This week on AI: 'Touch bar' MacBook Pro in late Oct., all-glass casing on 2017 iPhones & more

Posted:
in General Discussion
For a rare moment, the Mac actually grabbed some the spotlight this week -- though it had to share the stage with yet more rumors about 2017 iPhones, and an assortment of minor Apple announcements.

To keep up on the latest in the Apple world, download the official AppleInsider app, and subscribe to our email newsletter.

Everything you need to know:

• Apple's touch bar-equipped MacBook Pro could ship in late October > >
  • 2017 iPhones may have glass casing with metal edges, using stainless steel on more expensive models > >
  • Future Macs may switch back to Nvidia graphics hardware > >
  • Apple revealed when more international shoppers will get the iPhone 7 > >
  • Sharp is expected to supply OLED panels for future iPhones > >
  • Apple announced an enterprise IT partnership with Deloitte > >
  • Apple's London workforce is being moved into the iconic Battersea Power Station > >

For in-depth discussion of this week's hottest stories, listen to the AppleInsider podcast. Subscribe here, or stream the embed below:

A roundup of all of our hottest stories this week:

Apple planning to launch new MacBook Pro with OLED touch bar in late October - report

All 2017 iPhones likely to have glass casing, stainless steel edges may be limited to high-end models

Nvidia working with Apple on graphics for 'revolutionary' new Mac products

Apple's local iPhone 7 pages point to more international launches on Oct. 14

Sharp in talks with Apple for anticipated switch to OLED display iPhones

Apple partners with leading business service provider Deloitte for enterprise IT

Apple to house 1,400 employees at London's restored Battersea Power Station starting in 2021

New macOS Sierra 10.12.1 betas available to developers & public

Apple celebrates grand opening of first retail store in Mexico

Apple's health hires geared towards sharing, interpreting data, including new Watch apps

Health insurer Aetna to offer customer & employee discounts on Apple Watch

Apple summons security experts for bug bounty program brief - report

Chinese media, government confirms Apple research center in Beijing tech corridor

Apple acknowledges tracking iMessage metadata and sharing it with law enforcement

iPhone 7 owners complain about issues with BMW Bluetooth support, Verizon LTE connections

Apple Pay said to be in testing for Russia, in talks for Taiwan & Kenya

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    You know I've seen that picture of the 'Touch Bar' so many times that I really hope it looks like that or even better. The creator of the picture (I can just barely see the name Martin H.?) I hope is getting some serious royalty's for the use of it. On a side note, I think the Touch Bar is really cool (if it looks like that) and will open up a world of new use cases. We'll probably wonder how we ever did without it. But I'm just surprised no one has done this before or have they? Anyway, can't wait... :)
    equality72521
  • Reply 2 of 12
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    In my opinion, its like adding clutter to your keyboard. I personally did not like the idea of seeing the stuff on my keyboard touch bar, that I already can on screen. MacBook will lose it's simplicity and elegance.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 3 of 12
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Ok guys about that NVidia return, what if it isn't an issue of a GPU being slapped into a motherboard but rather an NVidia SOC.   Here I'm thinking NVidia Parker and Xavier like chips.  You put these into Macs as part of the transition to ARM in the Macs and you would get few complaints about performance.  

I don't think I'm crazy here though I haven't dug all the performance numbers.    It doesn't appear that these are laptop class chips but Apple has that covered with its own A series chips.  What I'm saying is that it looks like these new SoC from NVidia would give Apple the range of chips needed to transition most of the Mac Product line to ARM in one go.  It is an interesting possibility if you are one of the people that would like to see Apple move away from Intel.   

Another possibility, a very good one in my mind, is that these chips, one of them at least is headed for an Apple monitor with a built in GPU.   The extra compute power offered by the ARM cores could result in some interesting performance behaviors.    Effectively the Mac would end up sending very high level instructions over to the monitor to be processed on the ARM cores which then drive the GPU.   In other words you get a bit more than just sending GPU instructions over the TB interface.   The only problem here is that I'm not sure the complexity is worth it.   However another 7 billion transistors helping the laptops processor is a delicious thought.  

So so what in saying here is that rumors about NVidia could be more than a GPU design in.  
  • Reply 4 of 12

aegean said:
    In my opinion, its like adding clutter to your keyboard. I personally did not like the idea of seeing the stuff on my keyboard touch bar, that I already can on screen. MacBook will lose it's simplicity and elegance.
    Don't knock it until you have tried it!   

I really don't see how you can call this clutter, it effectively replaces a row of function keys already there.  While I have reservations I'm not going to dismiss this out of hand.   I can imagine this working in a number of different ways some not so good while others having huge potential.   

As as to what you are imagining I don't see it that way.    I fully expect usage similar to how function keys are used today.   You just won't have to guess as to key functionality. Frankly I see this as a power users feature, especially those that are very familiar with the keyboard.   If you are the sort that never used the function keys you will lose very little.  On the other hand if you do use the function keys this just makes it faster and easier to learn specific functions depending on the app in foreground.  

As as for your statement about Mac Book losing its simplicity and elegance, where are you coming from here?    Seriously how does an improved function key capability reduce elegance?    If this works as imagined it would be more elegant and enhance operator access to the machine.   

In in any event let's not knock something we haven't tried.   It could suck but this is Apple and we can at least hope that they do a better job than the average gringo implementing this on a MS compatible platform.   
    pulseimagesuraharaequality72521
  • Reply 5 of 12
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    wizard69 said:

aegean said:

I really don't see how you can call this clutter, it effectively replaces a row of function keys already there.  While I have reservations I'm not going to dismiss this out of hand.   I can imagine this working in a number of different ways some not so good while others having huge potential.   

