Apple's iOS 10 now running on more devices than iOS 9

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    rx4spam said:
    Why is there so little love, (outright derision and hostility even), for people whom, for whatever reason, would prefer to keep an older OS running on their device?
    If it's a really old system, it's a bad idea because some have bad security flaws like remote code execution from visiting a website. It's worse in a mobile platform with such a huge audience and with such personal devices. Having a system that was the latest one last week should be ok though. Being able to deliver the latest system effectively is something that puts Apple's mobile ecosystem ahead of others. If users didn't think having the latest and greatest system was that important then it diminishes that but they still have this advantage regardless.
    Concerning iOS, -considering that Apple forces the download of the update onto your phone without implicit consent, and then nags you every single day, asking you to install that update that you didn't allow in the first place, without giving you any solution whatsoever to stop this from happening
    The steps mentioned by @Soli above seem to work. It is a bit annoying that they download a >1GB installer without explicitly asking (they maybe write this in one of their user agreements) as it wastes space. Deleting it seems to stop the notifications as the notification is to install it not to download it. Maybe it will download behind the scenes in future but hopefully not. I'd rather they asked first for permission to download it even if it downloaded later and then ask to install it. They might have done some testing and found that having it ready to install had better uptake. I don't think that the vast majority of users would have a reason to avoid system updates so the way it's setup by default is probably most convenient for them.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    slurpy said:
    dysamoria said:
    Because it nags you to update. Who wouldn't get sick of that after a while?? I'm glad my iPhone 4 with iOS 6.x doesn't nag me for iOS 7 (it just wastes 4GB of storage).
    As it should. Are you one of those "my ancient hardware and software are the best ever and everything after that is horrible" people that never plan to upgrade? iOS6 is ridiculously outdated and limited. 
    My iPhone 4 is now just an iPod, with cellular turned off and no SIM. I keep it with the better looking (and easier to read) OS because I don't find it "ridiculously limited" for that purpose. In fact, I find it superior for that purpose because it's not full of thin text and blinding white & grey backgrounds, and the buttons are buttons, rather than blue or yellow "hypertext". I don't give a damn about security updates on that device.

I use an iPhone 6s as my current phone and mobile web browser. The 6s is too big for comfortable one-handed use (the SE wasn't released when I bought my 6s), and the OS is ugly and uncomfortable to look at... but it's fast enough for today's bloated websites. I didn't WANT to upgrade, but I had to. I was going to get an iPad Pro (and I did), so it made sense to have a phone that could work with it on iOS's new features. Droid wasn't even a consideration. iOS still sucks less than Droid.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    dysamoria said:
    slurpy said:
    dysamoria said:
    Because it nags you to update. Who wouldn't get sick of that after a while?? I'm glad my iPhone 4 with iOS 6.x doesn't nag me for iOS 7 (it just wastes 4GB of storage).
    As it should. Are you one of those "my ancient hardware and software are the best ever and everything after that is horrible" people that never plan to upgrade? iOS6 is ridiculously outdated and limited. 
    My iPhone 4 is now just an iPod, with cellular turned off and no SIM.
    Off topic, but I'd like an option to disable voice calls whilst maintaining cellular data. Is this something that's possible that I'm missing?
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 24 of 33
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Soli said:
    dysamoria said:
    slurpy said:
    dysamoria said:
    My iPhone 4 is now just an iPod, with cellular turned off and no SIM.
    An it off topic, but I'd like an option to disable voice calls whilst maintaining cellular data. Is this something that's possible that I'm missing?
    Don't think there's anything that does that, but Do Not Disturb mode will stop the phone from ringing or vibrating at least.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    crowley said:
    Soli said:
    An it off topic, but I'd like an option to disable voice calls whilst maintaining cellular data. Is this something that's possible that I'm missing?
    Don't think there's anything that does that, but Do Not Disturb mode will stop the phone from ringing or vibrating at least.
    I've tried this option since it seems too "kludgy" for me.

• Reply 26 of 33
    I have an iPhone 6, and I wish I hadn't "updated." My battery life has gone down drastically, and sometimes the phone dies completely before even hitting the 20% warning, which never happened previously. With earlier operating systems, I usually finished the day with at least 80% left, but I think those days are gone for good. 
    The dying battery around the 20% mark is something that happens to mine and my wife's 6S's. The fix is detailed on apple forums as its a known fault - it basically involves restoring your iPhone via iTunes and running the battery empty then charging to full several times till the phone resets it's battery status.

Coincidentally, my 6S hasn't done it since I upgraded to iOS10.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Still sporting 7.1.2 on my iPhone 4! Thanks for the longevity, Apple!  :)
  • Reply 28 of 33
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    rx4spam said:
    Why is there so little love, (outright derision and hostility even), for people whom, for whatever reason, would prefer to keep an older OS running on their device?

