Kuo: Apple Watch shipments to decline in 2016 despite new models, lower prices

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    amarkap said:
    I believe this, and I doubt Steve jobs would be too happy with the Apple Watch design. I have the first gen and other than fitness tracking and apple pay it's not a super compelling device, even with watch os 3. It makes more sense to whip out my iPhone to check and respond to notifications and apps rather than fumble around with the tiny screen. I feel like a walking advertisement as an apple lover which I don't like and I don't get that feeling at all using my iPhone. I enjoy using my apple products but the Apple watch as of right now is a mass market failure (as is the entire smartwatch category) and don't really see any need to ever buy another one in the future. I don't care for the fitbit wristbands either but their dashboard app is way better than Apples fitness tracking interface I see tons of people using them because of the simplicity it offers along with not being tied down to an Apple or Android ecosystem. I believe anyone who's serious into fitness and isn't an Apple fanboy will buy a better alternative dedicated to fitness tracking and not a smartwatch to wear all day.
    Then why the bloody hell did you buy it?  Or even more importantly why the bloody hell are you still wearing it if you think you are a walking advertisement?  Sell it dude...but you haven't so there must still be something you like about it.

And I'm not sure I understand why the Apple Watch needs to be compared to the iPhone as far as adoption and sales go.  It is an accessory that works with the iPhone or stand alone.   But it is a different category and product.  Sales numbers do not have to be the same.  It would be like comparing Bluetooth Keyboards to Laptop sales...they work together or separately...no one should expect the sales numbers or adoption to be the same.

As far as what the fitness folks buy and wear...well that is their choice.  The Apple Watch is clearly a more complex product than the FitBit and it will take some time to smooth out their interface, etc. but they did a lot with WatchOS 3 and I think they have made a huge gains.  At this point, I think for most things they match FitBit.  And now that Corporate America is getting on board (Aetna)...I think you will see the adoption and sales skyrocket.

In the end, I still use my original Apple Watch and love it.  I use it for it to tell me the time and my "Killer" app of all things is the built-in timer.  I use that like 6-7 times a day.  It is amazing how much it helps me.  And once I got a call why while driving and it was so easy to answer the call right from my phone....very safe too as my eyes never left the road.

What both of you are missing is the same that Kua missed:   THE biggest update was not the hardware, but the software:   Watch OS3.   This new operating system took away two of the biggest (legitimate) complaints about the watch:  the lack of killer apps and that it was a second rate fitness tracker.   Both were true under Watch OS2, but neither are/will be under OS3 because:  OS3 opened the watch's real time fitness data to the (fitness) apps -- which the lack of made them pretty worthless under OS2.   

As proof of that, the premier runner's magazine, Runner's World just reviewed the watch and proclaimed it is now one of the premier fitness trackers...

Incidentally, one of the major complaints about the watch as a fitness tracker was that it worked in tandem with the phone.   Actually, that is a strength.   in reality, most runners run WITH their phone (but need a convenient, wrist based means of checking, time, distance, pace, heart rate, etc...).  The watch just got a little more independent, but it still has the power of the phone to fall back on when and if needed.  No other wearable can make that claim.   But, just as GPS was added to the watch, you will see the watch becoming increasingly independent of the phone as technology advances..
  • Reply 42 of 46
    Kuo should start an Apple horoscope, which tells your fortune based on the alignment of the planets at the time you bought your Apple devices.
    kudu
  • Reply 43 of 46
    I believe this, and I doubt Steve jobs would be too happy with the Apple Watch design. I have the first gen and other than fitness tracking and apple pay it's not a super compelling device, even with watch os 3. It makes more sense to whip out my iPhone to check and respond to notifications and apps rather than fumble around with the tiny screen. I feel like a walking advertisement as an apple lover which I don't like and I don't get that feeling at all using my iPhone. I enjoy using my apple products but the Apple watch as of right now is a mass market failure (as is the entire smartwatch category) and don't really see any need to ever buy another one in the future. I don't care for the fitbit wristbands either but their dashboard app is way better than Apples fitness tracking interface I see tons of people using them because of the simplicity it offers along with not being tied down to an Apple or Android ecosystem. I believe anyone who's serious into fitness and isn't an Apple fanboy will buy a better alternative dedicated to fitness tracking and not a smartwatch to wear all day.
    I believe this, and I doubt you have any Apple products. As soon as you said Apple fanboy you destroyed what legitimate opinion you had and exposed yourself as a troll. 
  • Reply 44 of 46
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    macxpress said:
    jgreg728 said:
    thrang said:
    Whatever. All I know is I see more and more Apple Watches in the wild every month, and I'm certain this was always viewed by Apple as a slow long burn that accelerates over time. What most don't understand is the "killer app" is the Apple ecosystem itself.
    Agreed. Especially the sport models. Although I have seen a guy at my local gym bring a stainless steel one there with the elastomer band! But yeah I'm definitely seeing them in the wild more and more as time goes on. We'll see how this does. Personally, I'm still waiting for them to thin the casing a bit and add LTE. Although the S2 IS a tempting buy....

