Official Apple figures peg iOS 10 adoption rate at 54%

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple this week released the first official statistics on iOS 10 adoption since the OS went live in September, revealing more than half of compatible devices are now running current generation software.

Announced in an update to Apple's developer support website, iOS 10 powered 54 percent of iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices measured through the App Store as of Oct. 7.

Though adoption rates are growing, Apple's official numbers are far lower than those published by outside market research firms.

Mixpanel, for example, put iOS 10 adoption at 55 percent on Sept. 30, a figure identical to separate findings from AppLovin. Mixpanel's iOS 10 numbers jumped to 64.30 percent on Oct. 7, and the firm's live tracker shows Apple's latest OS powering around 67.55 percent of compatible devices as of this writing.

As with previous iOS releases, consumer uptake has been expectedly brisk. In lieu of official statistics from Apple, initial figures from Mixpanel put adoption at 14 percent after just 24 hours of availability.

It appears, however, that consumers this year are slower to make the switch as compared to prior iOS releases. Half of all users were running iOS 9 only four days after its release last year, for example.

For 2016, Apple's mobile OS delivers a handful of design enhancements and feature additions to Messages, Maps, Siri, Photos, Apple Music, News, and more. Perhaps most meaningful are changes in policy that allow third-party access to first-party platforms like Siri and Messages, the latter of which now boasts its own App Store featuring app extensions and stickers.

Apple's iOS 10 is available as a free update and can be downloaded through the Software Update function in the Settings app.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Really digging 10 so far - very nice update.  I've been noticing significantly better performance on my 6s+, and even slightly better battery life.  
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    ... and even slightly better battery life.  
    That's "cool" man... (inference intended!)
    watto_cobrawillcropointfreshmaker
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I'm not surprised. I couldn't wait to update. One reason was I also wanted watchOS 3. Would love to know adoption rate of that as well. Guess it would be way higher than iOS.
    edited October 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    People should stop comparing with 50% in 4 days for the iOS 9. That number was not under the usual official conditions for Apple, there was too much interference from an abnormal high number of people with iOS 9 who were looking to update their apps, etc.
    People should look at the number that came out at around the same time every year in October. It was 57% for iOS 9 on October 5, 2015 (19 days) VS 54% for iOS 10 after 24 days.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 5 of 13
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    Apple's least popular iOS in many years.
    Horrible new design and more complex, slower usage no doubt contribute to the slow up-take.
    The faster transitions just don't make up for the increased complexity, and therefore tediousness, of this version.
    Let's hope 11 reinstates iOS as the worlds most user-friendly mobile operating system, coz this ain't it!
    mike1
  • Reply 6 of 13

Really digging 10 so far - very nice update.  I've been noticing significantly better performance on my 6s+, and even slightly better battery life.  
    Me too, but I really don't like the extra panes and swiping necessary to achieve the same functionality as before. 
    mike1
  • Reply 7 of 13
    States of interface optimization exist and must be recognized.  I like 10, but... the most common mistake is to move things past the optimal state, just for the sake of doing it = Large rooms of UI people losing the thread.  

mike1brakken
  • Reply 8 of 13
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    iOS10 is definitely my least favorite update and the only one I regret doing. Too much change for change's sake.
    • No benefit at all to change how the phone unlocked. No reason to move widgets from top pull to swipe right.
    • Weather app keep changes the town name after accepting the correct name for a few minutes.
    • Volume belongs on the first Control Panel panel, not with music. Volume gets used with many apps, not just music.
    • Photos is way too complicated. Don't need or want undeletable folders for selfies, maps and people.
    • Contacts no longer exports the phone description to my car's BT system. Now I just get a list of phone numbers for a contact with no description such as home, work, cell etc. Same car as before, so I have to assume they changed the way Contacts are shared through BT.
    I will say the interface for the Music app is much better and being able to delete the "crap" apps is nice.
    edited October 2016 brakken
  • Reply 9 of 13
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    brakken said:
    Horrible new design and more complex, slower usage no doubt contribute to the slow up-take.
    The faster transitions just don't make up for the increased complexity, and therefore tediousness, of this version.
    Let's hope 11 reinstates iOS as the worlds most user-friendly mobile operating system, coz this ain't it!
    I think it's the best update in years...  go figure.
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 10 of 13
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Apple on Tuesday morning released IOS 10.1, Beta 3 for public Beta testing.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 11 of 13
    roake said:
    brakken said:
    I think it's the best update in years...  go figure.
    Love it or hate it, it's what we got!
    What, specifically, do you like?

I've found that Maps is even less accurate and more far-fetched than before. I don't need walking directions to someplace overseas.
    I'd rather have all controls on one screen, not two.
    The Material Design is awful: translucency, please!

Happily, Genres is back in Music, and the transitions are faster and more translucent. Stand-by battery seems better, too.

I'd like Wi-fi switching to function: even when losing one signal, iDevices won't pick up the router sitting right next to, but cling to the weak one.
    Swiping up on keyboard for hyphen etc is still a random game with no Award.
    Using BT headphones is a long, broken story with no climax. AirPods better have this resolved or I have a tantrum!

And wOS3 is more complex than Ubuntu! But hat's another post ;)
  • Reply 12 of 13
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    brakken said:

I'd like Wi-fi switching to function: even when losing one signal, iDevices won't pick up the router sitting right next to, but cling to the weak one.

Yes. I've noticed that too. Forgot about that in my pearlier post.

Swiping up on keyboard for hyphen etc is still a random game with no Award.

Didn't even know that was supposed to be a thing. Be cool if it worked.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    You know what's really pathetic?

No version of Android ever hits 30% adoption. The newest version takes a year to crack the 10% barrier, another year to crack 20% and then peaks in its 3rd year in the mid to high 20's before dwindling away again. Rinse and repeat.
    watto_cobrajony0