Google's Pixel XL priced like Apple's iPhone 7 Plus, but it lacks numerous key features

Comments

• Reply 81 of 190
    HaibaneHaibane Posts: 20unconfirmed, member
    Haibane said:
    sog35 said:
    Haibane said:
    Haibane said:
    koop said:
    I think people here aren't going to like this, but iOS/Siri is more of a liability for Apple than it's ever been since the first iPhone. Pixel is basically trying to sell itself on software and artificial intelligence. They are selling this as their A.I. phone. You can giggle about the spec wars, but you're missing the big picture that Google has surpassed Apple in software years ago, and Google is going to drive their "information" advantage into a hardware war that wont be about who has the faster CPU or most RAM. 

I can only imagine in 2030 it's really about what company has the bigger server farms, artificial neural networking and machine learning algorithms that determines which product makes consumers lives the easiest. Not some display resolution or wide color gamut. 

Google has the long game here. We're still figuring out what Apple has besides their phone at this point.
    uhh what does google have besides ads? apple's non-iphone revenue is larger than many industry players. 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mergers_and_acquisitions_by_Alphabet this for starters... Nest, Waze, Youtube, Boston Dynamics... or to break it down...

Google home
    Google cast
    Pixel
    Nest Thermostat
    Nest Smoke detector
    Nest Cameras
    Waze- Arguably the best mapping service for traffic
    Youtube- Arguably the most watched streaming platform
    Boston Dynamics- Robotics

Basically hitting some highlights here. Tons of other products though.
    apple's non-iphone revenue is much greater than all of those*. that was my point -- the bogus troll meme that apple is a one-trick pony isn't served by the reality of their product lines revenue. 

* but how how does Google Home or Waze or robotics bring in revenue? and isn't Youtube paid for by ads?
    Youtube has a paid service as well as an ad based. Similar to Spotify, but with videos too. Boston Dynamics is known as the leaders in their robotics division based in (duh) Boston. The internet mostly knows them for a reindeer they made that got hit. Obviously, Apple isn't a one trick pony. The Macbook is still arguably the best computer on the market, and people still buy ipod touches over other devices. Plenty of other good products by Apple are out there. I am not sure about Apple's non-iphone revenue being greater than Google's non-ad revenue, but I also don't have those stats.
    And what did all those non-ad businesses add up to? BUMPKISS.

Google's non-Ad revenue (other Bets) didn't even reach HALF a billion dollars:

Those other bets you are bragging about lost the company $3.6 BILLION in losses.

Pathetic. 

On the other hand Apple's NON-iPhone revenue was $79 BILLION.  Over 150x more than Google's non-Ad products.

The Apple Watch alone made more revenue than all of Google's non-Ad revenue streams COMBINED. And the Watch made hundreds of millions in profits while Google's non-Ad divisions LOST $3.6 BILLION
    What's your point? You obviously don't buy products based on who owns the market otherwise the market would have never been stolen from Microsoft back when Apple didn't have anything, but computers. Product quality has nothing to do with how much a company makes. Heck the popular vote got us Trump and Hillary so if this was a popularity vote we already know where that gets the US. Crap vs crap.
    now don't move the goal posts. sog was answering your specific question/stamement - "I am not sure about Apple's non-iphone revenue being greater than Google's non-ad revenue, but I also don't have those stats". now you do. apple's non iphone business is vastly larger than googles non ads, and larger than many big players. 

and this was all in reponse to the guy who said google is playing the long game but all apple has is the iphone. that's the troll trope, and it's bunk. revenue shows they have more than iphone driving their business, and i wouldn't believe they aren't working on "long game" technologies and road maps as well. why wouldn't they?
    Yeah my sole purpose of jumping to the comments section was to point out a few key facts the author mis-wrote. There are things I don't like about both devices and things I like about both devices. It is funny to me that the vast majority of features that people complain about google not having are things apple was second to the game with. Waterproofing, two lenses etc... I highly recommend you check out both devices side by side, and if you can afford it get both as they both are a vastly different experience. I pick up my iphone for a few things I prefer to do on it, but I pick up my nexus for most tasks. Movies, flights, etc where i need quick access to an aggregated list of things.
  • Reply 82 of 190
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    Specs don't matter. User experience does.