What difference does it make if the case is thinner? The case is fine. It doesn't need to get thinner and that would provide absolutely no extra functionality what so ever. Apple could give you a thinner case, if you want less battery life. In case you didn't know, the Apple Watch 2 case is actually slightly thicker. (no pun intended)

Why would anyone want LTE on it? Not only will it suck the life out of the tiny battery it has, but would also require yet another data plan. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not paying for a 2nd data plan just for my watch when it can use the data plan on my phone like it does. The phone is never out of range of my watch. I doubt Apple will ever put LTE in the Apple Watch. Its simply to necessary. The Watch is an accessory to the phone. Its not meant to be a standalone product. 

The case is fine for you. But it's stunning to me that Apple is going into its third year with the exact same design on a new product which was originally targeted at fashion, and took on traditional watch makers in the scope of its marketing (don't forget we first saw the watch 25 months ago, despite not immediately going on sale). At this rate, they're not even following the iPhone path. As I look at two identical products, where one is less expensive, I have to wonder how the average consumer is supposed to view paying more for a Series 2. If nothing else a thinner case would have provided a clear visual line of demarcation between the two price ranges.

And didn't people say that GPS would suck the battery dry too, and ask why would anyone want it? Were you one of them? Yet, low-and-behold, now it's on the watch with no impact to the battery life whatsoever. So on that basis alone, I'd say there's no merit to your prediction. 

Apple added GPS explicitly so people could be away from their phones. They also added an SOS feature in case of emergencies, a feature which requires cellular connectivity. I'd say on the basis of those two use cases alone, Apple is going to support LTE at some point in the future whether you need it or not.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 45 of 46
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    mac_128 said:
    macxpress said:
    jgreg728 said:
    thrang said:
    Whatever. All I know is I see more and more Apple Watches in the wild every month, and I'm certain this was always viewed by Apple as a slow long burn that accelerates over time. What most don't understand is the "killer app" is the Apple ecosystem itself.
    Agreed. Especially the sport models. Although I have seen a guy at my local gym bring a stainless steel one there with the elastomer band! But yeah I'm definitely seeing them in the wild more and more as time goes on. We'll see how this does. Personally, I'm still waiting for them to thin the casing a bit and add LTE. Although the S2 IS a tempting buy....

What difference does it make if the case is thinner? The case is fine. It doesn't need to get thinner and that would provide absolutely no extra functionality what so ever. Apple could give you a thinner case, if you want less battery life. In case you didn't know, the Apple Watch 2 case is actually slightly thicker. (no pun intended)

Why would anyone want LTE on it? Not only will it suck the life out of the tiny battery it has, but would also require yet another data plan. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not paying for a 2nd data plan just for my watch when it can use the data plan on my phone like it does. The phone is never out of range of my watch. I doubt Apple will ever put LTE in the Apple Watch. Its simply to necessary. The Watch is an accessory to the phone. Its not meant to be a standalone product. 

...As I look at two identical products, where one is less expensive, I have to wonder how the average consumer is supposed to view paying more for a Series 2. ...
    If it really were 'just' a watch, I could see your point. But the iPhone is not really a phone and the Apple Watch is not really a watch. They just occupy the same corresponding positions. The increased processing power, better display, and especially the GPS make this the Apple Watch I buy. Apple's fitness strategy should give the watch a big boost in sales even if people just plan to exercise more. I look forward to LTE data connectivity but won't wait for it. Fashion? Phht, as long as it looks nice, I really have a hard time caring about anything so frivolous.