Apple planning to launch new MacBook Pro with OLED touch bar in late October - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79

...as I cling to my trusty 17" mbp... Oh how a 'portable desktop' cool running quad core retina option with 16GB+ of ram would be welcome...
    I don't understand this.  I prefer the smaller screen, in fact, I'd be happy with a 13" -- if it had the GPU and preferably 32GB of RAM.  I use my laptop in two places mainly- home and work, and I have external displays there much, much larger than 17".  Hell a 4k display in the 40" range can be had for $500. 

The only time I really use the laptop screen is when traveling.  

So I don't even need it to be retina. 
    We don't all have 20 year old eyes anymore. Wait till you're fifty and squinting and you want a bigger screen too.
    pscooter63tallguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 79
    macxpress said:
    You people and your 17" MacBook Pros...give it a rest! My god! 
    Agreed. It's like carrying your own tombstone around! :)

No one is telling you to buy one. Stop crapping on the rest of us that want or need a bigger screen.
    urahara
  • Reply 43 of 79
    Semi on-topic:

I wonder if Apple will call the next version of macOS "11"?  In 2017 we could have number synchronization across the two major OSes:
      - macOS 11
      - iOS 11
    At that point why not just unify OS branding and call it appleOS?
    Because it's not the same software?
    chiasphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 79

...as I cling to my trusty 17" mbp... Oh how a 'portable desktop' cool running quad core retina option with 16GB+ of ram would be welcome...
    I don't understand this.  I prefer the smaller screen, in fact, I'd be happy with a 13" -- if it had the GPU and preferably 32GB of RAM.  I use my laptop in two places mainly- home and work, and I have external displays there much, much larger than 17".  Hell a 4k display in the 40" range can be had for $500. 

The only time I really use the laptop screen is when traveling.  

So I don't even need it to be retina. 
    We don't all have 20 year old eyes anymore. Wait till you're fifty and squinting and you want a bigger screen too.
    Are you suggesting that UI elements and text are smaller on the 13" than the 15"? That may be the case only because the 13" has very slightly higher pixel density than the 15"  (227 vs 220ppi), but it's not like the 13's default point size is proportionally smaller because it's a smaller screen than the 15".
  • Reply 45 of 79
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    The MBP lives! I wonder if the same can be said for the Mac Pro and Mac mini?
    Patience.   They'll be updated before the end of the decade.
    fastasleeptallguy
  • Reply 46 of 79
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Forza MBP17-inch owners! As mine is a mid-09 model, I'm half-tempted to grab a Late 2011 model as an interim upgrade, even with it's GPU issues. But I'm looking forward to this new rMBP and when it has Kaby Lake I'll probably pull the trigger.
  • Reply 47 of 79
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Mac Lives Matter.
    slprescottSpamSandwichtallest skiltallguy
  • Reply 48 of 79
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    spheric said:
    Semi on-topic:

I wonder if Apple will call the next version of macOS "11"?  In 2017 we could have number synchronization across the two major OSes:
      - macOS 11
      - iOS 11
    Why doesn't Mercedes just unify class branding from A-class, C-class, E-class, S-class, V-class, etc. and call it "Mercedes class"?
    wrong analogy. I'm talking about unifying the branding of the OS, not the hardware.
    When Apple unveiled the first iPhone they referred to it as running OS X.
    A year later they had already changed to saying iPhones used iPhone OS.
    Then in 2010 Jobs himself said they changed the name from iPhone OS to iOS as it ran on iPhones, iPod Touches and the then new iPad.

You can't download an iOS app onto a macOS device and run the app just like that. 
    Having the distinct names of OS according to the nature of the device it runs on avoids the current Windows mess, where an app is described as Windows but the user has to work out whether it'll work on their PC, tablet or smartphone. 
    edited September 2016 sphericanomewatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 79
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    appex said:
    Apple should bring latest standard ports to all devices: USB 3.1 Type-C (reversible) Generation 2 (10 Gbps), Thunderbolt 3 and SDXC with extra pins for maximum read/write speed (300 MB/s).
    That's almost definitely not all going to happen. USB-C with TB3 -- yes (in some Macs that support it, the rMB likely won't yet). SDXC is likely to be relegated to a dongle on the MacBooks. They might keep it on the desktops.

