Apple patents fingerprint sensor that works through displays, hints at 'iPhone 8' tech

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    fallenjt said:
    jbdragon said:
    sog35 said:
    Soon..........

I just don't get this. Why do I want to waste screen space on a button? To me that's just dumb. That iPhone X Plus picture is dumb! Where is the facetime camera? How about the speaker so you can hear the person talk? I just don't get a all screen phone. The Home button on the iPhone is part of what makes a iPhone. Tossing that button is just turning the iPhone into just another Android phone.
    Agree. I would bet that Apple will never get risk of the bezels. They may reduce it to half, but bezels need to be there for the structure of the phone and hide other components behind them: speakers, sensors, FaceTime camera...
    If they have to move the home button, it may end up on the side of the phone just like in Apple Watch and redesign the Sleep/Wake button somehow to not mess up with HOme button usage.

Really you think the bezel is there to high component and structure, I guess you never took an Iphone apart. I have, there are all kinds of things behind the display area and there is a metal structure behind the display area as well. The chin and forehead is there for the physical button and speaker today. The future solution will have the virtual home button and speaker with transmit through the display  and will not need a physical hole, this is done today with speaker technology. You can buy speakers you can imbed in the walks of your house and can not see them and they product sound through the house it uses the structure of the house. The camera will be imbedded in the display. From the sounds of it Apple has figure out how to solve all these problems. The finger print detections appears to be the last hard problem they needed to solve.

No I would not disagree going to a phone with little to now physical appears of buttons and such will not be easy to get use to and someone picking it up for the very first time with no background will have problems figuring out how to use it.

doozydozen
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sog35 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    I'm not sure this is the same thing. LG appears to be just putting the sensor under the screen, so will still have a block of the screen cut out which will be replaced by the sensor. 

What Apple is trying to do is give you the full screen, without a visible sensor. 

The problem I see with LG's implementation action is that part of the screen will be missing to make room for the sensor. 

The problem I see with Apple's idea is finding the part of the screen to put your finger on. 
    Why is this a big deal? Do many people unlock their iPhones with TouchID without looking?

Isn't this why Apple introduced lift to wake for the 6s and 7? You simply lift your phone or press the power button and the lock screen appears with virtual home button
    Actually it may be better than that. Reading the original patent, it looks like there is a electrostatic layer beneath the screen that 'focuses' the fingerprint image on the sensor. 

If I'm reading that right, the sensor can read the image no matter where it appears on the screen. 

No, that can't be right. Sounds too much like science fiction. 

In in any case, you're right. Raise the phone and a circle appears on the screen. That's where you touch. 

• Reply 23 of 29
    This company has supposedly developed a transparent pressure sensor technology, where each pixel acts as a transistor and a pressure sensor simultaneously:
    https://dimensionaltouch.com/

Not sure how far along they are. An article describing their tech is here:
    http://www.displaydaily.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=37628&catid=152&Itemid=564
  • Reply 24 of 29
    This article is from 2016. Apple filed for the patent in 2014 and were just awarded it now.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    This article is from 2016. Apple filed for the patent in 2014 and were just awarded it now.
    Whatever exists before the patent is awarded is allowed to stay. 
  • Reply 26 of 29
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    maestro64 said:
    fallenjt said:
    jbdragon said:
    sog35 said:
    Soon..........

I just don't get this. Why do I want to waste screen space on a button? To me that's just dumb. That iPhone X Plus picture is dumb! Where is the facetime camera? How about the speaker so you can hear the person talk? I just don't get a all screen phone. The Home button on the iPhone is part of what makes a iPhone. Tossing that button is just turning the iPhone into just another Android phone.
    Agree. I would bet that Apple will never get risk of the bezels. They may reduce it to half, but bezels need to be there for the structure of the phone and hide other components behind them: speakers, sensors, FaceTime camera...
    If they have to move the home button, it may end up on the side of the phone just like in Apple Watch and redesign the Sleep/Wake button somehow to not mess up with HOme button usage.

Really you think the bezel is there to high component and structure, I guess you never took an Iphone apart. I have, there are all kinds of things behind the display area and there is a metal structure behind the display area as well. The chin and forehead is there for the physical button and speaker today. The future solution will have the virtual home button and speaker with transmit through the display  and will not need a physical hole, this is done today with speaker technology. You can buy speakers you can imbed in the walks of your house and can not see them and they product sound through the house it uses the structure of the house. The camera will be imbedded in the display. From the sounds of it Apple has figure out how to solve all these problems. The finger print detections appears to be the last hard problem they needed to solve.

No I would not disagree going to a phone with little to now physical appears of buttons and such will not be easy to get use to and someone picking it up for the very first time with no background will have problems figuring out how to use it.

Then show me a damn phone with proximity sensors, front camera and calling speaker right behind the screen. You ain't know about sound technology cuz no phone can do that.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 27 of 29
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Similar problem different solutions, so no, the way Apple patented it is not existed yet.

But typical end-user normally don't care 'how' it's done, that's why Apple always 'lose' the 'I am the first' game but 'win' on the 'works better' category. Typical end-user will realize that eventually and prefer Apple way, the pundit, however, will remain skeptical.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 28 of 29
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    fallenjt said:
    maestro64 said:
    fallenjt said:
    jbdragon said:
    sog35 said:
    Soon..........

Then show me a damn phone with proximity sensors, front camera and calling speaker right behind the screen. You ain't know about sound technology cuz no phone can do that.

I like people like you, just because you never seen it, it can not be done. I worked in R&D for 30 yrs and I have seen lots of things yrs before they ever hit the market or before most people even knew it could be done. Grant it, some of those ideas or proof of concepts never seen the light of day for various reason but it does not mean it can not be done.