The Pixel is a vessel for Google's AI and Machine learning prowess.

And right now, you'd be hard-pressed to find a phone with a better AI and multimedia experience than the Pixel.

This is why the Pixel is better than any phone Apple has created. And will continue to be better than any Phone Apple will create moving forward.

Unless of course, AI and Machine Learning is just a fad.
    We shall see.

People vote with their wallets. 

You can make up all the high sounding jibberish you want. But ultimately its the consumer who decides which phone is the best for the 'real world'

We shall see how many $650 Pixel phones Google sells vs the iPhone7.

That will be the answer to which is the better phone.
    The Pixel is not going to sell better than the iPhone 7. It's a new brand. And Google doesn't have the retail and supply chain expertise that Apple has.

However, if Google continues to be at the forefront of AI and Machine Learning, then within the next couple of years, the Pixel will become a serious and formidable contender to the iPhone.

Google with the Pixel brand is the only company that can topple the dominance of the iPhone. Apple should be very worried, considering that they're behind in AI and Machine Learning.

Google over the years has avoided directly competing with Apple, but now, they've just dropped the gauntlet. People are underestimating the Pixel based on specs. That's misguided.

The Pixel's nuclear bomb is AI. It has better smarts than any smartphone. Period. And those smarts are only going to get deeper and more profound as the months and years pass by.
    Are you telling me the AI in the Pixel won't be available on $99 Android phones?

And stop acting like Google somehow discovered the AI god-child. Give me a break. Apple already has a huge AI team. IBM, Microsoft, Facebook, Twitter, and Amazon.

Stop acting like Google has a monopoly on AI. They don't.

And please explain to me why the average consumer would choose a Pixel phone over an iPhone based on AI? Why?  90% of iPhone users don't even regularly use Siri. Why the hell would they abandon a brand they trust for AI? Give me a break. 
    Actually google has come out and said they won't put the AI on other phones.

So far Alexa has been my favorite experience. I think Amazon is definitely one of the strong contenders. It will be interesting to see how Google's new AI works though once the phones are available and the home device is. Waiting for Apple's home device though because that would be nice to see.
  • Reply 83 of 190
    sog35 said:
    Haibane said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

And right now, you'd be hard-pressed to find a phone with a better AI and multimedia experience than the Pixel.

This is why the Pixel is better than any phone Apple has created. And will continue to be better than any Phone Apple will create moving forward.

We shall see.

You can make up all the high sounding jibberish you want. But ultimately its the consumer who decides which phone is the best for the 'real world'

The Pixel is not going to sell better than the iPhone 7. It's a new brand. And Google doesn't have the retail and supply chain expertise that Apple has.

However, if Google continues to be at the forefront of AI and Machine Learning, then within the next couple of years, the Pixel will become a serious and formidable contender to the iPhone.

Google with the Pixel brand is the only company that can topple the dominance of the iPhone. Apple should be very worried, considering that they're behind in AI and Machine Learning.

Google over the years has avoided directly competing with Apple, but now, they've just dropped the gauntlet. People are underestimating the Pixel based on specs. That's misguided.

The Pixel's nuclear bomb is AI. It has better smarts than any smartphone. Period. And those smarts are only going to get deeper and more profound as the months and years pass by.
    Are you telling me the AI in the Pixel won't be available on $99 Android phones?

And stop acting like Google somehow discovered the AI god-child. Give me a break. Apple already has a huge AI team. IBM, Microsoft, Facebook, Twitter, and Amazon.

And please explain to me why the average consumer would choose a Pixel phone over an iPhone based on AI? Why?  90% of iPhone users don't even regularly use Siri. Why the hell would they abandon a brand they trust for AI? Give me a break. 