I haven't updated from my iPhone 4 because I don't have hundreds of $$$ to throw around for new devices to replace those that continue to work just fine. Secondly, with the tie-in of iPhones to carrier plans, I'm stuck with my old device on a good plan, or getting a new device on a worse plan (for the same or more money). My only other option is to buy a brand new device outright, and use it with my current plan, but that brings me back to point #1 — I don't have the extra money for that. So I'm stuck where I am until it's absolutely essential that I upgrade, which is less than a month away now. An iPhone SE is in my future...

• Reply 29 of 33
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    adm1 said:
    I have an iPhone 6, and I wish I hadn't "updated." My battery life has gone down drastically, and sometimes the phone dies completely before even hitting the 20% warning, which never happened previously. With earlier operating systems, I usually finished the day with at least 80% left, but I think those days are gone for good. 
    The dying battery around the 20% mark is something that happens to mine and my wife's 6S's. The fix is detailed on apple forums as its a known fault - it basically involves restoring your iPhone via iTunes and running the battery empty then charging to full several times till the phone resets it's battery status.

Coincidentally, my 6S hasn't done it since I upgraded to iOS10.
    Can you please post a link to this?
  • Reply 30 of 33
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,555member
    rx4spam said:

I haven't updated from my iPhone 4 because I don't have hundreds of $$$ to throw around for new devices to replace those that continue to work just fine. Secondly, with the tie-in of iPhones to carrier plans, I'm stuck with my old device on a good plan, or getting a new device on a worse plan (for the same or more money). My only other option is to buy a brand new device outright, and use it with my current plan, but that brings me back to point #1 — I don't have the extra money for that. So I'm stuck where I am until it's absolutely essential that I upgrade, which is less than a month away now. An iPhone SE is in my future...

That's not the point. This is about people who want to keep older versions running on devices that support newer software.

To the people who "miss the old Apple": I've been a Mac user for 27 years now, too. And I remember that world being entirely free of internet security, ransomware, and cloud-based personal data storage. 
    I would not want that old Apple to be running my digital environment in 2016.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 31 of 33
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    spheric said:

That's not the point. This is about people who want to keep older versions running on devices that support newer software.

That's me for the most part. I like to stay at least one (or more) versions behind current on both my iPhone and my Macs. Apple has an increasing habit of taking features away that I like, so once i have a system running the way I want it, I'm very hesitant to trust Apple when a new version comes out. It's been quite a while since I've done an upgrade where I did not feel that it was a negative experience, so I want to stick with what I like.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    rx4spam said:

How about slipping the difference and buying a used iPhone on, say, Craig's List. If within 2 years from purchase you may even find one that still has AC+, which gives you a bit of safety net with your purchase. Not everyone buys a phone the day it comes out so you should be able to find, say, a great looking iPhone 6 on Craig's List for a decent price. You get the faster speeds, the larger display, the much better HW (in general), and the latest OS.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    rx4spam said:
    I typically do not like to update the OS's on my devices, whether they be iOS or OS X, -er, excuse me MacOS,  until a couple of updates have been issued.
    This is both, because I am waiting to hear from different online communities running older no longer supported apps, (e.g. Final Cut Pro 7 on MacOS), about potential incompatibilities, as well as to give time for the folks at Cupertino to clear out any bugs which are naturally present, (both iOS and MacOS), in the first couple iterations of any new software.
    Apple loves to make a big deal reporting the percentage of devices updated to their latest OS, -like it's some badge of pride.
    Well, considering the drip-drip-drip, Chinese water torture, that one has to endure in order to resist the updates, (you'd think the nagware popups were written by the Borg), the reverse side of that story is the real news, -and that is what percentage of holdouts are still able to hang in there out there?
    Concerning iOS, -considering that Apple forces the download of the update onto your phone without implicit consent, and then nags you every single day, asking you to install that update that you didn't allow in the first place, without giving you any solution whatsoever to stop this from happening, -the fact that 45% of the people have still managed to resist this, and any forced update is the real story, and, not how many have actually succumbed to updating their devices, whether by choice or submission.
    Granted, these updates may enhance the user experience, and provide a more secure environment, but that decision, and choice, should still be ours, and not theirs. Giving us a simple preference setting would easily do the trick, but that is clearly not in their interest, only in ours.
    All this said, I have never read any of the Apple agreements that we have to keep giving our consent to from time to time, in order to run their products.
    So for all I know, I may have already given them every right to engage in this old-school, Microsoft like behavior.
    Finally, I have been an Apple user for over twenty seven years.  I sure do miss that old company... 

the only people who complain about this shit are techies. normal users do not care. thus having a high % of normal users on the latest OS is important for their security and to developers who can implement better functionality. thus it benefits the entire ecosystem and thus apple. 

feature, not a bug. 
    edited October 2016 Solispheric