Apple patents method for embedding light sensors directly onto device displays

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    The iPhone 7 and 7+ just came out a few weeks ago and already we're spending an inordinate amount of time guessing what the iPhone 8, 8+ will look like.
    How about more talk about the "not boring" iPhone 7 and all of the wonderful features embedded in this device, plus IOS 10.

edited October 2016
  • Reply 22 of 24
    In my humble opinion the home button should disappear from the front and place it at the back where the user can click it with their index finger or on the side of the device, click with thumb.  This way there is more space for display at the front and also cheaper to produce the display.  If the future of systems are voice command than a home button is a secondary effect or completely unnecessary but again probably not possible for the next gen of smartphones.  Someone mentioned 3D implementation in the next gen phone but I think more of hologram implementation because VR is completely useless to consumers in the day-2-day usage.  I believe VR is the training ground for hologram.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 23 of 24
    Let's imagine for a moment that Apple has this edge-to-edge display, and has magically embedded a fingerprint sensor within the display, in a location roughly equivalent to the current home button, i.e. similar to the location marked as "virtual touch ID" on sog35's sketch, which is within the "almost" edge-to-edge display. Of course this phone is not a watch, it does not have a side-mounted home button or wheel. When you start up, the login screen shows a circle to indicate the fingerprint sensor area. After that, say you're watching a movie or running an app and want to go "home", you press the same area. How does the phone know you're "pressing the home button" rather than interacting with the app? Simple, it detects your fingerprint.