Google debuts Pixel 'Phone by Google,' with heavy emphasis on photography

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 95
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    juanguapo said:
    iPhone* by Google

*There, fixed that for ya.
    But this design is based off of the htc M series that was debuted in 2013 with the M7 the following year apple introduced the current iPhone (6) design to many people at the time saying they coppied htc. HtC in this case is continuing there own design language that apple narrowed 
    except instead of looking like an htc it looks just like an iphone. got it. 

the M7:

further the 6 is a refinement of the 5's design, and arguably the M7 is too:

then after the 6 HTC followed it even more:

...basically the HTC models are copies every step of the way, including the M7. 
    edited October 2016 tallest skilmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 82 of 95
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    shev said:
    The fast charging is an awesome feature. The iPhone's is embarrassing considering all the courage it took to remove the headphone jack and have the charging port blocked every time you want to use it to listen to music
    what jibberish is this? you can most certainly listen to music and charge.
    watto_cobradiplication
  • Reply 83 of 95
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    juanguapo said:
    iPhone* by Google

*There, fixed that for ya.
    But this design is based off of the htc M series that was debuted in 2013 with the M7 the following year apple introduced the current iPhone (6) design to many people at the time saying they coppied htc. HtC in this case is continuing there own design language that apple narrowed 
    except instead of looking like an htc it looks just like an iphone. got it. 

the M7:

further the 6 is a refinement of the 5's design, and arguably the M7 is too:

then after the 6 HTC followed it even more:

...basically the HTC models are copies every step of the way, including the M7. 
    Good investigative work. kudos.... 

watto_cobrachia
  • Reply 84 of 95
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    jgreg728 said:
    Pixel - What the iPhone would ACTUALLY look like w/o Steve Jobs' influence.
    iPhone and android wouldn't even exist without Steve Jobs.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 85 of 95
    gradlygradly Posts: 15member
    If you can't beat it, copy it
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 86 of 95
    NY1822 said:
    Google Home looks like a $3.99 Glade Air Freshener 
    And what does it smell like?

Speaking of smell:

https//www.twelvesouth.com/store/product/new-mac-candle

And it's already out of stock!!

edited October 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 87 of 95
    shev said:
    shev said:
    The fast charging is an awesome feature. The iPhone's is embarrassing considering all the courage it took to remove the headphone jack and have the charging port blocked every time you want to use it to listen to music
    Oh, the fast charging that affects your battery in the long term. That fast charging.
    Using your phone everyday affects your battery in the long term. My wife's 6 is basically running on empty now, so don't kid yourself like an iPhone can last 5 years charging at a snail's pace

I guess I'll have to break this news to my original iPhone that is about 9 years old and runs one day on a single charge.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 88 of 95
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member
    tmay said:

minglok50 said:
    Please tell me what fronts Apple are falling behind on?
    - Camera. The iPhone 7+ is barely catching up.
    - Battery life. The iPhone 7 came dead last (by far) in tests performed by the UK magazine Which!
    - Compatibility: the Lightning connector was great when the iPhone 5 came out, but now using USB Type C would make a lot more sense.

Don't get me wrong, I would never trade my iPhone for an Android phone. I find Android terribly unpleasant and cumbersome to use, and I don't trust it to protect my data. Still, I wish Apple put less focus on thinness and more on battery life. And if Samsung can procure a better, more sensitive camera, why can't they. The iPhone should have the best of everything.
    Camera; the iPhone 7 Plus is a new paradigm, even amongst the few Android OS smartphones that have multiple lens. It's the future, not the past, and a necessity to keeping the iPhone thin, which people are quite fond of. Betcha that all premium Android OS camera systems will follow this in the next two years.

Battery life. Yeah, dead last for the smartphone with the smallest battery, and the smallest form factor of Apple's current release; who would have thunk. 

Apple has shipped a billion iPhones, most of which use the Lightning connector that is smaller, and more elegant for mobile than USB Type C, so no, it doesn't make more sense  for Apple to arbitrarily change.

Apple focuses on thin, and power efficiency; Apple isn't going to add a bigger battery battery capacity to the form factor unless it can find more space internally, which cleverly enough, it did for the iPhones 7.

You can have wider field of view, Samsung's solution, with a larger imager, for more or less the same thickness as a narrower field of view with a with a smaller imager. In Apples case, the tradeoff was thin over a larger imager stack, and for the Plus, even a smaller imager for the 2x module. Throw in resolution on top of that; It's all just tradeoff. 

I'd wait for the results of DxOMark's test suite before I would make your claim about the iPhone 7 Plus

You may say that Apple focuses on power efficiency, but it remains a fact that the iPhone 7 ended painfully last in a real world battery life test, both in call minutes as in 3G surfing minutes. See https://blogs.which.co.uk/technology/smartphones/iphone-7-finishes-last-in-battery-life-test/

• Reply 89 of 95
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said
    ROFTL! Copied a rumor? When did Apple announce they'd have a blue one? Oh wait, they didn'...
    When a company says/announces something, that is not called "rumor". 

