Microsoft halts sales of Band fitness trackers, says no new model in 2016

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,465member
    cali said:
     I was thinking about Microsoft earlier. Every market they enter they try to copy Apple and have failed since Zunes.

Zune, windows mobile, Surface, all leading Microsoft into irrelevancy. Since Microsoft doesn't have a successful mobile platform copying Apple Watch will fail also. At least the band was different but it seems Microsoft is lost without copying Apple.
    I don't know that I'd call the Surface a failure. It's not a colossal hit, but it has its niche. The last two Pro models have been well-reviewed.
    but how did they sell?
    They are not to iPad levels, but sales have been growing and the customer satisfaction is as high as iPad.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-surface-apples-ipad-in-customer-satisfaction-dead-heat/

So I suppose MS is doing something right with the Surface line, completely different from Zune and Windows Mobile/Phone. 
  • Reply 22 of 26
    maestro64 said:

What, another product which MS has not figure out how to make money. Anyone keeping count how many products MS failed to make money on. From a Hardware stand point, Keyboard and Mice I believe they made money on, Still not sure if they make money on Gaming systems, I think they turned the corner after about 10 yrs of give products away but they had to buy a bunch of games software companies to help hide the losses.

MS is just lucky Apple did not decide to go into the gaming consoled business that would be another one they would be closing the doors on.

I tell people this all the time, Hardware engineers can write code, but code writers can not build hardware. Something in the hardware guys DNA that allows them to do both. Apple understand this thus the reason they hire the best hardware people out there. MS DNA is software and they understand this as well as Google, but if you want to make great hardware why go work for a software company.

Microsoft are probably doomed in the long run.  Of course they have a pretty large bank account so can keep churning out  failures for a long time to come.  Regarding gaming, from what I read gamers prefer to make their own machines so other than the copy of Windows 10 there's not a lot of profit for Microsoft in gaming on the PC side so that just leaves XBox.

I remember when people were saying that Apple were doomed, same as you are saying about MS.  I won't discount a company with such a huge presence in business/enterprise, gaming and cloud.  MS may have failed with mobile phones, but they have been very successful in many markets, including some Apple have failed. 
  • Reply 23 of 26
    Damn... gone before they achieved Kin connectivity.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    danvm said:
    maestro64 said:

What, another product which MS has not figure out how to make money. Anyone keeping count how many products MS failed to make money on. From a Hardware stand point, Keyboard and Mice I believe they made money on, Still not sure if they make money on Gaming systems, I think they turned the corner after about 10 yrs of give products away but they had to buy a bunch of games software companies to help hide the losses.

MS is just lucky Apple did not decide to go into the gaming consoled business that would be another one they would be closing the doors on.

I tell people this all the time, Hardware engineers can write code, but code writers can not build hardware. Something in the hardware guys DNA that allows them to do both. Apple understand this thus the reason they hire the best hardware people out there. MS DNA is software and they understand this as well as Google, but if you want to make great hardware why go work for a software company.

Microsoft are probably doomed in the long run.  Of course they have a pretty large bank account so can keep churning out  failures for a long time to come.  Regarding gaming, from what I read gamers prefer to make their own machines so other than the copy of Windows 10 there's not a lot of profit for Microsoft in gaming on the PC side so that just leaves XBox.

I remember when people were saying that Apple were doomed, same as you are saying about MS.  I won't discount a company with such a huge presence in business/enterprise, gaming and cloud.  MS may have failed with mobile phones, but they have been very successful in many markets, including some Apple have failed. 

I would agree, but MS need to stop wasting their money on hardware, they just do not do well in that space. Apple is the only company who does well in both spaces. Apple just not interested in the enterprise space since you have too many competing requirements from companies who have no idea what they really need or want that is why MS products do so many things not all that well, except Excel, that product works well.

MS is like the fox in the hen house chasing them all around trying to figure which one to eat first, they usually catch the weak and tired one first.

• Reply 25 of 26
    maestro64 said:
    danvm said:
    maestro64 said:

I would agree, but MS need to stop wasting their money on hardware, they just do not do well in that space. Apple is the only company who does well in both spaces. Apple just not interested in the enterprise space since you have too many competing requirements from companies who have no idea what they really need or want that is why MS products do so many things not all that well, except Excel, that product works well.

MS is like the fox in the hen house chasing them all around trying to figure which one to eat first, they usually catch the weak and tired one first.

If MS had stopped "wasting money" in the first gen Surface there will not be SP4 today, which is a great device.  The same can be said with the first gen XBox, which evolved in the Xbox One S, (soon Scorpio) and expanded to XBox Live, one of the largest gaming network in the world.  But using your same logic, why don't ask Apple to stop doing iWorks, OS X Server, Apple Maps or their whole cloud offering, since MS and Google are far ahead and better than Apple in these markets?  To think that a tech company should stop innovating because the chance of failure is non sense.  Even when they fail, there is a learning experience involved.  MS, Google and Apple are doing great things, while fail in others.  I don't see how this is a bad thing.

"Apple is the only company who does well in both spaces." 
    What spaces?  If it's hardware, agree.  Apple hardware is great.  Software?  They have been going down.  iOS 10 in my iPhone 7 is good example of this.  For some reason I have to close the Phone "app" frequently because I cannot hear voicemail or the touchscreen stops working.  I may add that the integrate apps in iOS are, at the best, average.  I cannot believe how smaller companies with far less budget can create great apps like Evernote, Acompli, Sunrise (both integrate in the Outlook app) and Todoist, while Apple keeps doing minor revisions.  May I add iWorks, which is far behind that MS Office.  Or what about Siri vs Google Now?  IMO, Apple is not a great software company.

"Apple just not interested in the enterprise space"

If this is the case, why the partnerships with Cisco, IBM and Deloitte?