So far Alexa has been my favorite experience. I think Amazon is definitely one of the strong contenders. It will be interesting to see how Google's new AI works though once the phones are available and the home device is. Waiting for Apple's home device though because that would be nice to see.
    Thats pretty dumb not having AI on other Android devices.

Android is truly imploding from inside. 

If Google really thinks they can change the landscape of smartphones by selling 100k Pixel phones in the next year, they are more arrogant and stupid then I though. They won't even sell 1 million Pixel phones by the end of the year 

They will have an AI, but it will be google now and not Google Assistant.
  • Reply 84 of 190
    sog35 said:
    Haibane said:
    Haibane said:
    sog35 said:
    Haibane said:
    Haibane said:
    koop said:
    I think people here aren't going to like this, but iOS/Siri is more of a liability for Apple than it's ever been since the first iPhone. Pixel is basically trying to sell itself on software and artificial intelligence. They are selling this as their A.I. phone. You can giggle about the spec wars, but you're missing the big picture that Google has surpassed Apple in software years ago, and Google is going to drive their "information" advantage into a hardware war that wont be about who has the faster CPU or most RAM. 

I can only imagine in 2030 it's really about what company has the bigger server farms, artificial neural networking and machine learning algorithms that determines which product makes consumers lives the easiest. Not some display resolution or wide color gamut. 

Google has the long game here. We're still figuring out what Apple has besides their phone at this point.
    uhh what does google have besides ads? apple's non-iphone revenue is larger than many industry players. 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mergers_and_acquisitions_by_Alphabet this for starters... Nest, Waze, Youtube, Boston Dynamics... or to break it down...

Google home
    Google cast
    Pixel
    Nest Thermostat
    Nest Smoke detector
    Nest Cameras

apple's non-iphone revenue is much greater than all of those*. that was my point -- the bogus troll meme that apple is a one-trick pony isn't served by the reality of their product lines revenue. 

* but how how does Google Home or Waze or robotics bring in revenue? and isn't Youtube paid for by ads?
    Youtube has a paid service as well as an ad based. Similar to Spotify, but with videos too. Boston Dynamics is known as the leaders in their robotics division based in (duh) Boston. The internet mostly knows them for a reindeer they made that got hit. Obviously, Apple isn't a one trick pony. The Macbook is still arguably the best computer on the market, and people still buy ipod touches over other devices. Plenty of other good products by Apple are out there. I am not sure about Apple's non-iphone revenue being greater than Google's non-ad revenue, but I also don't have those stats.

Those other bets you are bragging about lost the company $3.6 BILLION in losses.

Pathetic. 

On the other hand Apple's NON-iPhone revenue was $79 BILLION.  Over 150x more than Google's non-Ad products.

The Apple Watch alone made more revenue than all of Google's non-Ad revenue streams COMBINED. And the Watch made hundreds of millions in profits while Google's non-Ad divisions LOST $3.6 BILLION
    What's your point? You obviously don't buy products based on who owns the market otherwise the market would have never been stolen from Microsoft back when Apple didn't have anything, but computers. Product quality has nothing to do with how much a company makes. Heck the popular vote got us Trump and Hillary so if this was a popularity vote we already know where that gets the US. Crap vs crap.
    now don't move the goal posts. sog was answering your specific question/stamement - "I am not sure about Apple's non-iphone revenue being greater than Google's non-ad revenue, but I also don't have those stats". now you do. apple's non iphone business is vastly larger than googles non ads, and larger than many big players. 

and this was all in reponse to the guy who said google is playing the long game but all apple has is the iphone. that's the troll trope, and it's bunk. revenue shows they have more than iphone driving their business, and i wouldn't believe they aren't working on "long game" technologies and road maps as well. why wouldn't they?
    Yeah my sole purpose of jumping to the comments section was to point out a few key facts the author mis-wrote. There are things I don't like about both devices and things I like about both devices. It is funny to me that the vast majority of features that people complain about google not having are things apple was second to the game with. Waterproofing, two lenses etc... I highly recommend you check out both devices side by side, and if you can afford it get both as they both are a vastly different experience. I pick up my iphone for a few things I prefer to do on it, but I pick up my nexus for most tasks. Movies, flights, etc where i need quick access to an aggregated list of things.
    please take a picture of your iPhone7 with your Appleinsider user name written on a piece of paper

I doubt you even own an iPhone7
    Show one place in the comments where I said I did.
  • Reply 85 of 190
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

We shall see.

