French company sues Apple over incomplete HTML5 support on iOS, macOS Safari

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    All this because Apple wants to optimise your battery life and refuses to pay Google a fee over WebM… two things I wholeheartedly support Apple to keep doing.
  • Reply 62 of 64
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 63 of 64

"It is more difficult in France than in the USA to get a ruling that contradicts the wording of the law," said Smets.

What?  Weird sentence.  More importantly, what IS the law that they believe Apple is violating?

Frankly, I'm surprised to hear that WebKit isn't as standards compliant as its competitors.  If true, Apple probably should rectify that. but I'm curious what law would require that, 

Whatever is the local law, it's nearly guaranteed to favor local industry over common sense.
  • Reply 64 of 64
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    holyone said:

holyone said:

A question : I'm not an expert infact I know nothing about coding this will probably sound very bumb but I dont care this' been bothering me for while and I cant figure it out, I was thinking is Apple's dependence on intel's chips because of the x86 instruction set ? which pretty much runs the world and intel entirely owns ? Is the problem of Apple going full custom ARM on their higher performance hardware like iMac large softwear penetration of the x86 standard ? that if Apple ditched intel chips, unacceptably lage amounts of softwear would be incompatible with the Mac thus hurting users ? I'm guessing there are also lots of minor hardware that function on x86 code but the iPhone does almost everything the iMac does be it on a limited terms. But if the issue is inconsivably large conversions effots of staple softwer to run on more efficient and modern ARM chips then is that impossible for Apple ? I was thinking what Apple could do to be less depended on an outsider for CPU and thought hey!!! they should buy intel but then thought why bother just make you're own chips I mean intell would cost a pretty penny with a tenth of that money Apple could open coding companies around the world to wright the extensive coding of all the essential staff to begin with once it's done and all the whining has died down and everybody has accepted that this is the future adoption might take hold. Imagine: S-series [32 bit] (apple watch etc) A and AX-series [64 bit] (iPhone and iPad/pro) K and KX- series [128 bit] (iMac, MacBook etc) all custom ARM Apple designed architecture I know I'm probably talking rubbish but any simple elaborations and clarifications would be much appricieterd. thanks
    It currently would be a MASSIVE step backwards going back to Motorola 68000 days. My understanding is that the ARM processor has no Intel code in it (PPC processors did) so to get apps like Wine or Parallels or VMWare etc to work would mean going back to emulator days and in doing so would make the software pretty much useable for the tasks at hand.

It would also hamper game porting and return us to the days where developers would be too lazy to port their games over to the Mac because of the development time required. Apple NEEDS to stick to the Intel processors on the desktops and laptops.
    I get what you're saying but what I'm getting at is a complete start over as in creat ARM versions of all those software you mentioned from scratch no intel crap whatsoever, is the iPad pro not damn near desktop class ? as a platform couldn't it some day provide similar performance for native software, couldn't all of windows 10 be recoded from scratch to run natively not "emulated" on an ARM chip ?
    NOT going to happen for the express reasons I already stated. Games will NOT be ported to ARM because the development time is HUGE. We've already been through this over 10 years ago when Macs were running PPC processors. Games never came and most business applications never came simply because the porting time was through the roof. It's not a simple process to port a game to a completely different processor for one OS.
    Apologies lowededwookie I seem to be frustrating and angering you unintentionally pls bear with me as I mentioned before this isn't my area of expertise and I'm just trying to understand, I seem to not be stating my argument very well I'm not talking about porting current Mac functionality to an iOS like platform ego "Games will NOT be ported to ARM" they shouldn't be the iOS platform and it's app store already has millions of games "It's not a simple process to port a game to a completely different processor for one OS" but iOS is ONE OS fully self sufficient, games that are made for iOS don't work on Macs, their quality is only limited by the iPhone's capacity for performance and battery life consideration but on a Mac those consideration are less significant. What I'm poorly saying is that the iPhone preaty much dose everything intel PC's did 10 years ago probably even better, today the smartphone is the center of the universe there are more ARM chips produce for the iPhone and iPad today then intel chips for the entire PC industry, intel is the past, businesses are going where people are and that on their cellphones day and night, my question isn't whether current Mac foundation should be ridiculously forced onto ARM foundation, that's not practical, what I'm saying is can't current iOS foundations be scaled up to Mac levels ? From OS softwear, all the way to ARM hardware ? A complet abandonment of intel legacies, sure it'll be a Pain and lots of things still function within intel x86 foundation but iOS does pretty well with out it does it not ? Would all of this really be as impractical as porting ? Thank you for you're sharing of insight in the subject much appreciated