Drake's 'Views' exceeds 1B streams on Apple Music

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Popular rapper Drake recently saw his album "Views" become the first to surpass one billion streams on Apple Music, an achievement Apple commemorated with a plaque presented to the artist on Monday.



Drake posted a photo of the award -- with a signed thank-you from Apple CEO Tim Cook -- to his Instagram account earlier today. A separate post shows Drake and former manager Cortez Bryant taking receipt of the Apple Music plaque from Cook and Apple SVP of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue.

Drake released "Views" as an Apple Music exclusive in April under Lil' Wayne's Young Money label. Windowed for one week of unshared sharing, the album accrued more than 250 million streams and 1 million iTunes sales in its first five days of availability.

Long an Apple Music collaborator, Drake and Apple have teamed up on concert tours, streaming exclusive and produced content, the latter resulting in the Apple-backed "Hotline Bling" music video.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,547member
    MacRumors community has completely gone to shit. Comments have become unreadable. It's now a site where haters gather to bash Apple to get fake karma points to inflate their deflated egos, with an editorial group who actively encourage this by continually linking to linkbait posts for ad clicks and reactions.

    I was think a million streams was good until I saw 1B.
    edited September 2016 calimatrix077anantksundaramfotoformatbrucemckudu
  • Reply 2 of 19
    And here he is with his robot girlfriend celebrating afterward:


  • Reply 3 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,547member
    And here he is with his robot girlfriend celebrating afterward:


    All the same though, the actress who plays that robot in the movie is very attractive. The film itself is a bit bland. Unoriginal storyline has been done to better affect a few times before and ending is weak.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Give Eddy a raise.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    SoliSoli Posts: 8,544member
    ireland said:
    The film itself is a bit bland. Unoriginal storyline has been done to better affect a few times before and ending is weak.
    What?! Tell me another movie that tackled this storyline? What was weak about the ending?

    (Use the Spoiler format)


    edited September 2016 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 6 of 19
    ireland said:
    And here he is with his robot girlfriend celebrating afterward:


    All the same though, the actress who plays that robot in the movie is very attractive. The film itself is a bit bland. Unoriginal storyline has been done to better affect a few times before and ending is weak.

    Think it's pretty good. The story might not be original but I feel for the robot (played superbly by that gorgeous actress from Holland). 
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 7 of 19
    SoliSoli Posts: 8,544member
    matrix077 said:
    The story might not be original…
    Again, what wasn't original about it. I can't think of another film that tackled the concept of consciousness in such a philosophical way. There are films with robots, and there are films where a AI that has a will to survive, but Ex Machina goes well beyond the I, Robot, Short Circuit, Her and Blade Runner-type films. Do any of those films tackle with the philosophy of ethics or do they simply apply human-like qualities to the characters to help drive the narrative?
    edited September 2016 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 8 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,547member
    Soli said:
    ireland said:
    The film itself is a bit bland. Unoriginal storyline has been done to better affect a few times before and ending is weak.
    What?! Tell me another movie that tackled this storyline? What was weak about the ending?

    (Use the Spoiler format)


    There's been so many similar films before and I think I remember an Outer Limits episode is pretty similar. I found some of the direction to be quite poor—not the acting—in the sense it made the film predictable for me. And some of the cinematography and ending near the end was unsatifying and amerturish. For me though, more than anything they story itself was missing a certain something. It needed another level on top of what it gave us. My personal taste. Take Asghar Ferhadi, he can take an even simpler story and make it far more compelling—the filmmaking lacked prowess. I wouldn't worry though, it's only my opinion and I'm quite hard to please when it comes to films in particular.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Who cares how many times his music was streamed? His music sucks! He sounds like a car trying to start with a battery going dead....
    edited September 2016 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 10 of 19
    ireland said:
    MacRumors community has completely gone to shit. Comments have become unreadable. It's now a site where haters gather to bash Apple to get fake karma points to inflate their deflated egos, with an editorial group who actively encourage this by continually linking to linkbait posts for ad clicks and reactions.

    I was think a million streams was good until I saw 1B.
    Now if this site would get some real forum software instead of this complete and utter $hit they make their visitors use we'd be in pretty good shape. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 11 of 19
    SoliSoli Posts: 8,544member
    sog35 said:
    I like Apple music.

    But what pisses me off is CarPlay+Apple music.

    I connect to USB and CarPlay automatically plays a random song in my library. So irritating!!

    Why the hell does it play random songs? Why can't I turn of this feature!!!!
    I'd be much happier with that bug than the bug I have, where it always plays the very first track in my music library. I now hate that song because it's started up so many times after plugging in the Lightning cable.
    SpamSandwichkudu
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    I like Apple music.

    But what pisses me off is CarPlay+Apple music.