AI on its own is useless. It's how you use it that matters. Google is at the forefront of AI not because they're good at it, but because they've figured out how to harness it in ways that has left plenty of the industry flabbergasted and flatfooted.

A car that drove itself was in the realm of science fiction just a couple of years ago, until Google made it a reality. A computer that could defeat Go was supposed to be many decades away, until Google demolished that myth this year. Indexing the worlds knowledge and making it accessible to all made for a nice corporate mantra, until Google made it happen.

Google has consistently delivered on the promise of AI in a manner that is accessible to anybody, and in a way we take for granted today. That's why Google is better. It's no longer research for Google. They're now ready to unleash it to the world.

If you look at Google's hardware event through the lens of just specs, then yeah, there's nothing to impress. But if you dig deeper and look closely, the specs really don't matter. Google is transitioning from the web to hardware. And hardware is just a vessel for their AI.

Google Home is not out yet, and it's already better than the Amazon echo without even trying. Mind you the Echo probably has the better specs. But specs don't matter beside smarts.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 86 of 190
    sog35 said:
    Haibane said:
    Haibane said:
    sog35 said:
    Haibane said:
    Haibane said:
    koop said:

Google home
    Google cast
    Pixel
    Nest Thermostat
    Nest Smoke detector
    Nest Cameras

Pathetic. 

please take a picture of your iPhone7 with your Appleinsider user name written on a piece of paper

Also see reply 82 for my devices I've used.
    spheric
  • Reply 87 of 190
    sog35 said:
    Haibane said:
    sog35 said:
    Haibane said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

We shall see.

If Google really thinks they can change the landscape of smartphones by selling 100k Pixel phones in the next year, they are more arrogant and stupid then I though. They won't even sell 1 million Pixel phones by the end of the year 

LOL. 

So Android is going to give Google phones extra features?

Can't wait for Samsung to respond. 

Google just can't help but stab their partners in the back.
    Samsung doesn't have much room to stand with their potential for a second recall coming. Also Google has been building a vastly different OS for Nexus well before the Pixel came out than TouchWiz on Samsung.
    spheric
  • Reply 88 of 190
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

We shall see.

AI on its own is useless. It's how you use it that matters. Google is at the forefront of AI not because they're good at it, but because they've figured out how to harness it in ways that has left plenty of the industry flabbergasted and flatfooted.

A car that drove itself was in the realm of science fiction just a couple of years ago, until Google made it a reality. A computer that could defeat Go was supposed to be many decades away, until Google demolished that myth this year. Indexing the worlds knowledge and making it accessible to all made for a nice corporate mantra, until Google made it happen.

Google has consistently delivered on the promise of AI in a manner that is accessible to anybody, and in a way we take for granted today. That's why Google is better. It's no longer research for Google. They're now ready to unleash it to the world.

If you look at Google's hardware event through the lens of just specs, then yeah, there's nothing to impress. But if you dig deeper and look closely, the specs really don't matter. Google is transitioning from the web to hardware. And hardware is just a vessel for their AI.

Google Home is not out yet, and it's already better than the Amazon echo without even trying. Mind you the Echo probably has the better specs. But specs don't matter beside smarts.

AI isn't the end all be all. Look at Maps. I think you would agree that Google Maps has better AI than Apple Maps. Yet 80% of iPhone users use Apple Maps. PEOPLE. DONT. CARE. 
    Woah I have to stop you hear. I don't know a single iPhone user that doesn't have Google Maps or Waze installed on their iPhone. Heck I know people that work for Apple that have Google Maps installed.
    edited October 2016 singularity
  • Reply 89 of 190
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sog35 said:

Whaaa??? Please stop with the constant claims that others aren't being truthful whenever they don't agree with your views.  Note that no one has demanded you take a picture of your credentials with your Appleinsider name written on a piece of paper that prove you to be a certified corporate accountant as you claim to be.... 

