Mophie debuts modular Hold Force case for iPhone 7 & 7 Plus, but no headphone jack

Posted:
in iPhone
Joining in on recent trends, Mophie on Monday announced its Hold Force modular case for the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, allowing buyers to swap between backs depending on what they need to accomplish.

The case itself is available in nine different color combinations, including ones that are mostly see-through. All of them include magnetic plates in the back, which allow the modular components to pop on and off.

After buying the case, owners have a choice of three accessories. The first, the Wallet, simply adds two card pockets. The Folio improves on this, adding a third pocket and relocating cards to the inside of a lid.

The most significant accessory may be the Powerstation Plus Mini, a 4,000 milliamp-hour battery pack. This adds up to 12 hours of extra battery life, and includes a switch-tip connector, letting users switch between Lightning and micro USB.

What the cases do not have, however, is a headphone jack. Other battery cases adding a 3.5-millimeter input to the iPhone 7 are in the works, but none are yet available.

Mophie is selling the case for $39.95, and the Wallet and Folio for $19.95 each. The Powerstation Plus Mini is $59.95. If people buy accessories alongside the case, though, the prices of the Wallet and the Folio drop to $9.95, and the Powerstation slides to $39.95.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Apple has already taken my cards and put them IN my phone with Wallet/Pay, no need to carry them outside on the back. What I DO need is a way to clone the functions of my car key fob, preferably in the watch or phone, but if Mophie could put that in a case I would buy it. I have keyless ignition which probably complicates things, but even just triggering the door locks would be cool 
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 2 of 8
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Bwahaha!  So the ugly modular caps that Moto was bragging about are possible with cases?  Nice try knockoffs!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    am I the only one who thinks this is stupid, how is this different than just buying 3 different case each for diffn't occasion?
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 4 of 8
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Apple has already taken my cards and put them IN my phone with Wallet/Pay, no need to carry them outside on the back. 
    Really? How can someone theoretically stop carrying their actual wallet?

I only have one CC and one rewards set up in Pay. I just looked through my wallet and found several cards that I use all the time which cannot be put in Wallet. 
    These are the other cards I have to carry:

Drivers license
    Health insurance
    Auto insurance
    Marriott rewards
    AA Miles
    Lowes
    Krogers card
    Home Depot
    AAA
    SS
    Veterans ID
    and a few others that I probably shouldn't mention like my NRA membership, concealed weapon license, and GOP member in good standing card. /s

Plus some other Visa cards that I need physical versions of for stores that don't accept Pay, which is most of them. Furthermore, I shop online at the office so I need my regular wallet and probably will continue to for the foreseeable future, or at least until all the online merchants that I use provide web versions of Pay.

Just having a picture of a card is usually not acceptable, especially if it has a barcode or magstripe.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 5 of 8
    volcan said:
    Apple has already taken my cards and put them IN my phone with Wallet/Pay, no need to carry them outside on the back. 
    Really? How can someone theoretically stop carrying their actual wallet?

I only have one CC and one rewards set up in Pay. I just looked through my wallet and found several cards that I use all the time which cannot be put in Wallet. 
    These are the other cards I have to carry:

Drivers license
    Health insurance
    Auto insurance
    Marriott rewards
    AA Miles
    Lowes
    Krogers card
    Home Depot
    AAA
    SS
    Veterans ID
    and a few others that I probably shouldn't mention like my NRA membership, concealed weapon license, and GOP member in good standing card. /s

Plus some other Visa cards that I need physical versions of for stores that don't accept Pay, which is most of them. Furthermore, I shop online at the office so I need my regular wallet and probably will continue to for the foreseeable future, or at least until all the online merchants that I use provide web versions of Pay.

Just having a picture of a card is usually not acceptable, especially if it has a barcode or magstripe.
    1) Auto Insurance - Why do you have to carry this on you? I keep mine in the glove box of my car. 2) Lowes - You can keep this in Wallet app. I do. 3) AAA - If you have the AAA app, you don't need to carry your card. 4) SS - Why would you be carrying your SS card in your wallet? That is asking for big trouble if your wallet is lost or stolen.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 6 of 8
    romanmar said:
    am I the only one who thinks this is stupid, how is this different than just buying 3 different case each for diffn't occasion?
    Am I the only one that thinks it's stupid to continue making protective cases with open ends at the bottom? 

Seriously one drop on that area and you reread it you even paid one dollar for this case
  • Reply 7 of 8
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    SpeaksDolphin 

1) Auto Insurance - Why do you have to carry this on you? I keep mine in the glove box of my car. 2) Lowes - You can keep this in Wallet app. I do. 3) AAA - If you have the AAA app, you don't need to carry your card. 4) SS - Why would you be carrying your SS card in your wallet? That is asking for big trouble if your wallet is lost or stolen.
    I keep my insurance card because I drive other cars besides those I own such as when I get my car serviced and get the courtesy loaner. You are right about the SS card but it is sort of a tradition since I was 16 years old. I should probably reconsider that, however there a numerous other physical cards that I still need so the point stands - I can't give up my real wallet.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    volcan said:
    SpeaksDolphin 

I keep my insurance card because I drive other cars besides those I own such as when I get my car serviced and get the courtesy loaner. You are right about the SS card but it is sort of a tradition since I was 16 years old. I should probably reconsider that, however there a numerous other physical cards that I still need so the point stands - I can't give up my real wallet.
    I get you. But do reconsider carrying your SS card. My mom had been doing the very same thing until I convinced her it was not necessary. FYI, I haven't given up my wallet either but I do try and keep it as thin as possible.