'd have the most compact, powerful, efficient designs ever. And it would be exclusive to the Mac platform.

One problem though - most big app developers would be reluctant to code for it as the port work would be monumental. And no, we don't want the Mac to be dominated by limited iOS style apps. Sure, it would be great to see some of the UI efficiency and intuitiveness come to Mac, but not the dumbed down limitations that so many iOS apps carry in comparison.

• Reply 40 of 59

Jony will get back to you. ;)