As as to what you are imagining I don't see it that way.    I fully expect usage similar to how function keys are used today.   You just won't have to guess as to key functionality. Frankly I see this as a power users feature, especially those that are very familiar with the keyboard.   If you are the sort that never used the function keys you will lose very little.  On the other hand if you do use the function keys this just makes it faster and easier to learn specific functions depending on the app in foreground.  

As as for your statement about Mac Book losing its simplicity and elegance, where are you coming from here?    Seriously how does an improved function key capability reduce elegance?    If this works as imagined it would be more elegant and enhance operator access to the machine.   

In in any event let's not knock something we haven't tried.   It could suck but this is Apple and we can at least hope that they do a better job than the average gringo implementing this on a MS compatible platform.   
    We've all tried it. 

In the early 2000s. Gosh is had that ridiculous screen under the trackpad. 

It it was just clutter. 

Please Apple, don't turn the MBP into a Wii U. 

Andvthe render is hideous. I don't want a display showing something that I could see on the main screen.  Especially some "now playing" list that I'd just want to hide. Really hate to see that become ad space for Apple a music or some garbage like that. 
  • Reply 6 of 12
    wizard69 said:

aegean said:

We've all tried it. 

It it was just clutter. 

Andvthe render is hideous. I don't want a display showing something that I could see on the main screen.  Especially some "now playing" list that I'd just want to hide. Really hate to see that become ad space for Apple a music or some garbage like that. 
    Actually no you haven't tried it!   This should be fairly obvious as Apple has never offered this feature before and we don't really know what it will look like nor how it will behave.  You are making a decision based on a render that is pure speculation.   

This is has nothing to do with a Wii, that is a reductions statement to throw out.  

Its a a render based on speculation, why would you take it as a reflection of truth?    Really there are good possibilities and bad ones that one could associate with this rumor.  Personally I would prefer to see what developers and Apple do with the strip.    Some may fail to find the strip useful at all others might actually innovate with its use.  This makes about as much sense as trashing an updated Corvet because Chevy changed something that was previously familiar to you.   You really should take it for a ride and experience the "new", you might like it.  
  • Reply 7 of 12
    wizard69 said:
    wizard69 said:

aegean said:

We've all tried it. 

It it was just clutter. 

Actually no you haven't tried it!   This should be fairly obvious as Apple has never offered this feature before and we don't really know what it will look like nor how it will behave.  You are making a decision based on a render that is pure speculation.   

This is has nothing to do with a Wii, that is a reductions statement to throw out.  

Its a a render based on speculation, why would you take it as a reflection of truth?    Really there are good possibilities and bad ones that one could associate with this rumor.  Personally I would prefer to see what developers and Apple do with the strip.    Some may fail to find the strip useful at all others might actually innovate with its use.  This makes about as much sense as trashing an updated Corvet because Chevy changed something that was previously familiar to you.   You really should take it for a ride and experience the "new", you might like it.  
    Actually you s we have. Toshiba did this. It wasn't worth it. 

It it was a cluttery mess. 

Not Apple. 

Id hate for Apple to start adding redundant displays etc just because "oh shiny!"

and the ehope try try it you'll like it philosophy has no legs since the only way to try the exact way you hope for is to be stuck with it. 

If Apple wants to eliminate the function keys etc with a touch strip then that's cool. Perhaps it will enable app-context sensitive keys on the fly. But it must be very well thought out. Not another Nintendo ds or toshiba satellite or something that is forced.  

Where you are losing people is your love for that render.

Its not not a very "Apple" way to do things. 

If the the reality is innovative, great. But if it's like that render you are so fond of, quite honestly it's going to be widely panned. 
  • Reply 8 of 12
    mg.mg. Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    i wander if they could have tried the oled row in a seperate keyboard first, might have been an easier gauge of interest. but if it is valuable i hope a keyboard follows suit. would hate to lose the shiny new feature in a workstation set up :(
  • Reply 9 of 12
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1) Will people be happy if they only offer USB-C ports? What is the minimum number of USB-C ports they should offer?
    I'd be fine with it. I'd like to see at least 2 on each side.

2) If they replace MagSafe with USB-C, should we expect that all USB-C ports will be useful for charging the MBP?
    I hope that any of the ports could be used for charging the MBP, and I'd be fine with no MagSafe.

3) Is a Lighting port required? If not, how about a 3.5mm port?
    Logistically this one seems pretty tricky. Offering Lighting seems like a kludge, but not offering one seems like they made need to include a Lightning-to-analog-jack adapter in the box, which is also a kludge.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    mg. said:
    i wander if they could have tried the oled row in a seperate keyboard first, might have been an easier gauge of interest. but if it is valuable i hope a keyboard follows suit. would hate to lose the shiny new feature in a workstation set up :(
    Who says they won’t (eventually, meaning five years) release a standalone Magic Keyboard 2 that does it, as well?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    wizard69 said:

aegean said:

We've all tried it. 

It it was just clutter. 

how anyone can still not get that apple implentations are nothing like competitors' earlier implementations is beyond me. some people never learn.   
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    wizard69 said:

aegean said:

We've all tried it. 

It it was just clutter. 

how anyone can still not get that apple implentations are nothing like competitors' earlier implementations is beyond me. some people never learn.   
    The complaints always amaze me. People complained when Apple made the Fn keys get primary use as brightness, audio, and other useful items. People also complained when Apple get rid of the horrid number pad placed within the main keyboard layout.

I see nothing but opportunity and no downsides with the stated rumors. One thing I haven't seen in the mock ups is the Control Strip displaying portions of what's currently in the Menu Bar. It's the lose of the Menu Bar that prevents me from using full screen apps more often.
    edited October 2016