These personal attacks and accusations against anyone you don't personally care for really need to stop. No one owes you or anyone else here anything. For a forum supposedly filled with smarter-than-the-average bear folks there sure seems to be a lot of juvenile behavior at times. 
    edited October 2016 Haibanesingularityrevenantspheric
  • Reply 90 of 190
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    Everyone with the big money is investing heavily on AI right now so it will move along pretty quickly. Money tends to help move things along.

And AI is the catch-all term right now that encompases the work of deep learning and machine learning and we see it everywhere already, in search, image recognition, text to speech, translation, everywhere.
    No one is going to hoard a computer science for a lone second-rate device no one is going to buy. 
  • Reply 91 of 190
    brucemc said:
    sog35 said:
    grangerfx said:
    Google used the Pixel to launch its Daydream VR. It's too bad that Apple does not have a VR SDK and hardware spec for the iPhone because the iPhone 7 Plus would destroy the Pixel with its vastly better performance and wide color support.
    99% of customers don't care for having VR on their phone.

Now imagine if a Samsung Note7 or Pixel blows up in your FACE when doing VR.

IMO, a smartphone should not be a 2 inches from your eyes.
    How do you think most people make phone calls? Surely your ears are damn close to your eyes. 
    Do you really believe that when someone puts up their phone to their ear, they look at the screen?  Don't know about Android, but on an iPhone the proximity detector will close the screen anyways.
    All phones work the same way. The screen turns black when you're holding it near your face. But what does it matter? Two inches from your eyes is too inches from your eyes.  Are you suggesting that a phone exploding to the side of your face damaging your ear , one of your eyes, and your hand is somehow that much less of an issue than a phone exploding in front of your eyes damaging your two eyes but none of your ears or hand?   It's a matter of choose which parts of your anatomy to lose.  

Either way, this is a silly argument.  How is a topic about a phone made by HTC even lead to the discussion of explosions.  Surely, you don't think phones are exploding because of the OS....
    Well too be fair both a Samsung device and an iPhone have exploded due to battery.
  • Reply 92 of 190
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    Same looking phone with less than an iPhone  for the same price?

GOOGLE TAX
    caliwatto_cobraspheric
  • Reply 93 of 190
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    An article written by a true Apple fanboy.   

Wide color gamut is not a feature - If the screen is beautiful, the screen is beautiful.  Nobody cares about wide color gamut.
    ...(omitted)...
    I get it.  For purists, accurate color is very important.  For the majority of phone owners, I would suspect though, are more interested in colors that pop and are vivid.   People love the iPhone screens because it looks nice.  Never once have I heard people say "wow those colors look really accurate!". Usually it's more along the lines of "that's a GORGEOUS screen."  Gorgeous typically means vivid, bright, and poppy.  Also, do you really think that in a world in which Instagram users are posting photos that are filtered to oblivion that they would care about real world color accuracy?
    If the iPhone was a DSLR your dismissive attitude towards color accuracy would sound ridiculous. Now consider that Apple has put a serious camera system into the iPhone 7 Plus, which in portrait mode can produce astonishing images with smooth DoF. Consider that iOS hosts several pro-quality photo editing apps. Then it starts to make sense.

Your whole argument boils down to saying that people don't want accurate image rendering and will settle for visual perception tricks of higher brightness and color saturation.
    I'm not being dismissive.  Go around and ask the general public about iphone color accuracy.  I bet you they could care less. People want a camera that is responsive, takes great looking photos (not necessarily 100% color accurate) that pop.   That is why so many people are amazed at the Samsung Galaxy S7, S7 Edge, and Note 7 cameras.  I truly think it only matters to real photographers and internet Apple champions. 