    I connect to USB and CarPlay automatically plays a random song in my library. So irritating!!

    Why the hell does it play random songs? Why can't I turn of this feature!!!!
    I'd be much happier with that bug than the bug I have, where it always plays the very first track in my music library. I now hate that song because it's started up so many times after plugging in the Lightning cable.
    Same. It angers me every time that happens. I have to wonder who in the hell at Apple is actually using their products the way normal people use them.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    SoliSoli Posts: 8,544member
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    I like Apple music.

    But what pisses me off is CarPlay+Apple music.

    I connect to USB and CarPlay automatically plays a random song in my library. So irritating!!

    Why the hell does it play random songs? Why can't I turn of this feature!!!!
    I'd be much happier with that bug than the bug I have, where it always plays the very first track in my music library. I now hate that song because it's started up so many times after plugging in the Lightning cable.
    It use to do that to me also. But that isn't so bad. Just name a random clip of no sound and name it AAAAA.  And it will play everytime.

    In my car it plays a random song, even songs not on my device. Which pisses me off anytime I have friends/family with me. I don't want explicit songs playing full blast at random when I have my nephews with me. Is pure stupidity.

    In the iOS9 you could select AppleMusic on your phone to only play downloaded songs. Now that options is GONE in iOS10.  Its to a point I had to delete a ton of my songs just so they won't play at random times. Hate it
    Good idea about the silent track.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    I like Apple music.

    But what pisses me off is CarPlay+Apple music.

    I connect to USB and CarPlay automatically plays a random song in my library. So irritating!!

    Why the hell does it play random songs? Why can't I turn of this feature!!!!
    I'd be much happier with that bug than the bug I have, where it always plays the very first track in my music library. I now hate that song because it's started up so many times after plugging in the Lightning cable.
    It use to do that to me also. But that isn't so bad. Just name a random clip of no sound and name it AAAAA.  And it will play everytime.

    In my car it plays a random song, even songs not on my device. Which pisses me off anytime I have friends/family with me. I don't want explicit songs playing full blast at random when I have my nephews with me. Is pure stupidity.

    In the iOS9 you could select AppleMusic on your phone to only play downloaded songs. Now that options is GONE in iOS10.  Its to a point I had to delete a ton of my songs just so they won't play at random times. Hate it
    These are great examples that illustrate what I've pointed out in other threads. Over the past few years the iOS GUI has, in my opinion, become less intuitive, and more tedious and conspicuous. Sog35, your solution of "Just name a random clip of no sound and name it AAAAA.  And it will play everytime." sounds very similar to the dozens of solutions I've come across when I've had problems with my Windows 7 work laptop. It is a work around to accommodate poor design. I used to eagerly look forward to the next OS X or iOS version or update. Now I'm slowly becoming one of those people who waits a while to see what's been screwed up before I decide to install. It never used to be that way with Apple, but now it is. Such is life.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    larz2112 said:
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    I like Apple music.

    But what pisses me off is CarPlay+Apple music.

    I connect to USB and CarPlay automatically plays a random song in my library. So irritating!!

    Why the hell does it play random songs? Why can't I turn of this feature!!!!
    I'd be much happier with that bug than the bug I have, where it always plays the very first track in my music library. I now hate that song because it's started up so many times after plugging in the Lightning cable.
    It use to do that to me also. But that isn't so bad. Just name a random clip of no sound and name it AAAAA.  And it will play everytime.

    In my car it plays a random song, even songs not on my device. Which pisses me off anytime I have friends/family with me. I don't want explicit songs playing full blast at random when I have my nephews with me. Is pure stupidity.

    In the iOS9 you could select AppleMusic on your phone to only play downloaded songs. Now that options is GONE in iOS10.  Its to a point I had to delete a ton of my songs just so they won't play at random times. Hate it
    These are great examples that illustrate what I've pointed out in other threads. Over the past few years the iOS GUI has, in my opinion, become less intuitive, and more tedious and conspicuous. Sog35, your solution of "Just name a random clip of no sound and name it AAAAA.  And it will play everytime." sounds very similar to the dozens of solutions I've come across when I've had problems with my Windows 7 work laptop. It is a work around to accommodate poor design. I used to eagerly look forward to the next OS X or iOS version or update. Now I'm slowly becoming one of those people who waits a while to see what's been screwed up before I decide to install. It never used to be that way with Apple, but now it is. Such is life.
    With every major update in OS X its broken something or something didn't work like it did before. This is nothing new. Maybe not in your experience, but it is nothing new. When you do a bunch of things to the code of your OS whether its an improvement, addition to an existing feature, or simply a new feature it can and will break something and all the beta testing in the world can't fix everything before its released. This isn't new and has been happening since OS X 10.1 until macOS Sierra. Same goes for iOS. 
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 16 of 19
    macxpress said:
    larz2112 said:
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    I like Apple music.