Based on the leaked case photos, my prediction is that it's going to have a Lightning port, in the blank space were the mag-safe would go, which equates with the charging port. Lightning will be the de facto headphone jack (though they will maintain the 3.5mm jack without optical until at least the next redesign), an alternate charging port, and an optional data port, compatible with all current Lightning accessories. So for all those professionals who will complain about the loss of HDMI, USB 3, and SD card slots, if they already had Lightning accessories for these things on their iOS devices, they'll be good to go. 
  • Reply 50 of 79

It can't come soon enough.  I've been limping along with a mid-2010 MBP for several months that likes to randomly kernel panic, whether I'm booted in macOS from the SSD I put in it or in Bootcamp on the hard drive that's still in it (I displaced the Superdrive). I was counting on the new MBPs being released sooner rather than later; I didn’t want to end up buying the previous generation three weeks before the new one came out.

tallguy
  • Reply 51 of 79
    How about an iMac update. Would be nice as many still use an iMac in business as well as home.
    SpamSandwichmattinoztryd
  • Reply 52 of 79
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    bushman4 said:
    How about an iMac update. Would be nice as many still use an iMac in business as well as home.
    Could be a good website update to draw attention to this MacBookPro, siriPod, appleTV plus grab bag of other stuff pre christmas event.
  • Reply 53 of 79
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    spheric said:
    Semi on-topic:

- macOS 11
      - iOS 11
    Why doesn't Mercedes just unify class branding from A-class, C-class, E-class, S-class, V-class, etc. and call it "Mercedes class"?
    wrong analogy. I'm talking about unifying the branding of the OS, not the hardware.
    You're talking about unifying completely disparate product lines. 
  • Reply 54 of 79
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    I suspect by sometime soon, maybe in stages:

12" rMB
    13" MBP
    14" rMB
    15" MBP

and MBair kept as a budget model or discontinued entirely.
  • Reply 55 of 79
    Soli said:
    spheric said:
    Semi on-topic:

- macOS 11
      - iOS 11
    Are you suggesting that macOS, tvOS, iOS, and watchOS could be a single OS that would be installed a Mac, Apple TV, iDevice, or Watch without consideration for the HW in which it's being installed? :confused: 

Not exactly. What I'm suggesting is have an OS that has a unified architecture & ecosystem but can optimize / tailor the UI based on the device it's loaded on. At the end of the day it's one OS, just different UI layer. It simplifies the branding and there's less confusion for the average user.
  • Reply 56 of 79
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    spheric said:
    Semi on-topic:

- macOS 11
      - iOS 11
    Are you suggesting that macOS, tvOS, iOS, and watchOS could be a single OS that would be installed a Mac, Apple TV, iDevice, or Watch without consideration for the HW in which it's being installed? :confused: 

Not exactly. What I'm suggesting is have an OS that has a unified architecture & ecosystem but can optimize / tailor the UI based on the device it's loaded on. At the end of the day it's one OS, just different UI layer. It simplifies the branding and there's less confusion for the average user.
    That's what those OSes already are. They all have the same kernel, all are Darwin-based, and all use a lot of the same code, where it's applicable. There's even plenty of horizontal code sharing when one platform (usually because of limited HW performance) required a more efficient codebase (which is usually passed up, like iOS to macOS). Of course, each primary I/O needs its own UI, which is why even the iPad and iPhone have a different UI even though there are plenty of code similarieites. This is brilliant and a key reason for Apple's current multi-platform success. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 57 of 79
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    HeliBum said:

It can't come soon enough.  I've been limping along with a mid-2010 MBP for several months that likes to randomly kernel panic, whether I'm booted in macOS from the SSD I put in it or in Bootcamp on the hard drive that's still in it (I displaced the Superdrive). I was counting on the new MBPs being released sooner rather than later; I didn’t want to end up buying the previous generation three weeks before the new one came out.

Does it ever GPU Panic?  If so you have the bad Nvidia card.  The only way to fix it is to intall gfxCardStatus v2.1 and set it to force Intel integrated graphics only.  I have the same computer and it will crash hard if I don't do this.
  • Reply 58 of 79
    I really hope they'll make a proper event out of this. I hope this will be a great update. The mac notebooks are very much in need for a proper update. Beside a MacBook Pro refresh, I am very curious what they are doing with the confusing MacBook Air vs lighter MacBook.
  • Reply 59 of 79
    cali said:
    Jet black with "invisible" touch bar would be beautiful.
    Yeah, just like the black space ship in the Hitchhikers Guide through Galaxy!
    mainyehctallest skil
  • Reply 60 of 79
    The MBP lives! I wonder if the same can be said for the Mac Pro and Mac mini?
    An update to the Mac mini at some point hopefully soon would be very nice, have to admit that would be very welcome.
    watto_cobra