And yes! People prefer visual tricks over color accuracy.  Why do you think every single photo on Instagram is pretty much doctored and filtered?? Why do you think real estate agents post pictures of their client's home that have the vividness and contrast dialed up?? Don't believe me? - just look the house listings on Redfin, Zillow, Trulia, and Realtor.   A color accurate photo would probably NOT appeal to the buyer.
    You are right about that. Even when I KNOW for a fact that one image is a far more faithful representation, I also tend to go for the more saturated pretty pictures of the S7 sometimes.I know, ..I'm ashamed to say it, but people DO tend to rate the prettier pictures higher than the real world we live in. 
  • Reply 94 of 190
    wood1208 said:
    These Google Pixel phones will be forgotten soon. Price is very high and features are pretty much average or below comparing to other phones on market. You will be better of buying Nexus or wait 2-3 months and it will be far cheaper because of inventory build up. No one will buy at current price.
    Analysts believe this particular hardware is going to drive Google's share price up to $1000 a share and I'm willing to bet it will happen sooner than Apple gets back to $130. Wall Street is always impressed by everything Google does. You don't hear any analysts and pundits saying how underwhelming or boring the Pixel smartphones are. They seem to reserve that sort of criticism for Apple hardware. All I've heard is how these Pixel smartphones are going to give the iPhone a run for the money with Google coming out ahead. No doubts were expressed about how well the Pixel smartphones are going to sell. Wall Street clearly praises Alphabet and despises Apple. Most of the internet is saying how Google is the new Apple because they're doing everything right while Apple is doing everything wrong.
    williamlondoncaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 95 of 190
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

We shall see.

Uh....Since when did Google release a self driving car? The only semi-automous car I see being sold is Tesla.

So people are going to buy hundreds of millions of Pixel phones because its AI can beat an advanced Go player? LOL.

come on dude. Just stop. AI is impressive but it doesn't sell phones.

Your bias is really ridiculous. You have not spent a single second using Google Home and you already say its superior to a well established Echo line. Really? People call Apple fans sheep. I should start calling Google fans zombies. 

Google has been working on AI for over  decade. And the only thing they figured out is how to sell more ads.

And why the hell are  you wasting your time here?

You basic message is Google will use AI to destroy Apple, Amazon, IBM, Facebook, Tesla, ect. Sure dude.  Go preach your message in an Google forum.

AI isn't the end all be all. Look at Maps. I think you would agree that Google Maps has better AI than Apple Maps. Yet 80% of iPhone users use Apple Maps. PEOPLE. DONT. CARE. 
    Calm down. No need to bust a vein. You seem very upset, so this is my last response.

Google Home has been shown to demonstrate capabilities that the echo can't match. There are numerous hands on videos on YouTube. So even before release, Google Home seems to be much better and smarter than the Echo.

Yes, it is true that Google has better software and services than Apple does (e.g. Maps). However, the default services on Apple's platforms are often Apple services. Many times there's often no way to change the default service on Apple's platform. Hence, why Maps is more popular on the iPhone instead of Google Maps.

I'm confident if there was a level playing field, Google Maps on iPhone would be more popular than Maps. But there isn't a level playing field. Google Maps is after all, by far the largest mapping service in the world.

Either way people who are looking at the Pixel through the lens of just pure specs, like the author of this article, are just not seeing the bigger picture. Google is, finally, taking hardware seriously. And that's a big freaking deal for a hardware company like Apple.

Are they going to topple Apple overnight? Nope. Apple is better at supply chain management, retail and marketing. They should be. They've been doing this for decades. There's no way Google can match Apple overnight.

But if they can build a powerful brand image against their AI chops via their hardware, it won't be before long before consumers start seeing Google not only as a great software and service company, but also a great hardware company.

The Google Home is going to be the proving ground for this theory, not the Pixel.
  • Reply 96 of 190
    Haibane said:
    sog35 said:
    Haibane said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

We shall see.

