BlackBerry to exit hardware business, stop making smartphones, as financial skid continues

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    jbdragon said:
    Why does BlackBerry keep hiring IDIOTS? Anyone with half a brain would have known making Android phones was a completely dumb move!!! How does getting into a crowded Android market help you? How does giving up all control over the OS, and App store and everything else over to Google help you? It doesn't!!! I said right from the start that this was completely DUMB!!!! I did say they should have started being more Innovative like with the Passport. That was a phone completely different from everyone else. Their other dumb move was really making their old phones with higher end specs. People didn't want those old phones in the first place and is why people were fleeing, and yet they continued. I'm actually shocked they didn't drag this Android move another year before giving up. There is no real money to be made making Android phones. At this point it's pretty much a commodity. Think about it. Apple is making over 90% of the profits. Samsung is making most of what's left. Do the simple math and you can see everyone else, LG, Motorola, Sony, etc, etc, etc and fighting over scraps. Lucky if they can even break even. The ONLY real winner with Android is Google! They win no matter what. There's no money in Hardware, but in Services, Yes, in Ad's, YES!!! Google doesn't care who is making phones or if they're making a profit or not, Google still Wins. Someone disappears, there's someone else to take their place. BlackBerry will continue it looks like making dumb moves.
    The problem is now you have to go big or go home.  Only iOS and Android have the maturity and ecosystem to attract users.  It's REALLY tough to keep up.  Remember HP's WebOS?  Microsoft, who has the resources and experience to compete in the mobile OS business can't even cut it.  I can't see anyone breaking into the business, the barrier to entry it just too high right now.  Blackberry had their chance 10 years ago when they were in a powerful position but they completely blew it.
    edited September 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 22 of 38
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Blackberry... "Research in Motion" ... circling down the drain.
    I guess they saw that research was coming to a halt when they changed their name.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    The Fortune 500 companies that existed in 1950, 460 are out of business.

Why American's revere CEO's so much is beyond me. 

When the founder dies, 95% of the companies eventually fail. Ford, Apple, Boeing are the exception not the rule.

In BlackBerry's case it was sunk by the complacency and incompetence of the two co-CEO's a long time ago. So even "founders" can screw it up by being dumbasses.

Best.
    edited September 2016 nolamacguycali
  • Reply 24 of 38
    I think I have this right. Steve said, in tech you have to be 10 years ahead  of the competition to survive. He estimated Apple was 5 years ahead.

Once you get behind, like RIM, it's just about impossible to get back.

I look at MS and how they completely missed out on the Mobile revolution. The Surface is a mediocre product as is Windows 10.

IBM, HP and now RIM have shifted to "Services." That's good for them. In that it's a lot easier to BS people than to actually make products that people want.

edited September 2016 nolamacguyfastasleepcali
  • Reply 25 of 38
    With regard to being a patent troll, all BB has to do is threaten that: there will then be a bidding war to buy the company. As with Kodak a couple years back, a consortium will emerge that buys the company and allows each partner in the consortium to use the patents. BB shareholders win.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    melgross said:
    And yet, the stock is up 5%. Amazing!
    sog35 said:
    scartart said:

They have just announced to deal with an unprofitable part of their business, why wouldn't the stock go up?
    because without that unprofitable part of the business they will have a hard time selling their profitable products.

why would someone with an Android/iOS device want to buy Blackberry software? LOL
    as stated, their BES architecture is a reasonably secure corp message server (end to end encryption, with a corporate escrow key if needed to crack messages sent between people).    They are selling up their MDM and Messaging management to orgs that want to bid on contracts with Govt's that require both security and 'crackability.'

Also, their QNX division is a long term value asset as self-driving cars come to the fore.

TOG
    cali
  • Reply 26 of 38
    melgross said:
    And yet, the stock is up 5%. Amazing!
    sog35 said:
    scartart said:

They have just announced to deal with an unprofitable part of their business, why wouldn't the stock go up?
    because without that unprofitable part of the business they will have a hard time selling their profitable products.

why would someone with an Android/iOS device want to buy Blackberry software? LOL
    as stated, their BES architecture is a reasonably secure corp message server (end to end encryption, with a corporate escrow key if needed to crack messages sent between people).    They are selling up their MDM and Messaging management to orgs that want to bid on contracts with Govt's that require both security and 'crackability.'

Also, their QNX division is a long term value asset as self-driving cars come to the fore.

TOG
    cali
  • Reply 28 of 38

IBM, HP and now RIM have shifted to "Services." That's good for them. In that it's a lot easier to BS people than to actually make products that people want.
    ha. i love that. so true. 
    Solicali
  • Reply 29 of 38
    I give them a year before they go belly up.
    Not mentioned here is that part of what BBY considers as "services" is going into full patent troll mode. That'll be quite profitable. 
    Possibly, however I believe they've been lapped by the alternatives available to businesses and individuals. There's really no reason to pay for them when there are plenty of free identical services.
    Similar yes, identical no. 
    netmage
  • Reply 30 of 38

ha. i love that. so true. 
    Thanks. :)
  • Reply 31 of 38
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    I think I have this right. Steve said, in tech you have to be 10 years ahead  of the competition to survive. He estimated Apple was 5 years ahead.

Once you get behind, like RIM, it's just about impossible to get back.

I look at MS and how they completely missed out on the Mobile revolution. The Surface is a mediocre product as is Windows 10.

At this point not even Apple could outdo Apple. How can anyone else have a chance? 
  • Reply 33 of 38
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Finally.

admittedly I would have rather seen a different company go down. BB was okay because at least they TRIED to be original.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    I look forward to dilger's article. 
    cali
  • Reply 35 of 38
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    appex said:
    So, these are the kids that made fun of apple iPhone when launched...
    "iPhone is HUGE"

"They removed the keyboard!"

"Motorola, Nokia, Blackberry are too big for Apple to compete"

A few phrases I remember being hollered by various people in 2007.
    netmage
  • Reply 36 of 38
    It's the right pivot.

But it's also about five years late.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    edited September 2016