    But what pisses me off is CarPlay+Apple music.

    I connect to USB and CarPlay automatically plays a random song in my library. So irritating!!

    Why the hell does it play random songs? Why can't I turn of this feature!!!!
    I'd be much happier with that bug than the bug I have, where it always plays the very first track in my music library. I now hate that song because it's started up so many times after plugging in the Lightning cable.
    It use to do that to me also. But that isn't so bad. Just name a random clip of no sound and name it AAAAA.  And it will play everytime.

    In my car it plays a random song, even songs not on my device. Which pisses me off anytime I have friends/family with me. I don't want explicit songs playing full blast at random when I have my nephews with me. Is pure stupidity.

    In the iOS9 you could select AppleMusic on your phone to only play downloaded songs. Now that options is GONE in iOS10.  Its to a point I had to delete a ton of my songs just so they won't play at random times. Hate it
    These are great examples that illustrate what I've pointed out in other threads. Over the past few years the iOS GUI has, in my opinion, become less intuitive, and more tedious and conspicuous. Sog35, your solution of "Just name a random clip of no sound and name it AAAAA.  And it will play everytime." sounds very similar to the dozens of solutions I've come across when I've had problems with my Windows 7 work laptop. It is a work around to accommodate poor design. I used to eagerly look forward to the next OS X or iOS version or update. Now I'm slowly becoming one of those people who waits a while to see what's been screwed up before I decide to install. It never used to be that way with Apple, but now it is. Such is life.
    With every major update in OS X its broken something or something didn't work like it did before. This is nothing new. Maybe not in your experience, but it is nothing new. When you do a bunch of things to the code of your OS whether its an improvement, addition to an existing feature, or simply a new feature it can and will break something and all the beta testing in the world can't fix everything before its released. This isn't new and has been happening since OS X 10.1 until macOS Sierra. Same goes for iOS. 
    I'm quite familiar with coding, compiling, version checking, bug tracking, alpha and beta testing, etc. I've been using Macs for about 25 years and I've worked on my fair share of GUIs. In my opinion, over the past 3-5 years the GUI design decisions have gone downhill, and the number bugs that persist through multiple updates has increased. Stuff breaks and stays broken longer than it used to. I understand why; more people working on much more code, and more opportunity for mistakes or bad decisions. That's why I said "such is life". And when I said "it never used to be that way" I didn't mean that there were never any problems. What I was referring to was that I never used to hesitate to install the latest update, but now I wait.
    Soli
  • Reply 17 of 19
    ireland said:
    Soli said:
    ireland said:
    The film itself is a bit bland. Unoriginal storyline has been done to better affect a few times before and ending is weak.
    What?! Tell me another movie that tackled this storyline? What was weak about the ending?

    (Use the Spoiler format)


    There's been so many similar films before and I think I remember an Outer Limits episode is pretty similar. I found some of the direction to be quite poor—not the acting—in the sense it made the film predictable for me. And some of the cinematography and ending near the end was unsatifying and amerturish. For me though, more than anything they story itself was missing a certain something. It needed another level on top of what it gave us. My personal taste. Take Asghar Ferhadi, he can take an even simpler story and make it far more compelling—the filmmaking lacked prowess. I wouldn't worry though, it's only my opinion and I'm quite hard to please when it comes to films in particular.
    Have to agree I found the hole thing quite crappy, I don't mind repetitive story lines, that's unavoidable, what I dislike is stupid characters who do idiotic and unrealistic crap like falling in love with machines, but what's even worse is the over simplification of engineering in tech sentric films drives me crazy,
  • Reply 18 of 19
    SoliSoli Posts: 8,544member
    ireland said:
    Soli said:
    ireland said:
    The film itself is a bit bland. Unoriginal storyline has been done to better affect a few times before and ending is weak.
    What?! Tell me another movie that tackled this storyline? What was weak about the ending?

    (Use the Spoiler format)


    There's been so many similar films before and I think I remember an Outer Limits episode is pretty similar. I found some of the direction to be quite poor—not the acting—in the sense it made the film predictable for me. And some of the cinematography and ending near the end was unsatifying and amerturish. For me though, more than anything they story itself was missing a certain something. It needed another level on top of what it gave us. My personal taste. Take Asghar Ferhadi, he can take an even simpler story and make it far more compelling—the filmmaking lacked prowess. I wouldn't worry though, it's only my opinion and I'm quite hard to please when it comes to films in particular.
    If there's been "so many" and you're offended by its "unoriginal storyline" that you claim has been "been done to better affect," then why can't you name even a single film?
    edited September 2016
Sign In or Register to comment.