Are you sure? I have Allo installed on Android 6 and it works, as far as I know, the same as the Assistant. What am I missing?
  • Reply 97 of 190
    Haibane said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

We shall see.

Woah I have to stop you hear. I don't know a single iPhone user that doesn't have Google Maps or Waze installed on their iPhone. Heck I know people that work for Apple that have Google Maps installed.
    Hi! My wife and I use iPhones and don't have either installed (consider us having now "met"). We live in a place covered by Apple Maps Transit and haven't used Google Maps out side of a couple PC searches for a couple years. 

Not saying its better (particularly for people outside the US), but it's worked fine for us over the last few years. 
    williamlondoncaliwatto_cobrabrucemc
  • Reply 98 of 190
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

We shall see.

Uh....Since when did Google release a self driving car? The only semi-automous car I see being sold is Tesla.

So people are going to buy hundreds of millions of Pixel phones because its AI can beat an advanced Go player? LOL.

Your bias is really ridiculous. You have not spent a single second using Google Home and you already say its superior to a well established Echo line. Really? People call Apple fans sheep. I should start calling Google fans zombies. 

Google has been working on AI for over  decade. And the only thing they figured out is how to sell more ads.

You basic message is Google will use AI to destroy Apple, Amazon, IBM, Facebook, Tesla, ect. Sure dude.  Go preach your message in an Google forum.

I agree with you.  Google hyped its Translate program for being AI.  I have been using it heavily for translation between English and Chinese.  It is getting worse and worse. Many times it is laughable.  For example, it translates the english word distraction to something like hobby in Chinese.  This low level intelligence is more than funny.  It is completely unacceptable.  
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 99 of 190
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

We shall see.

Calm down. No need to bust a vein. You seem very upset, so this is my last response.

Google Home has been shown to demonstrate capabilities that the echo can't match. There are numerous hands on videos on YouTube. So even before release, Google Home seems to be much better and smarter than the Echo.

Yes, it is true that Google has better software and services than Apple does (e.g. Maps). However, the default services on Apple's platforms are often Apple services. Many times there's often no way to change the default service on Apple's platform. Hence, why Maps is more popular on the iPhone instead of Google Maps.

I'm confident if there was a level playing field, Google Maps on iPhone would be more popular than Maps. But there isn't a level playing field. Google Maps is after all, by far the largest mapping service in the world.

Either way people who are looking at the Pixel through the lens of just pure specs, like the author of this article, are just not seeing the bigger picture. Google is, finally, taking hardware seriously. And that's a big freaking deal for a hardware company like Apple.

Are they going to topple Apple overnight? Nope. Apple is better at supply chain management, retail and marketing. They should be. They've been doing this for decades. There's no way Google can match Apple overnight.

But if they can build a powerful brand image against their AI chops via their hardware, it won't be before long before consumers start seeing Google not only as a great software and service company, but also a great hardware company.

The Google Home is going to be the proving ground for this theory, not the Pixel.
    Google Maps better than Apple Maps?  This is an old myth.  Please look out Heatherway, California on both Apple Maps and Google Maps.  Google Maps is wrong.  Apple Maps is correct. 
    williamlondoncaliwatto_cobranolamacguy
  • Reply 100 of 190
    Haibane said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

We shall see.

I have Google Maps on my iPhone, and almost never use it. The user experience between the two is now negligible, and since Apple Maps is embedded in so many other apps, the use of a map defaults to Apple Maps all the time.

For example, the inter-relationship between Apple Maps and the Apple Watch is excellent, since the Watch taps the wrist to alert for upcoming turns. This is tremendously helpful if the noise level in the car can't always be controlled and ambient noise otherwise might cause a vocal direction to be missed. Google Maps doesn't have a play here.

Both services are, by now, excellent, as the aggregate of users has polished the integrity of the databases from which each draws its information. For that reason, I have both. But I can't recall a time in the past 1-2 years where I had to use Google Maps because Apple Maps gave me bad directions or simply failed to locate a destination I requested.
    caliwatto_cobrabrucemcnolamacguy