Correct. Did Apple announce (or even discuss) an upcoming blue iPhone?  I think not. It's a rumor started by some anonymous far-East source IIRC. 
    And Google was so desperate they made a blue phone based purely on a rumor.
    Same thing happenned when Samsung heard rumors of the iWatch and rushed out their pathetic Gear Watch.
    Same thing happenned when Huwei heard a rumor of a dual camera iPhone and rushed out their pathetic version.
    Could be that the rumor of a blue iPhone was actually this phone to begin with. 
    Yeah, exactly, or any of the previous blue phones from Nexus or Motorola. I would have been surprised if there wasn't a blue phone.
  • Reply 90 of 95
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    cropr said:
    tmay said:

minglok50 said:
    - Battery life. The iPhone 7 came dead last (by far) in tests performed by the UK magazine Which!
    - Compatibility: the Lightning connector was great when the iPhone 5 came out, but now using USB Type C would make a lot more sense.

Don't get me wrong, I would never trade my iPhone for an Android phone. I find Android terribly unpleasant and cumbersome to use, and I don't trust it to protect my data. Still, I wish Apple put less focus on thinness and more on battery life. And if Samsung can procure a better, more sensitive camera, why can't they. The iPhone should have the best of everything.
    Camera; the iPhone 7 Plus is a new paradigm, even amongst the few Android OS smartphones that have multiple lens. It's the future, not the past, and a necessity to keeping the iPhone thin, which people are quite fond of. Betcha that all premium Android OS camera systems will follow this in the next two years.

Battery life. Yeah, dead last for the smartphone with the smallest battery, and the smallest form factor of Apple's current release; who would have thunk. 

Apple has shipped a billion iPhones, most of which use the Lightning connector that is smaller, and more elegant for mobile than USB Type C, so no, it doesn't make more sense  for Apple to arbitrarily change.

Apple focuses on thin, and power efficiency; Apple isn't going to add a bigger battery battery capacity to the form factor unless it can find more space internally, which cleverly enough, it did for the iPhones 7.

You can have wider field of view, Samsung's solution, with a larger imager, for more or less the same thickness as a narrower field of view with a with a smaller imager. In Apples case, the tradeoff was thin over a larger imager stack, and for the Plus, even a smaller imager for the 2x module. Throw in resolution on top of that; It's all just tradeoff. 

I'd wait for the results of DxOMark's test suite before I would make your claim about the iPhone 7 Plus

You may say that Apple focuses on power efficiency, but it remains a fact that the iPhone 7 ended painfully last in a real world battery life test, both in call minutes as in 3G surfing minutes. See https://blogs.which.co.uk/technology/smartphones/iphone-7-finishes-last-in-battery-life-test/

A simple table for you...
    * iPhone 7: Li-Ion 1960 mAh battery
    * HTC 10: Li-Ion 3000 mAh battery
    * LG G5:  Li-Ion 2800 mAh battery
    * Samsung Galaxy S7: Li-Ion 3000 mAh battery
    If you can't see the obvious ie. that a bigger fuel tank goes further than a smaller one, there's no point in relying on flawed methodology to make the same bogus conclusion. 
    You may not be familiar with Which as an organization but it caters for the empty headed consumer unable to make informed decision based on relevancy. 
    tmay
  • Reply 91 of 95
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    cropr said:
    tmay said:

minglok50 said:

This test is so flawed it's not even funny? 3G? Seriously? 
    tmay
  • Reply 92 of 95
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    spice-boy said:
    Wow I have to hand it to Google, their first time making a phone and they got to a design that took Apple about ten years to evolve.
    I hope your post was sarcastic otherwise it was the most thoughtless post I've read for some time here.

It's not even accurate considering that Google's Android project started with Google trying to imitate Blackberry devices, then switching to imitating the iPhone once knowledge of that Apple project grew.

Nothing has changed in that ten years of Apple evolution.

The Pixel phone is proof that Google is just as reliant on ripping off Apple for smartphone ideas as it was ten years ago.
  • Reply 93 of 95
    The Pixel will fail. Much like the Fire phone by Amazon. 649 dollars?!? Google has a very high opinion of themselves and their poor products. 

So they put the best camera sensor that money can buy into the device. Then they hamstring the device by holding back on OIS (optical image stabilization). EIS is NOT the same. Not even close. The optics in the iPhone 7 and 7+ will be much better in real world use. I guess Google expects the Pixel to take pictures with the use of a tripod. 

They take away all of the hardware advantages that Android phones have, like SD card slot, removal battery, and waterproofing. The iPhone is now water proof. And Google expects this low performance high cost iPhone copycat to really compete?

It won't compete. And it will upset Samsung, LG and the rest of the Android OEMs except for HTC. 

Google has stooped to new lows. Everything they released is a copy of something else. The company is full of ex-MSFT engineers. And they are behaving like the old MSFT. 

Google is proving they are a poor partner. HTC had better be watching their back. 
  • Reply 94 of 95
    Sounds like a marvellous deal, all-the-4k-video-storage-space-you-can-eat for free!

You can be sure that the deal will rapidly evaporate the instant they reach the one million Pixel users mark (if the device sells that well) and be retracted, mark these words...

For those wishing Apple did the same, put yourself briefly in their place and imagine carrying the data centre load of hundreds of millions of iPhone 5SE/6/6S/7 users with unlimited 4K video space...
    edited October 2016